WoW server tech.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Picked up a MoP collectors edition from HMV today for £6 how could I refuse? Not played for a good while and notices when I was playing I was playing in zones with other people from other servers, I was wondering if this is a Blizzard only technology for their servers. Or why can't other games use this as well?

I know the dungeon finder has had this for years now but this was a surprise.

I liked how the zones I were in never felt empty and there was always groups going.

I guess the community aspect suffers if you have multiple servers playing together but is that a good trade off for not having dead zones?

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
It's great for playing with all your internet buddies spread out among N different servers.

However, I can assure you that the tech behind is not trivial. WoW is one of the few existing games that actually have the userbase and dev with resources that warrant pulling this off. Some upcoming MMOs will have this feature aswell.

TSW has a similar technology where anyone on any server can play with anyone, globally. Although you don't get spread on different zone instances on other servers.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Makes you wonder if Blizz will be putting this into Project Titan from day 1?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It's a fucking dreadful feature.

You compete with other servers for resources, yet don't use the same AH/have the same server economy, this makes low level mats a pain to farm and stupidly expensive when leveling crafts on alts.

You rarely see the same people twice, lots of smack talking. Think LFR/LFG but all the time.

Apparently its even worse on PvP servers. Just a complete gankfest.

Aada

Part of the furniture

You compete with other servers for resources, yet don't use the same AH/have the same server economy, this makes low level mats a pain to farm and stupidly expensive when leveling crafts on alts.

You rarely see the same people twice, lots of smack talking. Think LFR/LFG but all the time.

That was my thought on the community down the shitter, but then again did WoW ever have one? :D

Cirventhor

Can't get enough of FH

This is my experience as well, no matter how impressive the technology may be.

Proper server communities seems to be a dying breed tbh. Not a fan of the "global server" fad going on atm, sadly ESO is doing it as well.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Actually I will side with the developers/infrastructure guys. The tech involved will NOT be trivial and that is something I admire and would love to understand and learn so I could use that in any future deployments I am involved with.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
hmm. Do you want to merge us with mumsnet or something?

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Have some ideas (generic without an idea) on how they've done is, is probably going to be heavily DB driven.. Massive zoning table (ZoneID | clusterID), cluster (ClusterID | cluster | totalPlayerCount etc) and probably has play count (so zones don't fill) running in 'real' time / zoning / Know to move to next available zone/clustered-region.

But.. Who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom