Write to your MP

Wij

I am a FH squatter
And ask them not to sign this Early Day Motion (or to sign it if you agree with it, free country isn't it (for now))

UK Parliament - Early Day Motions By Details

You can do it via WriteToThem - Email or fax your Councillor, MP, MEP, MSP or Welsh, NI, London Assembly Member for free. I've used it a few times and my MP does respond.

My take...

Bloody LibDems are trying to out-nanny-state NuLab now.

The initial report is full of misleading information.

e.g. Alcohol is 70% more affordable than in the 1970s.

This might well be taken to mean than it's 70% cheaper, which it isn't. It just means that it forms a much smaller portion of our spending power. It's worth noting that it's affordability has increased by much less than other goods like food.

Youths drinking on street corners are often drinking alco-pops which are already very highly priced per unit. Often well over the proposed 50p anyway and they can afford it. Teenagers have much more spare cash than the average pensioner who will likely have to give up one of their last remaining pleasures.

Don't get me wrong I could afford this but it's cash out of everyone's pocket for something that's perfectly legal to do. Why should that happen ?

Bloody Nazis (get the Nazi/Hitler thing in in 1st post.)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I cant write to my MP, Laura Moffat she probably agrees with them.

taB

Part of the furniture
I sell expensive booze so this would actually help us. If I was a stoodent still, I'd be narked though.

Chilly

Balls of steel
dont care. I have a job and dont rely on cheap grog to get me through the day.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'd write, but I don't have a UK MP anymore, and compared to here booze in the UK is dirt cheap. Even with these measures it would still be cheaper than Ireland (and they're probably going to put duty up even further next week :()

Of course if they put the price of booze up too much there's always smack ;)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
early day motions are ignored 99% of the time :(

thats what my MP told me when i asked him anyway :p

taB

Part of the furniture
early day motions are ignored 99% of the time :(

It's true, they're pretty irrelevant.

Also the government is on record saying that this is a crap idea (min alc price) in their opinion so it isn't gonna happen in the near future.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Ban alcopops and raise the drinking age to 21, half the problems solved in one go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom