WoW Newbie impressions (guide for ex-Daocer's)

Cyviel

Fledgling Freddie
thought id post my experiences here for any DAOC'rs that might be thinking about swtiching but werent sure.

I moved over 3 days ago.

Started on a PvP Server.. simply because i wanted to kill more people more often than a regular server allows.

(Comparrison to DAOC)

Level wise levels 1-10 in WoW = Level 5 in DAOC skill wise.. at level 10 u start to train your profession skills, i chose hunter cos i wanted a versatile stelfer with pet abilities. and a lot like DAOC level 5 u get spec points to put into your chosen lines... the best part is u can unspec at any time \o/ by speaking to your trainer... best thing ever imo.

Levels 1-10.

These passed very quickly, the quests in WoW are very good, the xp money and rewards are great.. my only complaint was some of the quests were a little vague as to where you could find your target.. but still, if i found em anyone could.
People are willing to group regardless of class and specs.. since no-one actually cares how you spec your char in this game.. as a hunter i was expecting to be shunned.. but have been offered grps literally everytime i asked for help with a quest or xp session.

(Graphics)

Some places are amazing.. the cartooney gfx tbh after a while become almost natural.. and on my system handles over 50fps MORE than TOA.. even under 30vs30 situtaions..
Ive grown to love the gfx in WoW.. it now seems perfect for the game.. and the hippogryph rides still blow me away whilst swooping thru valleys and over water.
Even a moderate system around 1.5ghz would handle this fine.

(Sound)

Tbh my only complaint is that atm there are no combat sounds.. just silence and the random music playing.. wish theyd added some tbh.

(XP Grind)

This pwns DAOC tbh... when you die you dont lose even a fraction of the XP DAOC takes away... and you come away without swearing at the computer!!
Xp is fast and actually fun.. questing gives excellent xp/grps and items to equip.. and theres always a grp going for any given quest you need help with.
The pulling system is similar to DAOC in terms of aggro management, when duoing with another hunter by using our talents wisely we could bounce aggro so one was in melee and the other used bow then swapped over.. was very refreshing tbh.
Quests are available at ALL levels atm.. tbh there is literally more than a guy couod do in a week for every level.. ofc some require grps and some require solo play.. but ive actually enjoyed reading the story lines and stuff this time, certainly something i didnt do in DAOC.

(PvP)

Tbh its not that dis-similar to DAOC... but.. and its a big but... any class can easily beat any class 1v1.. which simply isnt possible in DAOC.. my Hunter given the opportunity and wise use of talents could quite happily take on any class and have a good chance 1v1..

the whole alliance Vs Horde thing is well balanced.. with contested areas for guaranteed PvP action, or the few daring raids into newbie zones to wreak havoc !! (yes its lame.. but its funny seeing 40+ lvl 30's appear in the start zones to beat you up)

Havnt really experienced mass PvP yet since the server is still very new.. but i think its going to much more fun that DAOC.. no elitist crap here.

(Community)

100% better than any DAOC server atm tbh, people offer and give advice all over the place, ive asked and answered lots of questions these last few days, wether this is just the whole newness of it all or a true server family will remain to be seen, but its good atm, although guaranteed some swedish guy will still spam the main channel with swede talk atleast 4-5 times a day =)

(Overall)

Dont let the childish appearance of WoW put you off... its far more complex than it lets on.. i chose fishing as a profession side line.. and omg i have to actually watch my float and have quick reflexes to click my line to catch fish and gain skill when it bobs down with a bite lol.. otherwise i get nothing hehe.. if i were to give it a % rating id sum it up as follows:

GFX: 95%
SFX: 90%
Playability: 98%
Lastability: 98%
Learning Curve: 2-7 days

Overall: 95%

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Glad you are enjoying the game :) I agree, it is a lot better than DAoC. Of course it could go the "elitist" route when they start introducing PvP rewards but, at this stage, it's well balanced and a lot of fun.

Nice post tbh. Sorry, couldn't resist ;) (tbh)

Syri

FH is my second home
Very good review, sums it all up nicely.
One slight thing though, the combat sounds are there. get lots of slashings, stabbings, and all that sort of thing, yells of pain, and everything.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah I have combat sounds also, lots and lots of different ones for the different weapons, mobs, etc. :eek:

Gungo

One of Freddy's beloved
Cyviel said:
(Graphics)

Some places are amazing.. the cartooney gfx tbh after a while become almost natural.. and on my system handles over 50fps MORE than TOA.. even under 30vs30 situtaions..
Ive grown to love the gfx in WoW.. it now seems perfect for the game.. and the hippogryph rides still blow me away whilst swooping thru valleys and over water.
Even a moderate system around 1.5ghz would handle this fine.

Couldnt agree with you more, exactly my thoughts too.

Cyviel said:

This is yet to be proven, but its got a fantastic start

Nice review mate :)

MesS°

One of Freddy's beloved
Cyviel said:
(Community)

100% better than any DAOC server atm tbh, people offer and give advice all over the place, ive asked and answered lots of questions these last few days, wether this is just the whole newness of it all or a true server family will remain to be seen, but its good atm, although guaranteed some swedish guy will still spam the main channel with swede talk atleast 4-5 times a day =)
lol u gotta be kidding me, this is 1 place DAoC has the upperhand by fare... Im hoping its just the lower levels... Lastnight 3 different ppl asked to join my group for 3 different quests, all 3 left without saying anything as soon as they got credit. Not a "did you get credit?" or simply "thx"...
Ppl skin/mine stealing left and right. And jumping your mob if they are in reach...

And "/leave 1" is the most important thing todo if you dont want to go insane, from ppl spamming in caps...

Cyviel said:
Im having a hard time seeing how you predict this tbh, seeing as there is hardly any end game...

Its new and all that, but i dont see how WoW will hold my interrest as long as DAoC did... Dont get me wrong im having a greate time in WoW, and im sure ill be knee deep in quest a couple of weeks more... :)

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
Cyviel said:
(Community)

This isn't correct.. the Community in WoW are alot younger.. I have experience from Closed Beta, Final Beta and Retail... and the DAoC community (at least on Mid/Exc) was/is better.

Ask a question about _any_ quest in General in WoW and you mostly recieve either "www.thottbot.com" or "ffs read the f*cking quest noob" or something similiar.

I have to turn off the General chat in Barrens, I can't take it.. people are talking Swedish (yeah I'm swedish too), insulting eachother etc etc.

Perhaps that will change over time.. but this was the scenario on Stormscale over this weekend at least.

Maghica

One of Freddy's beloved
Hey Urme ;) nice to meet you here on these boards!

BokkeRijders is playing on Bloodhoof (normal/alliance) and the community is very friendly here, people go our of their way to group with somebody to show them the quest-guys and although Channel1 has some random chatter (some swedish :p ) it is far from annoying.

We even get: 'I'm gonna kill loads of x-beasts, any skinner wanna folow me?' remarks on Channel1.

I loved DAoC and still do :clap: but WoW is like Disneyland! It makes me all happy and I wanna go skipping and dancing all over the place...

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
nice review

pretty much sums up how im finding the game as well :)

hopefully the pvp stuff when implemented wont change things too much

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
Maghica said:
Hey Urme ;) nice to meet you here on these boards!

I loved DAoC and still do :clap: but WoW is like Disneyland! It makes me all happy and I wanna go skipping and dancing all over the place...

Hehe hello :)

I still enjoy to play DAoC, but not as much as I did 6 months ago.. and WoW is fresh and new.. just like DAoC when it was released. And the emotes in WoW are great :) I'm pretty sure I will Ding 60 in WoW and then I'll see if I'm going back to DAoC or if I'm gonna continue with WoW... only time will tell!

Ogri

Fledgling Freddie
oblimov said:
nice review

pretty much sums up how im finding the game as well :)

hopefully the pvp stuff when implemented wont change things too much

I'll just agree with anything Obli says, glad I bought it tbh.

Cyviel

Fledgling Freddie
if your experiencing community problems hop over to dragonmaw alliance.. lovely little family we have going here.. sure you get your average spastics that act like nobs, but tbh you can avoid them no matter where you go...

Sounds.. hmm maybe i got a box un-checked somewhere then cos i hear nothing in combat atm.. =(

as for my lastability factor i think it came from a combination of what ive experienced so far.. i.e the fun factor/xp/grp factors plus the server im on helps.. its not full of some of the retarded ex doacer's that went the bladefist and now complain they have to queue to get in.. lol.. exactly why i didnt choose that server...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom