WoW and PvP.

Tierce_

Fledgling Freddie
I really have no idea what the PvP server is like, so if any accounts of how the PvP part of the game is would be muchos appreciated...

:flame:
rarr

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
I havent actively gone out to try and pvp yet (my highest level is 30) but ive done some pvp nontheless when questing in contested areas, and while it can occasionally be frustrating to be gangbanged by 5 nightelf hunters it also adds a nice element of uncertainty when questing. You can never feel safe no matter if the quest seems simple, or youve done it before, since you never know when an enemy player might show up and decide to attack you.

That beeing said, now when people have tried the random ganking a bit it seems like many have decided that you dont have to fight every single time you see an enemy. Ive ran past alliance members doing their thing, and vice versa, when we both, probably, were just interested in finishing our respective quests. All in all, beeing on a pvp server adds an element of surprise that i like - it feels more like warcraft. Will play on a pvp server in release for sure.

[TB] Benedictine

Fledgling Freddie
I was terrified of PvP server, but having recently started to quest in contested areas (mainly ashenvale at lvl 25) I have found it to be fun as Faha says.

I don't mind being attacked by people when I have a remote chance of making a fight of it (as happened yesterday - great fights all night). However, the other side also happened last night - lvl??s corpse camping and camping splintertree (for what reason) - I should point out this is not a whine ;)

The excitement far outweighs the negatives (mainly since death penalty is neglible) and I am looking forward to retail on a pvp server.

btw /bow to Mordecai last night if you read this forum. We fought - I won/he won - we passed each other and went on our way, and to the lvl 19 druid who had a bash (and failed!)

Fin

Fledgling Freddie
there is a cure to corpse camping, rezz and move to other areas to quest.

whne u r 30, u got quests in 4 different areas, f.ex horde, barrens, stonetalon, ashenvale and 1k needles. so move to those areas if 1 is "camped".

or use range when rezzing and then just speed away to closest FP and then fly away

Dommelsch

Fledgling Freddie
Fin said:
there is a cure to corpse camping, rezz and move to other areas to quest.

whne u r 30, u got quests in 4 different areas, f.ex horde, barrens, stonetalon, ashenvale and 1k needles. so move to those areas if 1 is "camped".

or use range when rezzing and then just speed away to closest FP and then fly away

Yeah like people can be arsed to pay a visit to the healer when wearing quite good armor which will be taken down 25% of their max durability.

I'd say log off and play an alt, or go towards your grave and look if you can hide behind a tree or rock, while being able to accept the rezz, and from there trying to get out of there.. alive!

Fin

Fledgling Freddie
it takes only cash to repair, u will get richer in RL when u have more cash in game? and at lvl's 20-30 that repairing will cost basicly nothing, at lvl 45+ it might but now we r talking about lower lvl's, 20s to repairs, so what .

pay that or get killed every 2 mins at your corpse, imo cheap price

Vesuvius

Fledgling Freddie
havnt actually had much of a problem with being corpse camped yet tbh. on beta 5 pvp most alliance population seems to be hunters or paladins :p hunters can be quite hard to escape from(aspect of the cheetah/pack, snare shot) if their so high poly wont land, anywayz, hunters need to be considerably higher lvl to beat a well played mage and ... well even a lvl 50+ paladin is easy to escape from, even after a fresh rez

the various other classes can be annoying but like one of the posts already said... rezz behind a rock or put a mob inbetween u and your nme or something.. theres usually somewere obscure..
good example was at 32 i got jumped by a 38 mage at dabyrie farm in arathi highlands.. she started camping my corpse... soo just went behind the nearest house... rezzed.. rested.. waited for her to pull sumit then took my revenge. :flame:

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Ok this is my view on the pvp servers.

1st off all its fucking anoying that u can see their names instead of Elven Warrior / Elf blabla like at daoc.

Though if don't go pvp, it will be as boring as hell :x
U will have the same from 1 to 60 not any different things.. ":

I haven't saw any body camping :)
1 time a elf was at my body, but after he pwned my priest once.. he cheerd at me and we continued dooing our own thing.

and about that 25% drop at rezz
who cares? u get new armor like every couple of lvl's.. :)
And when ur 60.. ur prolly a rich bi*ch so u can repair anyway:D

Shawr

Fledgling Freddie
If someone is corpse camping you, report them. Blizzard see it as griefing and will do something about it (even if it's just a warning the first time).

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Shawr said:
If someone is corpse camping you, report them. Blizzard see it as griefing and will do something about it (even if it's just a warning the first time).
Will start to do that getting tired of nonestop camping that some guilds are doin. Last week a mate and me, was corpse camped for 2 hours when we used the angel and went to another location, they finally found us later and put up camp there. Forgotten Realms, NOC, and a guild the dwarf Paladin Seventh is in. Are the worst campers.

What really is sad about theese guilds/people is when you run into them and they are alone, they run as soon as they see you. The paladin i ran into when i was 2 lvls higher he used his stun seal or what it is, jumped on his horse and ran off, 2 days later he jumped me when i was fighting 2 elite mobs same lvl as me, and killed me 4 times in a row, when a 5 lvls higher rogue came he rode off.

Vesuvius

Fledgling Freddie
ye reporting works.. was grouped with a rogue who got reported for harassment in the form of corpse camping in dalaran.. GM appeared n told em anymore than 3 times was considered harassment and to please move on.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
WiZe^ said:
Camlann part 2. :m00:

Try and find some content for your posts, WiZe^.... we have stated severaol times that this area will not be allowed to end up a spam fest like some parts of the DAOC boards. If you persist in posting without content then you stay will be short.

/rant

On topic:

Fana said:
That beeing said, now when people have tried the random ganking a bit it seems like many have decided that you dont have to fight every single time you see an enemy. Ive ran past alliance members doing their thing, and vice versa, when we both, probably, were just interested in finishing our respective quests. All in all, beeing on a pvp server adds an element of surprise that i like - it feels more like warcraft. Will play on a pvp server in release for sure.

This is very true... I have enjoyed the edge of sometimes having enemy players around and knowing I might get attacked, and indeed occasionally attacking enemies we have run into along the way. Last night was funny... I was doing a pain in the butt quest where you have to gather 8 bones out of about 80 kills, and there was a level 29 hunter and 24 paladin who turned up (I am a level 31 warrior). Now, I could have had a try to get them, but I was a long way from base and it was late, and all I wanted was the bloody bones (dammit!!!) so I went into an emote frenzy, waving, blowing kisses, bowing and then pointing at the mobs indicating I was there for them, and we ended up happily hunting alongside each other for a while :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
hate breeds hate..after a few weeks ppl will be killing regardless. probably some guyild will think its cool too kos any horde or alliance dependant on what type they are.

Shawr

Fledgling Freddie
I attack anyone I see who's around my level. I'm still learning pvp tactics with my chosen class (druid) and revel in any opportunity I get to test out any ideas I've had. Unfortunately I've yet to meet an alliance mage/warlock of similar level to myself so I'm still unsure of the best way to deal with either (where do you level 30ish alliance mages/warlocks hang out? :p ). All I seem to run into at the moment are warriors/paladins/rogues and the odd hunter. I've also fought a couple of priests but haven't figured them out yet (every fight has ended as a stalemate). If I win and I see them repop, then I just salute them and run on. If I lose, then i rest back up and come back for another try.
I don't attack anyone if they're currently fighting, and generally let them rest up to full health/mana before I pop out of stealth and attack (there is the odd exception, for example if I can't find anything else to fight in the area I might jump a paladin or priest who's low on mana if he's 5+ levels above me)

Of course my "honour" may go right out the window as soon as some sort of reward for pvp is added to the game. :p But as it stands at the moment, I don't see the point in attacking anyone who has absolutely no chance at killing you. It's no fun for me...and certainly no fun for them.

[TB] Benedictine

Fledgling Freddie
Indeed - I got ganked at lvl 6 with my new mage last night - it was a set-up to turn on my pvp flag (not quite sure even now how they did it) - 2 lvl 35+s

I intend on having a little black book of gankers :clap:

The rest I will continue to /wave /hug etc

Vesuvius

Fledgling Freddie
on server pvp 5... theres a certain degree of restraint when it comes to PvP atm.. like shawr says i'm sure this'll change if a reward system is implemented..but atm area's such as Stranglethorn, booty bay, which are very high population with both realms.. and alot of shared quests theres a very limited amount of people attacking on sight.. usually if attacks are made, its by someone lower lvl who just seems to be testing his limits. In these kinda areas i think people are smart enuff to know if they're gonna gank everyone they see, they aint gonna get any questing done in the area.
I sure as hell make sure if someone jumps me i definately take any opportunity to pay em back..

SilverHood

FH is my second home
We have the same on PvP 6 - Arathi Highlands, Desolace and Alterac are all pretty good for questing.... most people have been ganked so many times they just want to get on with it. I tend not to attack unless I get attacked first, I usually just /wave and run past.

You do get the odd ganker, but gankers are usually awful players, and are easily killed.... especially mages who think priests are easy targets :D

Though we did have a huuuuuuuge brawl in Arathi the other day. A Paladin as beating on a warrior, so I join in. Another few low level alliance arrive. A group of horde arrive. Another alliance group arrives. Another horde group.
Just one big battle, and with refuge point 10 seconds away, people were rejoining the fight after rezzing very quickly.
Good fun, but eventually the spanish Paladin zerg arrived (9 mounted Paladins all with spanish guild name), and ended the fight, though it was good fun the 10 mins it lasted.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
You kill one alliance, he comes back with 2+ backup and camps you, thats pretty much what happens to me.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
SilverHood said:
Good fun, but eventually the spanish Paladin zerg arrived (9 mounted Paladins all with spanish guild name), and ended the fight, though it was good fun the 10 mins it lasted.
Bet it was thoose i ran into in Badlands yesterday, they corpse camped up at the dragon whelps, so i managed to rezz just inbetween 2 elite dragons without getting aggro they charge i run up hill they pull 2 dragons without seeing it, then 2 more, and then 3 more, they fight the dragons and die. Ended up with being able to skin 10 dragons gaining 7 worn scales to my quest :)

Vesuvius

Fledgling Freddie
SilverHood said:
You do get the odd ganker, but gankers are usually awful players, and are easily killed.... especially mages who think priests are easy targets :D

any mage who thinks a priest is an easy target has his head up his $"^*

heh

Marcus75

Fledgling Freddie
I almost have to play the PvP servers since most of my friends will do that...I am very doubtfull tho that it can be avoided that highlevels just plow through people and then I doubt the game will have as long a lifespan as DAoC had for me...lets hope some good ideas on how to control it will come from the Blizzard dudes.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I expect that most people will be level 30 within the first 2 weeks, and people will start hitting 60 after 3-4 weeks of gameplay.

Then everyone is 60, and gankers will get mauled.

Mithradir

Loyal Freddie
About pvp since they have not yet implement the pvp system we cannot say much. The one thing i know for sure si that wow give great fights. In contrast with daoc the tank fight in wow are uber. You really love fighting. I guess it will be the same for casters.

I played lots of nice duels on contested teritories. I attacked lower and higher lvl since it is the best way to learn my char. On retail if u kill a guy who is 6 lvl less than u, u get dishonor points which i assume gonna be bad :). So not much to worry about attacking by higher lvl :)

The last thing i wanna say is that i cant w8 any more . GIVE US the retail now!!!

SilverHood

FH is my second home
They removed dishonor point plans a while ago, and are going to concentrate on giving rewards for killing opponents of same level range.

And Mithradir, is really that hard to write "you" rather than "u" ? :)

pig

Fledgling Freddie
I glad i have read this thread :)
I have only been playing on a PVE server upto now but we have planned to setup our guild on a PVP server... We only have a few members so i was worried that I would have a hard time solo.

I really like the PVP in wow, not really the same on a PVE server but its a great feeling when a huge group of lvl12-30 horde manage to push a raid group back to ratchet :D

I love chasing down stray alliance with my lvl27 shaman, i dont care if they are 15+ levels to me, as long as i can get a frost on them... or even 1 swing of my axe :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom