WoW Alpha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
I downloaded the WoW Alpha client yesterday and the "Sandbox" proxy server hack. The alpha is leaked from blizzard and is in no way official, and hosting/sharing it is illegal since its protected by copyright law. However, downloading it is not illegal and i wanted to see what it looked like.
I will not post links or instructions on how to get it since this is against the CoC of FreddysHouse.

All you can do with the sandbox is use the client side of the game (you do not actually connect to any server - the game just thinks you do). This means the only thing you can do ingame is run around and look at the map, there are no mobs and npc's anywhere and you cant access inventory or skills or anything else.

My impression of the gameworld is that its simply beutifull. And large, very large. At max gfx settings it runs flawlessly with very high fps - this might be because there are no mobs etc and no other players, but it still feels very promising.

The attention to small details is also evident, there are lots of little things that make stuff look more realistic depsite the somewhat cartoonish gfx. Houses are all real size, as opposed to DAoC and there is no loading at all when you enter a building, also there is no loading when you change zones, all you get is a message that youve entered the new zone.

Water looks good, as do trees (not super realistic, but good). There are birds soaring in the sky which adds tremendously to immersion, as do the ambient sounds (they are excellent) such as whistling winds and running water etc. The music is very good, and very appropriate for the different areas (at least the few ive been in).

I will not explore to much of the world myself, since i dont want to ruin the complete game for me and for others - so far ive only run around a fairly limited area and i intend to keep it that way. In fact i will remove the alpha from my hd in the near future, my purpose for dl'ing it was only to sate my immediate curiosity, and ive done that now.

In closing - from what ive seen of the alpha i have to say blizzard have probably done it again: another 5 star game from the company that cannot, it seem, fail. However, the alpha doesnt give any hint about the gameplay. But if the same level of attention has been used on that aspect as on the gfx/worldbuilding side, then i have high hopes indeed. :)

Will definetly try the game on release.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Still quite awesome how Fana says that there is no loading when entering stuff - without a connection to a server.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Sorry i just had to ask but,

WHAT THE FUCK IS HE TALKING ABOUT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom