WOW killed LAN Parties

Comos

Loyal Freddie
I don't know about other countries but here anti-leeching rules killed lanparties. The majority went to a LAN to download movies, games, MP3's,... at 10MB/s from eachother. Gaming was something you did while your 1TB of diskspace was filling up. About 30% or less went just for gaming I guess, judging by what's left of our biggest LANParties since they introduced the new rules.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Its true, mmorpgs killed off the old fashion lan party.

When I was a nipper, I used to go to lan centres as broadband was too expensive at the time. Started off with Computer Exchanges version, then one called Lan city then finally ended up at Ozwaldo's one called Ozzis(how original)

Basically, it started out with massive cs/unreal parties till 10am the next morning in the first two shops, hell remember one time playing bomberman vs 16 others! :eek:

Then when I found myself at ozzis, I started out on SWG when Is aw how good it looked. Before long, 8 of the regulars had an account, all off which went to everynighter, including me. When a shop has 16 pcs, thats half the shop, making lan gaming inrrelevant as noone wanted to play anything but SWG. This led to some who didnt have the accounts to stop coming. DAOC came out and 6 of us decided to play that, with the others on SWG. Then finally wow came out about a year after, and those that bought SWG were joined by another 5 or so with WoW. So trhats all the shop in a lan centre on a mmorpg. The lan allnighters became shit with noone wanting to do anything but mmorpgs.

Towards the end of the shop, a few manageed to find a decent CS server, however it was a WOW mod one. So between the mmorpg WOW and the cs version of wow, combined with a couple of lads who played tower defense mod on warcraft rts, there wasnt much gaming there that didnt inlvove blizzard in some way.

On that note, the Ozzis team got to the finals of bf vietnam before the wow mmorpg hit, as soon as that hit it devesated the team. At the final, noone played any more, Me with DAOC and all the nubjes played WOW. No wonder we got spanked by the Newcastle team*(cant remember those buggers names) :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom