Would you pay for another expansion pack?

S

Senses

Having just got my copy of "RtR" and feeling let down on the final product. Would you pay for the n'th expansion pack, even if it meant you couldn’t compete in a league that required having the next pack?

Or, could "RtR" be the last expansion, even though Dice supposedly have signed a long-term contract with EA and the past history of EA whoring franchises?

C

.Cask

I won't unless it's significantly large than R2R. 2 or 3 times the size would be acceptable. EA has been pumping out crappy releases lately. Sim City could have been much better.. C&C generals added very little to the genre and I found it quite shallow. R2R was fun for a few hours but it is nothing more than a well made mod.

Why they didn't update the current maps with the new vehicles, and add the new maps to the usual rotation, is something I can't figure out. They could have still maintained seperate servers and they wouldn't have had to tout the line "Buy R2R and have 6 maps!!" and "Don't buy R2R and play the 16 originals!"

E

Embattle

I find RTR fine, although they could of included a bit more and maybe charged a little less.

Sim City 4 is fine and I will buy C&C Generals once it is officially released on Friday, esp since the reviews I've read make me think I will enjoy it.

S

Senses

Originally posted by Scooba Da Bass
I think Dice really need to get some decent mapmaking tools and an SDK out there, there are lots of great ideas for maps and campaigns that are hampered by this lack.

Very true, critical for '42s future but will we ever see such tools though? When "RtR" could be a money maker.

For me, what I came back to in Quake, Quake2 and Half-Life was the mod community. New maps and alterations on the orginal game play, not the expansion packs. You can only play the same scenario a certain amount of times, even for the die hard fan. :)

S

S3-FluKe

Mabye they'll do what they did with the sims and release about 5 :p

S

Scooba Da Bass

Being aware of the trouble that BW has had with this game, specifically with regards to getting it into GM3, and with the terrible rcon supplied with the game it's going to take some serious work on the behalf of ea/dice to make this into the massive success it could be, however, the release of rtr kinda confirms they are in it for the money, instead of trying to build up a dedicated appreciative fanbase (something that would in all likelihood earn them more)

T

throdgrain

Perhaps Im a bit more cynical, I dunno, but I always expected EA to be in it for the money . And yeah, sometimes their games have some bloody irritating characteristics. However, BF1942 is still a great leap forward in fps games. Since 1.2 it works. The maps are huge, you can fly aeroplanes , drive tanks , all that, and still maintain a decent frame rate. I could forgive them a lot for that.
The problem with home made maps imo is that people often dont have them, or cba to download them, and so they never get played, and so people just carry on playing the standard ones , and get bored, and play something else. At least with an expansion pack theres no fucking about, you just trot down to the shops and come back with a cd. And also at least EA have made it so that you dont have to swap cd's every time you want to change maps, assuming that is they ever update their regular servers to 1.3.
Would I pay £19.99 for the next expansion pack, with 6 maps and a few new tanks ?
Yeah I would .

L

leggy

This annoys me tbh.

Have you read the disclaimer at the bottom of the RtR box (back).

It basically says that EA reserve the right to bin the internet portion of bf1942 by the end of this year (i think). Which i read as no more patches, maps or support from EA. Which wouldn't be a problem if someone with a bit more savvy and community spirit takes over the development.

I'm at work and don't have the box handy but it does say something to that effect.

So... my answer is... don't know. :)

L

leggy

Originally posted by throdgrain
And also at least EA have made it so that you dont have to swap cd's every time you want to change maps

I had to swap to the RtR cd to play any of the new maps last night.

T

throdgrain

I meant once the RtR disc is in your pc you dont have to go back to the BF1942 one in order to play the original maps :)
As far as the internet thing, they said that when the game came out, though I think its more to do with running all them servers actually.

G

Gumbo

September 2004, it says on the box here.

thats another 18 months or so, by which time I guess we'll be looking at BF1942 2 or something anyway.

X

xane

The maps already cover 1942 onwards, the reason why it was given 1942 was most of the widely recognised equipment was in service after that time, major enagements before 1942 were infantry only using post-WW1 designs and it would rapidly get boring, think about the early French "Char" (tank) used in BoF which had a top speed equal to an infantryman running !

Can't imagine a game without the dear old Tiger I !

I'm impressed with RtR, even though I've only played a couple of the maps, I like the new equipment, the Grant tank and the AT guns are welcome additions.

L

leggy

I agree with xane... I have enjoyed the 3 maps i have played so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom