Science Would you volunteer for a one-way ticket to Mars?

Would you become a Mars pioneer. Oh, by the way, its a one way ticket only!

• Total voters

Ormorof

FH is my second home
nope :)

for same reason i wouldnt want to be the first Virgin Galaxy tourists, maybe once they've worked out the niggles, but looks at the space shuttle, even after decades of use it randomly blew up occasionally :p

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
If you'd asked me that question 6-7 years ago, I'd have said yes in a heartbeat. Not now though.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I would if my wife went too.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Before the wife and kids came into my life I'd have been first in the queue. Now I have other priorities.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I reckon you'd miss the simple things
Women in skimpy outfits in the summer, oxygen, fresh air, gravity, birds singing, trees, going outside without a space suit, gravy, not being irradiated, not having to fight space swans everyday....that sort of thing

Aada

Part of the furniture
What happens if the next supply ship doesn't get there for whatever reason, they then eat each other?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
What happens if the next supply ship doesn't get there for whatever reason, they then eat each other?

excellent movie plot idea I just had :D

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Read the martian. 99p (well it was when I got it) and is a well written story about exactly that happening. Guy gets left behind on mars because they think he's dead. I really enjoyed it.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
It's not really NASA though is it ? :p
Being cooped up in a tin can for that many years? Hell no!
And as mentioned, Family - I can hardly go two days without a hug from my duaghter, a week is a nightmare,
I cant begin to think what a year, not to mention years would feel like.

Not sure I buy into the the rest of your life deal, if we can put people on mars
by 2023. Now lets say these guys are roughly 26-35 on depature, imagine whats posible in 2055.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
With the right chick, for sure. Shame they discriminate against diabetics :p

rynnor

Rockhound
I would love to go but the wife n kids own me now :)

I could spend a happy lifetime analysing the geology and processing rocks seeking micro/macro and nano fossils - imagine being the first person to discover life off of earth!

Dukat

Resident Freddy
May be a problem. We've already volunteered you.

If Toh goes, I go!

We can start a new FH on Mars. It will be red instead of green, and the 'post reply' button will be left aligned instead of right. We will return to earth in 10,000 years with our technologically superior left aligned reply buttons and reign supreme for all time.

We could call it FreddysMars! or MarsHouse?

Either way, and more seriously - I love the idea of this, just being on another planet would be amazing and I doubt life would ever be truely dull with the amount of things that would be going on in such an environment.

However, I do suspect it would challenging far in excess of anything most people would imagine. Being stuck with whoever else went on this trip, for the rest of your life, is an extremely tough thing to get my head around. Living conditions would probably not be so great, and when the rest of your life is lived within a glorified baked bean can on a cold red rock with a poisonous atmosphere, it might well get a bit old after 20-odd years.

I guess it would depend alot on how good living conditions are. I automatically make alot of assumtions but I suppose whoever is at the helm of this project will understand and compensate for this somehow.

It would certainly be interesting :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Its all very dream fulfilling..but in reality there is fuck all there except hills and rocks

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Suppose you could leave a legacy of being a 'founder father', meaning you've lived, not worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom