Football World cup

Marc

FH is my second home
Well, Fernando Torres showed everyone how much of a scouser he's become, stealing a World Cup winners medal.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
...im depressed :( needs hugs

(ps. spain played better, so deserved winners.. rather lose with 0-1 then with penalties)

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Im speechless.

Still at home tho i should be at work 1 hr ago, but meh! The nite around here 's been awesome!

Party all nite, all the streets covered with ppl with flags all dressed in red and gold, ppl climbing to the bus stops, jumping into fountains,... amazing!

Wish i had pics but the battteries of my mobile went down in the middle of the nite ffs!!

For sure one of the best moments in my life.

PS: lol @ Casillas and the reporter.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Worst man on the field?

Webb?

Danita

While I wanted the Dutch to win the simple fact is Spain deserved to win, even if the result means we get more fat headed Spanish members appearing :p

As for Webb I think he tried very hard not to send any one off in the WC final but the reality is the Dutchies tried even harder to get sent off, not sure they've got any right to moan they could of easily been down to 10 men come half time if not 9.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Hahah!

Ye, I did want the dutch to win before I saw the complete football thuggery that went on.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Well, Fernando Torres showed everyone how much of a scouser he's become, stealing a World Cup winners medal.

Someone I hope we don't waste a lot of money on without a very good medical.

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
Can't beleive the nerve of Holland to complain about the performance of Howard Webb.

It was outright thuggary in that first half from them. By rights they should have down to 9 men. But it is the showpiece football final and the ref wanted to keep it 11 v 11.

One team came to play football, the Spanish. The other, Holland, didn't.

They got everything they deserved from that final. Fuck All.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Spain were shit the whole tournament including the final, if they deserved to win the world cup then football is shit

Corran

Part of the furniture
Spain were shit the whole tournament including the final, if they deserved to win the world cup then football is shit

Least spain relied on football and didnt change their game plan. The problem they had was opponents always had 9 defenders so it was hard for them to get the goals their play often deserved.

Holland complaining about Webb? Well I would guess they are unhappy about not being down to 9 men at half time (De Jong and Bommel should have been off) and finish the game with 7 men after extra time (Player sent off, Robben kicking the ball away).

Honestly think webb was trying not to send off a player. He really should have done it in the first half and then players would know to calm down or leave the field

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Least spain relied on football and didnt change their game plan. The problem they had was opponents always had 9 defenders so it was hard for them to get the goals their play often deserved.

Holland complaining about Webb? Well I would guess they are unhappy about not being down to 9 men at half time (De Jong and Bommel should have been off) and finish the game with 7 men after extra time (Player sent off, Robben kicking the ball away).

Honestly think webb was trying not to send off a player. He really should have done it in the first half and then players would know to calm down or leave the field
Spain play football in a way that virtually guarantees they'll end up playing against the bus, it's their fault.

And Howard Webb had a shocking game so it's fair to complain.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
Spain play football in a way that virtually guarantees they'll end up playing against the bus, it's their fault.

And Howard Webb had a shocking game so it's fair to complain.

So we should blame spain for the other teams defensive tactics?

I thought Webb was ok. Many of the players from netherlands were lucky to stay on the pitch, but I don't think the match would have been prettier or more exciting, if any of them got a red card in the first half.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
So we should blame spain for the other teams defensive tactics?

I thought Webb was ok. Many of the players from netherlands were lucky to stay on the pitch, but I don't think the match would have been prettier or more exciting, if any of them got a red card in the first half.
Slow possession football will force the opposition deeper and deeper, yes.

To be fair to Webb, if he'd sent people off like he should have then he'd have been berated for ruining the game anyway, fucked if you do, fucked if you don't.

Feel a bit disillusioned after this WC. The team with the dullest football and the most cheats won both the cup and the fairplay award.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
Slow possession football will force the opposition deeper and deeper, yes.

To be fair to Webb, if he'd sent people off like he should have then he'd have been berated for ruining the game anyway, fucked if you do, fucked if you don't.

Feel a bit disillusioned after this WC. The team with the dullest football and the most cheats won both the cup and the fairplay award.

Paraguay played some great footy against spain, without standing deep :)

As for Webb, I agree. There wasn't much he could do. He was forced to bend the rules a lot, if this wasn't going to be like the Barca - Arse CL final. He Gave Xavi a yellow for shooting the ball away, but didn't give sneijder/VP/Robben another one for doing the same thing. I can't complain as a neutral viewer really, even though he didn't follow the rules.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
There´s nothing wrong with the spanish game (which - ironically - is a system that has been invented by a dutchman... Johann Cruyff). They´re consequently playing their style, they have been successful with it and they managed to (more or less) neutralize two of the best attacking teams of the WC, Germany and Holland. *shrug*

The problem is, that their game is agonizingly boring to watch. They´re kinda like the Bjorn Borgs of football. ;)
But since they *have* been successful, there will be a couple of other teams trying to emulate their style.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
I agree thorwyn,
except I dont agree that Holland were one of the two best teams
"they should have been" but they werent,
The football they showed in 2008 never saw the light of day in SA.

I could name at least 5 teams i felt played more atractive football than Holland.

as for webb, the bloke should get a medal for that game.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The Spanish were clinical but like others have said they were a bit boring, the real problem is that as far as I'm concerned the 2010 WC won't go down as a classic, there were just too many teams and so called superstars playing like utter crap.....plus I still hate the racket of vuvuzela's.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
A bit boring? Every one of their games was a snooze fest. ofc they deserve to win it, as at the end of the day they played better, just not better looking.

Marc

FH is my second home
Any manager will tell you, the key to winning a game is keeping possession.

Spain do it better than any nation. Personally, I dont find Spain's style boring. At times it can be mesmerizing, but each to their own and can fully understand people being turned off by it.

Marc

FH is my second home
And congrats to those footballing heavyweights, New Zealand on being the only unbeaten team in the world cup :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom