Wow Us

Danhyr

Fledgling Freddie
My Flatmate bought WOW when he was out in the US... but when he plays it it brings up the US servers for him.

He wants to play with some of us on the european servers, is there anyway that anyone knows of for patching to the european servers from teh US client

Thanks

Dan

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Tried googling it?

I seem to recall either a simple IP change in a config file or maybe an option in your WoW control panel to convert your account to a EU one.

Athan

Resident Freddy
1) Has he already used the auth key in the box to create an account? And if so would I be right in assuming that account is on the US servers? If so he's just going to have to buy an EU box and create a new account as there is no way to move an account from the US to the EU servers.

2) Whilst in the past it has been reasonably easy to run a US client and point it at the EU servers, and is still in theory possible, it really is more trouble than it's worth every time that the different server farms end up on different versions of the software. This always happens when a big patch goes out, as the US gets the patch on Tuesdays, and the EU on Wednesdays. Also recently there was a mini EU patch, which the EU servers *require* you to have to play, that only fixed some Spanish language problems, and thus there was no US version of the patch.
In short it's REALLY not worth the hassle of playing on US with EU client or on EU with US client (or indeed on the Asian or Chinese realms if that's even possible due to things like the Chinese play-time restrictions).

If #1 is a definite 'no' such that he can create an EU account then the best bet is for him to either borrow CDs from one of you to do a full EU install and use that, or failing that grab a trial key (http://teaser.wow-europe.com/) and download the 'trial client' which is actually just the real client as it's the account that differs for trial, not the client.

-Ath

Athan

Resident Freddy
No, it's not safe. Or rather it's only safe if you know you can 100% trust whoever you're trading with.

Buying an account? The other person can retrieve it into their own control once more by giving certain details to Blizzard. If you complain Blizzard will simply nuke the whole account as their TOS/EULA specifically state you must not sell a WoW account.

Buying currency? You'll have to pay up front which is entirely open to them stiffing you. I'm not sure what action Blizzard would take if they ended up with your account as one of those that received a large amount of game currency from another character/account they'd tracked down as being involved in currency selling.

Power Levelling? You're trusting someone else with your whole account, including changing the password, and whilst you will be able to retrieve the account by telling Blizzard your original auth key (from thje game case) and a few other details, by then 'they' may have made off with all your money and items (selling the soulbound ones for extra game money).

So, entirely up to you. Personally I'd have nothing to do with anysuch. Half the fun of the game is levelling up your character yourself so you experience all the content, so that rules out buying an account or powerlevelling services. And those that buy game money just encourage all the farming bots which have been a growing problem this year.

-Ath

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom