WoW and guildwars

Jerbear

Fledgling Freddie
hey all i havent done a whole lot of reseach on this game i have just heard a bit about it from of my friends and was wanting to know if GW is going to have much of a impact on WoW population when it is released? or is WoW going to blow that game out of the water? some of my friends didnt even buy WoW they was waiting for GW to come out and play it instead and i was just wounderin what the better game might be? WoW>GW or GW>WoW? thanx guys

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Well GW is an intressting game, but dont come close to WoW, but thats just what i think.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Ye, as far as i'm concerned they're two different types of game.

Guildwars appears to cater towards the more tight knit group vs group scenario, with a heavy emphasis on PvP (wars between opposing guilds so to speak ;)) and WoW is more of a traditional MMORPG, with the great sprawling quest system and is more for large scale encounters (raid groups and battlegrounds etc).

Both are very good games and cater towards somewhat different crowds.

I think Gunz summed it up quite well for the layman, Guild Wars is effectively deathmatch for the fantasy RPG genre :)

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
GW also isnt an MMORPG technically, its a collection of instanced missions/areas that when you enter them you and your group have the area to yourselves. You will never meet random people wandering round the mission or open areas.

Its a lot like Diablo in a way, you use the central town as a lobby for meeting people, get your 5 man group together then go try a mission. It is good fun and i'll probably get it because a) There are NO subs at all b) The graphics are something to behold c) The on-the-fly updates are an awsome idea d) Its a really slick well put together game (It was built by some ex-Blizzard people who built Diablo)

Sh33p

Fledgling Freddie
WoW = PvE / PvP zergfest
GW = 8v8 PvP

Pretty much, the missions are kind of cool though, you can also blow through 1-20 in a few days of casual play and you can make max level PvP chars with custom skills, armour, weapons, runes once you've unlocked them with a PvE char.

Really cool idea, there's a lot more skill, tactics and different builds constantly being adapted and changed in GW, I think it will appeal towards the DAoC crowd that have always wanted a zerg free 8v8 environment to play in.

It's a nice change to have guild battles last an hour at times and often that'll be constant fighting for 30 mins+ whilst the monks on the team are tested to the extreme.

They're very different games, I can see a lot of people switching though as they get bored of WoW, depending how good battlegrounds is.

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
Going to give GW a try, seems a don't have as much time for WoW.

Also seems like the honor system has fecked up PvP servers, as it just caters to gank groups who play 27hours a day.

And is it me or does GW have very low system requirements, yet the game looks amazing.

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
i will try GW i think, in DAOC i loved 8v8 fights and tbh all i forsee in wow atm is zergs and lag

Jerbear

Fledgling Freddie
i have been looking at soem of the GW web sights and i think i might give it a try i mean hell its FREE (monthy wise). not this 15 dollars a month thing :D and the enviroment looks pretty awsome as well!

WiZe^

Can't get enough of FH
looks like a better gfx version of L2 and L2 really suckt donkeyballs :p

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Tried the free weekend sneak-previews a while back and its a pretty decent game, but as most have said it is a lot different to WoW and DAoC.

GW is, however, a lot of fun....its one of the first decent mmorpg attempts at having pvp as the central focus, bypasing all the level grind that other mmorpg's rely on.

Unfortunately this game is not a patch on what a lot of players were hoping for when Dragon Empires was still alive and GW really isnt the fusion of mmorpg and pvp that DE was going to be.

It'll appeal to a lot of players that play WoW, but it wont do Blizzard any significant damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom