WoW Could be good for Daoc

Gamah

Banned
OK,

I know this is a bit far fetched however hear me out. WoW at first will be devastating to Daoc Europe (I think Prydwen will be most hurt) However, WoW has the Warcraft franchise behind it and will attract many new players who possibly would not consider playing a MMORPG before. In simple terms it will drive more volume to the MMORPG market.

Now consider some of these people get bored with WoW (As many have complained) but decide they like the MMORPG style..Daoc is the only serious contender when it comes to MMORPG's in terms of modern games the other greats (AO, EQ) Etc have had there day and EQ2 (Although I like it) Would not attract people who like player vs player situations.

Now about the time people start getting bored with WoW (month or so) we should see a release of Daoc Catacombs a helpfull expantion for new players and if GOA market it right those Ex-WoWers looking round for there next MMORPG experiance will see this and think cool, i'll give it ago. So WoW would have introduced a lot of fresh blood into the MMORPG market and if they decide WoW is not there thing but they like the MMORPG concept we could have tonnes of fresh blood incomming to try Doac and extend its life a few years.

So GOA this is possibly the last opotunity to save Daoc, Catacombs is perfectly timed and if you put in strong marketing we could have healthy servers once again.

Just a few ideas I have had, please comment :)

Xxcalibur

One of Freddy's beloved
less drugs, soon prydwen population will be 400-500 , no viable New frontiers in prydwen, givv old emain Imo

Gamah

Banned
I am ofc talking long term :eek:, and I am sure your bm will still be around to hit me for insane dmg :p

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Xxcalibur said:
less drugs, soon prydwen population will be 400-500 , no viable New frontiers in prydwen, givv old emain Imo
Where are you getting your numbers from? You've started/posted in a number of threads prophesising the death of the Euro servers but I've not seen any actual facts. You seem to think that everyone will go to WoW when it goes live this week but you forget that the majority of the people who want to play WoW have already left and been been playing it for the last 2 months. I don't think we'll see a significant population dip when WoW goes live.

Outlander

Part of the furniture
well I for one am staying in daoc so I can hit twolls with wooden spoons :twak:

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
I am ofc talking long term :eek:, and I am sure your bm will still be around to hit me for insane dmg :p

the older a game gets the less appealing it becomes, also remember that if maybe they dont like WoW they wont like daoc at all, i think that for most of those 'new players' the initial pve in daoc wont give a very good impression of the game compared to WoW, especially with so little other low levels around and questing isnt really a option in daoc and soloing without a bot a pain in the arse (unless cata changes that in some way) ;o

also, people who get bored with daoc again after coming back might go back to wow when a pvp patch comes, once a traitor always a traitor :rolleyes:

Xxcalibur

One of Freddy's beloved
chretien said:
Where are you getting your numbers from? You've started/posted in a number of threads prophesising the death of the Euro servers but I've not seen any actual facts. You seem to think that everyone will go to WoW when it goes live this week but you forget that the majority of the people who want to play WoW have already left and been been playing it for the last 2 months. I don't think we'll see a significant population dip when WoW goes live.

i check which guild groups are moving to Wow , and think like 90 % are moving , so our frontier will be only rogues and 4 or 5 old friends

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Well, it may be different in other guilds, but as Chretien said, in ours those who are heading over to WoW did so during US and Euro betas, and are happily setting up the Templars there. There has been noone else saying they are planning to go, and we've had one who did coming back.

Darzil

Chesnox

Fledgling Freddie
What Morchaoron said basically.

If you expect people new to MMORPGs to leave WoW after a month (because they're bored) and come to DAoC then you're living in cloud cuckoo land. Regardless of the strength of DAoCs endgame vs. WoWs endgame, DAoCs PvE totally sucks compared to WoW, even with Catacombs.

Also, most of the people professing to be bored of WoW after a month are probably the most hardcore of MMORPGers. The majority of new and casual players won't be bored of WoW for several months, and it is inconceivable when/if they do become bored with WoW, they would find anything in DAoCs PvE that isn't much worse.

Bibi

Fledgling Freddie
chretien said:

Hes just realistic. Majority of ppl played both - wow and daoc coz there wasnt much point to bump up beta character. More and more accounts are closing, less and less ppl gonna renew. About new ppl - they cant complete coz daoc is kind full time work. Even old players feel that TOA-stuffing , MLing up new char is kinda impossible, we cant talk much about new players who dont have know-how. Then more that hardcore ppl ( most of them 4 sure ) played daoc since 1st year and quitted by big numbers for now or doing it very soon.
Catacombs ? Whay should i give money for addon what only makes ppl for more PvE when i can get band new and more improving game for same money and do PvE there ?
Just my options... And for info- i like to stay in Daoc, but playing in empty server is pointless .. Summary - no options ? :p

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Morchaoron said:
the older a game gets the less appealing it becomes, also remember that if maybe they dont like WoW they wont like daoc at all, i think that for most of those 'new players' the initial pve in daoc wont give a very good impression of the game compared to WoW, especially with so little other low levels around and questing isnt really a option in daoc and soloing without a bot a pain in the arse (unless cata changes that in some way) ;o
Yes, that's the difference that Catacombs makes, or so I've heard. Lots more quests, easier to level, and able to quest to 50 if you want.

Soloing without a bot really depends on class. I've only really found it tricky on melee characters without a self heal of some kind (So in Albion, Mercenary, Infiltrator and Armsman), and then only after 20 or so. My Mercenary used to solo, as I only played the game when my wife was out, (as she didn't play the game, and I hate leaving groups a short notice), so I created a cleric on my tailor's account. Now she plays the game, and has both the cleric and tailor among her characters - a much better plan !

Darzil

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
i check which guild groups are moving to Wow , and think like 90 % are moving , so our frontier will be only rogues and 4 or 5 old friends

Eat more poo! Billions of flies can´t be wrong!

Gamah

Banned
yea give back the mile gate being camped by 6 assasins :(

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
flies eat poo to survive, people play mmorpgs for entertainment ;o

flies would also survive by eating blueberry pie. people would also be entertained by playing good games instead of hyped BS.

see the analogy? :)

Tiques

Fledgling Freddie
Morchaoron said:

also, people who get bored with daoc again after coming back might go back to wow when a pvp patch comes, once a traitor always a traitor :rolleyes:

Catacombs make soloing without a buffbot easier, that the hole point of the expansion, the new clases CANT be buffed but have their stats increased like if they where buffed (unfair to no-bb players really, camlann will surdenly fell some pain I guess, as many run without BB there)

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Thorwyn[B&Q] said:
flies would also survive by eating blueberry pie. people would also be entertained by playing good games instead of hyped BS.

see the analogy? :)

flies act on instinct, they eat whats edible to them, people play what they like, they are free to make that choice ;o

and what you actually mean is that you don't like the game, thats all, fly analogies have nothing to do with it ;p

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Thorwyn[B&Q] said:
rofl

yeah dude.. you sure know what you´re talking about.

like you know...

would you play a game that you dont like?

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
If you´re studying game design and developement as your profile says, you´re supposed to know about the impact and effects of marketing. You can litteraly sell shit if you´ve got the right marketing ressources. It´s nothing new and it´s covering all kind of products, from music over TV to computer games. How do you explain the success of casting shows? Or the Yu-Gi-O crap? You really think WoW is anything else but just another mmorpg? The only difference is, that WoW is one of the biggest marketing hypes that the gaming industry ever went through... and we have seen quite a few in the past.

well.. nevermind. This thread is about WoW and how cool it is for DAOC.

Elendar

One of Freddy's beloved
in order for the new players to mmorpg to start playing doac they would have to find out about it, then buy it
rather hard with goa's non existant marketing and poor shop stocking

Revz

Fledgling Freddie
What was your TFC nick Morchaoron and who did you play for?

To be slightly on topic: Everyone can see on Friday and the coming weeks what sort of impact WoW will have when it is released. As far as who is staying/going can anyone provide a list of top RvR guilds that are staying? From what I've seen most of the big ones have already gone.

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
Thorwyn[B&Q] said:
If you´re studying game design and developement as your profile says, you´re supposed to know about the impact and effects of marketing. You can litteraly sell shit if you´ve got the right marketing ressources. It´s nothing new and it´s covering all kind of products, from music over TV to computer games. How do you explain the success of casting shows? Or the Yu-Gi-O crap? You really think WoW is anything else but just another mmorpg? The only difference is, that WoW is one of the biggest marketing hypes that the gaming industry ever went through... and we have seen quite a few in the past.

well.. nevermind. This thread is about WoW and how cool it is for DAOC.

Do you really think it's a marketing hype because Blizzard put million of dollars into marketing? Don't think so. The marketing almost took care of itself, everything.

People know what kind of games Blizzard makes, good games. Like me, there's many others that played Starcraft lots and lots, and Diablo lots and lots, and Diablo 2 day and night, and Warcraft III a lot, and loved all of those games. Hell, my first fun RTS game was Warcraft II. These people were all looking forward to WoW while Blizzard did f*ck all marketing, and when they got their hands on the beta they loved it and played days and days, like me.

You're really living in a different world if you think people play games because of "marketing". Sure, some people won't play a game just because they don't know about it, but the marketing for WoW almost took care of itself totally, because Blizzard have a incredibly good reputation and actually make incredibly good games. And Blizzard have always had incredibly good support in every game, especially when talking about server uptime and patches.

"Look after the customer and the business will take care of itself."

Take a game like Black & White, overhyped because EA Games put loads of money into the marketing, which works out bad as we've seen, because the game was complete crap and contained a bug and because of that you couldn't even finish the single player, how fucked up is that! But WoW has already been played and tested by a lot of people, and most love it.

Well, to say the truth, EA Games are shit anyway. :)

Formash

Fledgling Freddie
Morchaoron said:
like you know...

would you play a game that you dont like?

I do .. its called the game of life. ;)

Just wondering what COH will bring to the mix - as they are planning a release of City of Villians which will mean good vs evil PVP style.

I see COH as an alternative MMORPG, as its nothing really like DAOC or WOW in the fact that it has a very different outlook on the gaming genre.

Ofc, its a lot like those 2 in the PVE aspect, but to me more varied, and holds my attention longer.

The thing is it all comes down to personal preference. If one person likes DAOC he/she will stay, if another like WOW, they will leave. I play COH more than DAOC, because I prefer it now. I'll be trying WOW on release, on friday. You can't say ill move to WOW from DAOC / COH just because i weant to see what its like.

Nobody can dictate what will happen as nobody knows everyones choices. its all about personal preference.

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
Diablo II 1.10 took like 2 years tho Xean ;p

Starcraft still one of the biggest games in the asian area of ze world to I heard :p

Catacombs Makes leveling so easy its insane to compared it to pre cata.

Instanced task dungeons. you can pick corridor for long ranged attacks or pick close combat dungeon. all up to your own taste and class.

Have a bb? Take it with you and get +1 lvl on the mobs and still same xp.

INSTANCED xp is the cata version of camp bonus. and it never goes down and is sickening high. Task dungeons also ends with a big exp reward+coin.

Or you can do normal instanced dungeons. that drops a kind of seal like df but for items in Inconnu city and those items are actually really good. the juwelry are sweet ;p Made temporary templates around those items for our guild til arties.

Try Cata. its a really gr8 expansion :)

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
Chimaira said:
Diablo II 1.10 took like 2 years tho Xean ;p

Starcraft still one of the biggest games in the asian area of ze world to I heard :p

Catacombs Makes leveling so easy its insane to compared it to pre cata.

Instanced task dungeons. you can pick corridor for long ranged attacks or pick close combat dungeon. all up to your own taste and class.

Have a bb? Take it with you and get +1 lvl on the mobs and still same xp.

INSTANCED xp is the cata version of camp bonus. and it never goes down and is sickening high. Task dungeons also ends with a big exp reward+coin.

Or you can do normal instanced dungeons. that drops a kind of seal like df but for items in Inconnu city and those items are actually really good. the juwelry are sweet ;p Made temporary templates around those items for our guild til arties.

Try Cata. its a really gr8 expansion :)

It's still all just mobbashing...

Now you'll say "But the questing in WoW is mob bashing too!"

...well... yes, but there's always a goal you have to reach if you're doing quests, I get a quest from a NPC in WoW and I can see what the reward is, and then I'm like, oh! cool! I want that! and go do the quest and by the time I did a lot of those quests I was lv20 already :p

And D2 1.10 just made the PvE harder... before that, the first time I finished Act 1 - Act 4, it was f*cking brilliant too, don't need 1.10, and I played at least 200 hours more after killing Diablo for the first time :p

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
I´m not going to excessively discuss things like this here on these boards because they´re too complex and timeconsuming to cover appropriately and from all different POV`s.

Let me just say that yes, I DO think that a good portion of Blizzards oh so flawless reputation is the result of dumping millions of dollars into marketing. What else but a huge marketing mechanism do you think is the BNet for example? Blizzard was wasting millions of $ into this platform.... why? Because they´re idealistical and want to do something for their community?

And Blizzard have always had incredibly good support in every game, especially when talking about server uptime and patches.

Yeah.. it took them 4 years to finally bring a patch that made Diablo 2 unplayable. Sounds like good support to me. :)

Get me right, I`m not saying Blizzard games are bad. They´re actually pretty good, but still, to a large extend, their huge success is not only a result of quality. It´s a result of clever marketing and they´re living from the reputation the´ve gained (and payed for). There´s nothing wrong with that, it´s just important to realise it. Blizzard is pretty good at what they´re doing and they know exactly how to use their power.
WoW is a good, solid mmorpg. It´s definitely not a revolution of the genre like so many people tend to say. It´s that kind of hype and fanboyism, the lack of even the slightest ability to think critically and objectively, that´s distorting the market and that´s responsible for empty bubbles like the mentioned Black&White disaster.

You're really living in a different world if you think people play games because of "marketing".

You´d be surprised what marketing can do. But good to know that there are still people who don´t believe in this mechanisms. All the more money for us! ;)

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Thorwyn[B&Q] said:

It is true that you can sell the biggest crap games through right marketing, however, with mmorpgs its the point to keep the players in the game even AFTER they bought the crap, while ofcourse blizzard has the advantage of having a big budget and a good name due to some other succesful titles which will improve the sales of WoW, this doesnt mean that its a bad game which people play ONLY because its hyped...

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Tiques said:
the new clases CANT be buffed but have their stats increased like if they where buffed (unfair to no-bb players really, camlann will surdenly fell some pain I guess, as many run without BB there)

Actually this only applies to the Vampiir, the rest of the new classes can be buffed normaly, altho they all solo very well nevertheless because of selfbuffs and strong utility and such.

On topic:
I hope Gamah is right, and that we will see more newbie mmorpg'ers brought into the genre with the release of WoW. I doubt people will get tired of it in one month however. But, when they do get tired of it i can see them chosing daoc as an alternative, if they know about it that is. Requiel told us a couple days ago that they had hired a new team to promote the game in the UK, so maybe we will see some more hype of Cata/DAoC in the near future. I certainly hope so.
I think we will see a further slight dip in population following friday and the coming weeks, not a huge one, maybe -100/server primetime or so, but i also belive we will see many players returning to try Catacombs, which has had a very positive reception in the US (i.e. people seem to like it, very little whine etc). As people have already pointed out most of those who are leaving for wow have already done so. Myself im gonna do the WoW thing on friday, but i plan to be back in daoc to try Cata with several others in my guild, and i will also keep my main daoc account open so i can help guildmates and do some rvr now and then in the time between.
At this time im actually more excited about Catacombs than about WoW - although WoW is a great game for sure, DAoC still has lots to offer. And with Catacombs released most of the nice features of wow will exist in DAoC, since cata featues tons of quests, new gfx, solo friendly and fast exping etc. Some of the ToA stuff is also beeing adressed in upcoming patches, which will make it easier for the new players that hopefully start with Cata release to complete the process of getting rvr ready.

Anyway, its pretty nice to be a mmorpg'er these days with several big titles striving hard to compete for the customers. Competition is good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom