News World of Warcraft Subs

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Interesting read - taken from MMO champion - is the giant finally dying?

"https://twitter.com/WeakAuras/status...12677578838016

PogU

RIP for the person getting fired tho

Is this also a breach of EU GDPR law?

Moderation note:

There have been a lot of further developments to this on the part of the WeakAuras developer (ummm...as it were). Here is some additional information:

Clarification about what happened today (WeakAuras Tweet)
So, what happened today:

Someone posted a thread on ((forum that is against TOS)) about how the new API can be abused to get player subscription data and that was used to calculate current subscriber numbers.

What I usually do with those rumors is post them on the WeakAuras Twitter account to talk with other people about it. I knew it was a far fetch and could not be verified unless the full data dump was leaked, which it wasn't. Also the thread has since been deleted and I did not have a screenshot nor was it accessible via Google Cache since it was in the subscriber only area.

What sounded too cool to me was that if those numbers are true, WeakAuras users make up 50% of WoW's user base. Which would be insane. So I began typing my tweet, wanting to talk about it and then it happened. I reached Twitter's max character limit. Well, the lazy person I am, I just figured I'd split my tweet up into three.

Turns out, people really don't read Twitter threads and Reddit only displays the first post of it by default.

This is how it looked to me,
View: https://i.imgur.com/Y2SUrDc.png
- but not to the rest of the internet.

Obviously the community took this as a call to arms and soon after, everyone was treating the first tweet as a fact. I tried repeatedly to point out how it wasn't but yeah, you guys know what happened.

Soon after, I got contacted by Blizzard and they basically just told me that the data is false and that I might want to edit or delete my tweet to not look like an idiot that spreads misinformation.

Since I think deleting tweets just because they are controversial is bad practice, and I stand by what I wrote, I once again tried to point out what I have been saying from the beginning, that we have no proof to back up this claim.

So of course, people took my tweet saying just that as me being gag ordered by Blizzard and started claiming I only posted this to boost my follower count and WeakAuras download numbers, threatening to boycott the WeakAuras addon as a consequence. Trust me, this was really not the case and half of that does not even make sense.

Lessons learned:

Put a huge disclaimer at the start of tweets when you are going to post rumors, not at the end.

The internet is still the internet and will never change.

BfA is still in a very dire spot and posting a rumor about how it could be even worse did not help.

I hope I could clear up a few things for you guys and am sorry for causing trouble.
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...day_weakauras/ "

Himse

FH is my second home
I can't get to grips with WoW, i tend to sub for a month play for a week or so and then close it.

Not surprised the subs are down considering the feedback around BFA on Reddit. Some people like it, a large portion seem to not.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I can't get to grips with WoW, i tend to sub for a month play for a week or so and then close it.

Not surprised the subs are down considering the feedback around BFA on Reddit. Some people like it, a large portion seem to not.
Well we won't need to wait too long for Reddit/the interwebs to explode on feedback on playing Classic Wow during Blizzcon :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Well we won't need to wait too long for Reddit/the interwebs to explode on feedback on playing Classic Wow during Blizzcon :)

Still got a feeling they're going to stick loads of quality of life stuff into it, some of which I wouldn't mind.

One that the internet keeps talking about is allowing transmogs to be collected on classic and passed to your main account, that alone would be a selling point for the server, people would likely play it just to do naxx to get item appearances etc.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Lol..... Shit like that should always start with a disclaimer on twitter, not end with one.

Common fucking sense.. :)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Still got a feeling they're going to stick loads of quality of life stuff into it, some of which I wouldn't mind.

One that the internet keeps talking about is allowing transmogs to be collected on classic and passed to your main account, that alone would be a selling point for the server, people would likely play it just to do naxx to get item appearances etc.
They better fucking not. Keep it as Classic and listen to the community for once, unlike what they do now.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Classic will be little more than a short lived nostalgia trip.

Personally I felt that I really wouldn't play BFA for very long if I purchased it but being a sap I purchased it any way. So after 2 months and 4 characters at 120 I've stopped my subscription, there just isn't enough fresh meat to the game and like towards the later half of Legion logging on to do World Quests to get a weak power boost becomes boring fast.

I get the feeling people leaving this time aren't being ridiculed any where near as much as in the past when going on to the forum to complain, I also think numbers of people unsubscribing have been quite high due to the recent offer that Blizzard did with a free mount on signing up for another 6 months which I nearly went for myself.

I also have a mountain of games I purchased via Steam Sales I've still not played ;)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
They better fucking not. Keep it as Classic and listen to the community for once, unlike what they do now.

It's blizzard, you really think they'll stick to that :p?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

Did you enjoy sitting around waiting for an hour for the priests and druids to finish buffing?

Imagine doing that again after a wipe. And again and again and again.. :)

That's half the evening gone just waiting for buffs....

I don't know about you but i do not miss that.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Did you enjoy sitting around waiting for an hour for the priests and druids to finish buffing?

Imagine doing that again after a wipe. And again and again and again.. :)

That's half the evening gone just waiting for buffs....

I don't know about you but i do not miss that.
Then Classic is not for you, simple. The purists and those that want the game of old are happy to put up with all the issues it had at that patch level.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Then Classic is not for you, simple. The purists and those that want the game of old are happy to put up with all the issues it had at that patch level.

Agreed - it gave me time to down some more beer and have a smoke!

Embattle

FH is my second home
Yes and then those that smoked etc often took so long someone would fall asleep waiting or you needed to rebuff again.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yes and then those that smoked etc often took so long someone would fall asleep waiting or you needed to rebuff again.

Yep!! I was always a pain in the arse - dunno why they let me go along tbh :)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber

At least I had the decency to also fall asleep so those that had didn't feel bad :oops:

Embattle

FH is my second home
I don't know why, but this is the only game box I've kept:

1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom