WoW Could be good for Daoc

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
Thorwyn[B&Q] said:
You´d be surprised what marketing can do. But good to know that there are still people who don´t believe in this mechanisms. All the more money for us! ;)

Marketing is the step to make people buy the game.

However, for a MMORPG you need a game that will keep the player satisfied for a long time so that the players keep playing it. Something that even most of Blizzard's non-MMORPG games have accomplished, which is why most people have faith in World of Warcraft.

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
I haven't read most of this thread, but I think Gamoh's main point was that WoW will popularise the MMORPG genre, and draw many people who hadn't taken much notice of anything but big FPS/Driving/Sports games in the past, to consider MMO gaming.

True, if people don't like WoW, they probably won't like DAOC either, but many who take to WoW but want a more competetive and deeper RvR system, will end up looking for other MMORPGs, and DAOC may end up with a larger playerbase in the long term.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Xeanor said:
Marketing is the step to make people buy the game.

However, for a MMORPG you need a game that will keep the player satisfied for a long time so that the players keep playing it. Something that even most of Blizzard's non-MMORPG games have accomplished, which is why most people have faith in World of Warcraft.

There's more to marketing than "buy our soap powder!" - I'm sure someone who spent far too much time studying it could lecture you on brand awareness and the likes.

e.g. the sort of thing that makes people forget how horrible and buggy online diablo 2 was ;)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Tiques said:
Catacombs make soloing without a buffbot easier, that the hole point of the expansion, the new clases CANT be buffed but have their stats increased like if they where buffed (unfair to no-bb players really, camlann will surdenly fell some pain I guess, as many run without BB there)

acually i only think its the vampiir that cant benefit from buffs.. not entirely sure tho, but ive only read it as the vampiir is the only new class that wont benefit from buffbots.

Eradicate

Fledgling Freddie
I doubt Pre_NF frontiers will help in this stage, most people have already made up their mind and are determined to play WOW.

Let them get bored first of the pokemon alike game, some will return others cant be arsed to play daoc ever again..so be it.
Giv server-clustering to boost rvr activity

VidX

One of Freddy's beloved
and afaik, the Heretic can buff themselves with all but the haste buff... Granted, can still make use of a buffbot, but perhaps a paladin would be better with guard.

VidX

One of Freddy's beloved
Flimgoblin said:
There's more to marketing than "buy our soap powder!" - I'm sure someone who spent far too much time studying it could lecture you on brand awareness and the likes.

e.g. the sort of thing that makes people forget how horrible and buggy online diablo 2 was ;)
Go way back to the old Betamax/VHS argument. The superior format lost due to superior marketing.

Then again, SW:G had alot of hype and marketing, but largely failed due to an incomplete and badly thought-out game, how many people swore they'd leave DAoC for it, only to return a few months later?

Yes, WoW can bring more people into the mmorpg genre, but they need to be made aware of what is out there so that they can choose what to play. There's alot of advertising going on at the minute on Fileplanet in regards to the US Catacombs, what needs done is agressive advertising on the large EU sites for the EU version.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Well, if u wanna take the testimony of an ex-daoc player...

When i 1st left the game (due to the main reason it has been discussed here over n over), i thought i might come back once.... But after some months n trying other games, now i know the chances of coming back are tiny.
Im pretty sure many of the ex-players have the same thoughts.

Doubt DAOC will be the same crowded game it once was :(

Indio

Fledgling Freddie
WoW good for daoc? More likely it will be the worst thing that has happened to daoc in its entire existence.

I logged on to daoc tonight for a brief visit and the drabness of the place, sitting on my backside for ages waiting for power to regen, the headbanging stupidity of PvP which has deteriorated to simply running around Bledmeer, plus the usual AWFUL lag - was enough to remind me how much I am looking forward to Friday.

knighthood

Fledgling Freddie
A good idea to save Daoc would be to add an ingame Solid Snake and Otacon desperatly trying to stop a Metal Gear Dragon , and and .... Revolver ocelot and Liquid and and.......

Bah :p , im kind of bored atm, Metal Gear 3 aint out till March 3 over here.

On Topic though : Well wait and see, cant see Daoc dying out too quickly what with the large playerbase it still has <x2 if u count bots> , can only cross fingers the original poster turns out to be right :) , personally i cba to learn another MMorpg. And also the more people that bugger off the quicker ill move up the Ranks hehe, if i could only stop deleting chars

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom