Would You Play If We Are Merged With American Servers?

friky

Fledgling Freddie
If we were merged with the us servers would you come back or play more often if out server was more populated?

EvilDonut

Fledgling Freddie
I left camlann to go to excalibur due to the poor population there, and now it seems the same thing is happening to Dyvet. A merge with the US would certainly stop me leaving all together and also encourage me to play more often - I like daoc but getting quite annoying not being able to find anyone to kill in rvr most of the time. I've just finished levelling a scout and am disappointed to find that the only real rps I can make are adding to groups in combat as there just aren't enough non-stealther soloers to kill.

A part of the problem is that the NF zones are way too big for the amount of people we have. They were designed for a much larger population and with a population our size it becomes harder to find people from enemy realms - both whilst solo and whilst grouped. RvR in Thidranki is really good because its just 1 simple square zone with lots of people in(during the evenings/weekends), and plenty of soloers.

It would be so nice to go back to having busy frontier zones like the good old days :)

At the moment you can only find decent grouped rvr action during a small window of a few hours per day, which is frustrating for the people who want to play during more irregular hours.

I hate to sound negative about it as that just makes other people feel negative about daoc, but I think population issues are definitely the biggest issue facing the game at the moment and something needs to be done about it, preferably before any more MMORPGs come out (warhammer) and take another slice of the population.

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
all those dumb yankee's to farm? hell yes !

Ever read the american forums? would be like grey ganking all over again :england:

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Won't happen. Get over it... WAY too many draw-backs/issues that would arrise.

Blockus

Fledgling Freddie
Money talks .. Draw-backs/issues walk !!

IF it meant more money im sure they would find a way to do it ... :drink:

Calcus

Fledgling Freddie
Would be quite good to have a population that was on at different hours to us. And as I often play at strange hours would suit me nicely. Met really nice peeps from US on EQ servers years ago.

pinkey

Fledgling Freddie
I would, tbh id be playing over there now if it wasn't for my friends on excal/pryd

koffeman

Fledgling Freddie
Lets work for a common goal then fellas...lets try to make goa/EA realise that a clustering with some US servers would bring life back to dyvet cluster.

If we can make this happen im sure with a larger population we will get more players to start playing this game again.

Its a big win for us but even bigger for EA i would say so lets try do effect this in the best way we can.

Gennies (sorc rr8 dark prophecy)

kirennia

Part of the furniture
I hate to say it but I think a cluster with german/french servers would be more likely then merging us with the US.

Firstly, GOA and mythic have a long standing contract saying that GOA get whatever portion of the sales it is they have in all of europe. Mythic also get their own sales in america. Now for a merge like this to happen, one of them would have to back down and get rid of all of their subscriptions for that one server. Afterall, could you imagine GOA running the server for example just to give the money to EA/mythic.

Next off is where would the server be. France or America? I think as the americans have a bigger voice as they have more people and are run by the actual creators, it would be there. Cost of moving the whole server platform over there and setting it up? Cost of shifting the whole server selection thing over there? Then of course what happens to peoples accounts who play multiple servers over here? They can't all be put over so you'd have to start splitting your pay between both countries.

If anyone can think of an ideal situation for both companies in which neither loose revenue AND more money has to be guaranteed for their financial department to allow it then feel free to post.

The only realistic solution at this time is multi-language clients which, seeing as Mythic don't need it and will gain nothing for them personally by doing it, it's all down to GOA to figure this out. Afterall, people are moving from dyvet to america as we speak so Mythic are making even more money. Why would they ever see it financially viable to do this?

Sadly, this is a tale of two businesses, both of which want to make profit and without any profit gains from doing this, why would they really want to bother?

Sorry to sound so negative, I just want to put some perspective on the whole idea :(

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
I hate to say it but I think a cluster with german/french servers would be more likely then merging us with the US.

Firstly, GOA and mythic have a long standing contract saying that GOA get whatever portion of the sales it is they have in all of europe. Mythic also get their own sales in america. Now for a merge like this to happen, one of them would have to back down and get rid of all of their subscriptions for that one server. Afterall, could you imagine GOA running the server for example just to give the money to EA/mythic.

Next off is where would the server be. France or America? I think as the americans have a bigger voice as they have more people and are run by the actual creators, it would be there. Cost of moving the whole server platform over there and setting it up? Cost of shifting the whole server selection thing over there? Then of course what happens to peoples accounts who play multiple servers over here? They can't all be put over so you'd have to start splitting your pay between both countries.

If anyone can think of an ideal situation for both companies in which neither loose revenue AND more money has to be guaranteed for their financial department to allow it then feel free to post.

The only realistic solution at this time is multi-language clients which, seeing as Mythic don't need it and will gain nothing for them personally by doing it, it's all down to GOA to figure this out. Afterall, people are moving from dyvet to america as we speak so Mythic are making even more money. Why would they ever see it financially viable to do this?

Sadly, this is a tale of two businesses, both of which want to make profit and without any profit gains from doing this, why would they really want to bother?

Sorry to sound so negative, I just want to put some perspective on the whole idea :(

Can't you reply to anything with less then 5 paragraphs of epic proportions? :rolleyes:

Ruggio

Fledgling Freddie
I'd love to see Dyvet clustered with US servers but I know that before it will happen we will be clustered with other EU servers.

That wouldn't be a bad solution, German servers are densely populated, the only real problem is the language.

I left Glastonbury after clustering with Salisbuty because I don't understand a word of German and I can't play decently on a German server.

I'm not English, I'm Italian, but my opinion is that everyone, even a 10 yo kid, knows a bit of English these days, while German is known almost only by Germans. They are the largest population of EU players, I know, and GOA try to make them happy, but they would be able to play well on an English server, most non Germans would have a hard time playing on a German server.

In conclusion, I'd love to have an unique ToA European server, but only if it uses English language.

Sharaft

Fledgling Freddie
i wouldnt, just think about it. The people online would be the same, becaus of the time differences.. so whats the big deal? Im currently rolling Guildwars and staying there :)

Death

Fledgling Freddie
What ur all saying sounds good a cluster would be cool, even a world wide cluster RVR only tho cos i dont care what lanuage they speak as long as they hit the deck lol. If im not mistake the US cluster With the japs so going explain how a cluster to the US is not possible were theres a will theres a way and when money is involved theres always a way. I think we should all pester pester pester for a cluster, alot more player would come back and maby even a fun issue would be there again.

Bring the fun back to daoc.

LOL i got banned from the free shards cos my skauld was called "Fastasfcuk" cos it sounded like fuck, i explained that it was french connection UK etc etc no happening lol oo well fuck it :p

Gethin

Fledgling Freddie
While i like the idea it wont happen (atleast in the short term). A more sensible suggestion would be a char transfer to a server of choice be it a Euro or US server. (hopefully with all items intact)

kirennia

Part of the furniture
If im not mistake the US cluster With the japs so going explain how a cluster to the US is not possible were theres a will theres a way and when money is involved theres always a way. I think we should all pester pester pester for a cluster, alot more player would come back and maby even a fun issue would be there again.

If I remember correctly, Akatsuki was run by Mythic anyway and when they clustered, they all got reverted to english as multi-language servers weren't possible at the time. I could be wrong though, I never played that cluster. :p

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Give /ignore-US so it ignores every account made on the US and then sure.

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
Lets work for a common goal then fellas...lets try to make goa/EA realise that a clustering with some US servers would bring life back to dyvet cluster.

If we can make this happen im sure with a larger population we will get more players to start playing this game again.

Its a big win for us but even bigger for EA i would say so lets try do effect this in the best way we can.

Gennies (sorc rr8 dark prophecy)
who said they arent allready talking about it but there might be some problems they might be working to sort out

ie account spilting due to only wanting to take over the dyvet server and some account having toons on camlan and the other servers etc, plus GOA might be wanting some cash for the lose of income they would have for losing the toons on the dyvte cluster

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Sharaft said:
i wouldnt, just think about it. The people online would be the same, becaus of the time differences.. so whats the big deal? Im currently rolling Guildwars and staying there :)

The population on the american clusters during the European primetime is still greater than on Dyvet, so this argument doesn't really work.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
The population on the american clusters during the European primetime is still greater than on Dyvet, so this argument doesn't really work.

Its true, you still get keeptakes and find decent rvr at eu primetime :)

They really are 24/7 servers, I think Mythic like the european lot there as its a more money and b more players for the yanks to play with, ie less chance of boredom

Nuxtobatns

Can't get enough of FH
Something like that seems the only good alternative...Still, prolly even themselves dont know what they r going to do.

But the simple truth is that this cluster is almost dead in RvR.
The way mythic/goa handles it, will determine how much we/u can trust them on their next mmorgp...War.

But, as i heard and i might agree...what they really want us atm...is get ready us ready to quit DAOC and play War upon lauch. Something that tbh wont happen from my part and some of my friends...simply cause the videos and stuff we saw from beta r rather dissapointing and in v much WoW-like (and annoying) envriroment.

Kaomond

Fledgling Freddie
I always love this type of post, it shows how nervous and jumpy MMo players really are, it's a typical knee jerk reaction.

Firstly this scenario really isn't worthdiscussing, because it will never happen, the EU and US servers are run by two diferent companies on completely diferent server types, they would be more likely to close down the EU servers and make the US game available in europe, WITHOUT bothering to keep any of our accounts.

Secondly, i have played almost all thew MMO's on the market past and present, and every single one of them had people saying 'the games dying, everyones quitting blah blah blah' VERY FEW of them have actually collapsed at all, they've almost all just settled at certain levels, so the likelyhood of this game doing that is very slim.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Kaomond said:
Secondly, i have played almost all thew MMO's on the market past and present, and every single one of them had people saying 'the games dying, everyones quitting blah blah blah' VERY FEW of them have actually collapsed at all, they've almost all just settled at certain levels, so the likelyhood of this game doing that is very slim.

Most previous MMPORGS (and I might be wrong here of course) haven't relied on large scale RvR. Simply having a group of close knit mates that you can log on with and have a laugh isn't really enough if there's nothing to fight with them. In PVE games the mobs are always there to bash on. In RvR the game is only as good as the enemy that logs on to fight you.
While there will probably still be the few that log on anyway the game isn't really "alive" if the action is simply 10 people fighting on a bridge.

The most likely scenario is that either GOA will work out a way to have multi language servers, or dyvet will simply become german like Glastonbury did.

If clustering with the states was possible then that's what they would of gone with Glast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom