Work???

Amphrax

Part of the furniture
Is it me or is work in general completely dead at the moment?

My current work at the mo is pretty quiet... infact... its dead... But we still get the odd job here and there...

Since the Bank Holidays and then the Royal Wedding and then half term... Work has died down extremely fast.

Is this current state with everyone at the moment ?

Whats it like for you?

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Well I'm having a fucking annoying day at work. Some stupid bint has decided that she doesnt want to do her job so has arbitrarily handed it to me. 150 pages of fucking user comments that she wants me to sift through and look for spam on top of all my other duties. Fuck my job today. Fuck it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Freelancing so, pretty much msot the time is quiet, even if working :p

The games market is quiet though, ironically due to E3 and such.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Generally quiet yep, we are having huge problems selling advertising space due to the economy which accounts for a large part of it. Busy this week though as one person is off on holiday and another is off sick, leaving us only 3 in the office when we all do two people's jobs anyway. And yet I'm still finding the time to lame about posting on forums. :eek:

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
always dead where i work (a posh cafe) except for weekends/holidays

Chilly

Balls of steel
more than 3 million bets yesterday. more than 3 today and more than 3 tomorrow. it's never quiet here.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The construction industry seems to be picking up atm. Pretty much run off my feet.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Very quiet for me, just enjoying the sunshine, boilers don't break as much in the heat.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Well I'm teaching covering a teacher on maternity break atm. She's back at the start of July, has to work 4 days and she'll get paid for all 6+ weeks of the summer on full pay and I go back to unemployment.

I've been looking for permanent teaching jobs ever since taking the plunge to move to West Wales. I went to an interview where the other candidate was the Headteacher's sister-in-law. Guess who got that. And another where I was a strong candidate but the other decent candidate was wearing the Pro-Welsh language badge (a Welsh speaker of course), just as the lady who made the decision was wearing the same.....even though it's not a welsh-speaking school. Guess who got that. When I asked for feedback for both jobs all I got was "No you're an excellent candidate, your interview and lesson were brilliant, just we went with the other candidate this time." Both times they didn't even have the balls to say the real reason.

Sucks to be me in the world of teaching employ atm; let's hope it picks up. :(

Hey Job, I'm doing a market research interview for a boiler insurance company tomorrow night (no gas mains out here in the sticks). £30 for 30 mins' work. Sign up for loads as an insider!!

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
working in Local Government, off the back end of a big restructure so unsurprisingly I'm a busy little bee as we now have a shedload less staff.

Everz

FH is my second home
more than 3 million bets yesterday. more than 3 today and more than 3 tomorrow. it's never quiet here.

Online or racecourse or something along those lines? Was never quiet when I did it.. wouldn't mind again.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I seem to be working in one of the few companies that actually grew during the recession. Our turn-over has increased 50% every 6 months for at least the last two years and this year especially has been crazy with new staff and finding, leasing & out-fitting a new office.

I know that's a good thing but constant 60+ hour weeks do eventually start to take a toll.

Mey

Part of the furniture
I get paid whether we are busy or not, but my god its boring.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
I work at a café/bar/restaurant during the weekends. The past few weekends we've had amazing weather, so from open and until we close every table has been packed. Mostly by Swedes, Americans, Germans, Brits and the elderly

Sucks getting in at 8am hungover when there is not a cloud in the sky, because you just know it will be a shitty day with not a moments peace

Ormorof

FH is my second home
crazy busy, our head office starts going on holiday soon so all the deadlines are creeping up, July should be blissfully quiet though :)

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I was busier when business was bad during 09 and 10. Its still busy however in a less interesting way.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Blah blah work work. *jealous*

I'm still not working, it's been about 14 months now, and here's a clue as to why...

I had an interview last week (didn't get the job), and during the interview I was told they'd had over 800 applicants.

Part of my ego feels better that my CV is good enough to beat a lot of people to call me for an interview, but part of me is pissed of for not getting the job. I asked for feedback, and all I got was 'We didn't didn't think the role would be challenging enough for you.'

So what if it wasn't? Just give me an effing job, I'll stick with it for a few years and then reconsider my options.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I@m always busy. Makes the day go quck. But then again I can pretty much come & go as I please...as long as the work gets done.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse

I'm still not working, it's been about 14 months now, and here's a clue as to why...

I had an interview last week (didn't get the job), and during the interview I was told they'd had over 800 applicants.

Part of my ego feels better that my CV is good enough to beat a lot of people to call me for an interview, but part of me is pissed of for not getting the job. I asked for feedback, and all I got was 'We didn't didn't think the role would be challenging enough for you.'

So what if it wasn't? Just give me an effing job, I'll stick with it for a few years and then reconsider my options.

Yeah I did a full email blitz of every company I fancied working for and every single one sent back an automated 'we get hundreds of applications a day, please apply for an actual job (none of them had one).
Life is a lottery, we all play the lottery and getting a job is a lottery.
Life is 90% luck.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter

Which has really confused me about my job. I applyed for and got a promotion in May so theyve advertised my old job.

IT Support post, techy job, you get to do a bit of everything as its a small team and get time to mess about doing projects every now and then (during my time there I went off and learnt SharePoint, put forward a project proposal and implemented it for various depts, and have also got involved with linux and building nagios and other open source kit to replace windows stuff.

Moneys ok, and its in a decent area of the world.

and we had a total of about 20 applicants.

was really surprised.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Whats your job in construction?

I'm an apprentice chippy and we're very busy atm

All sorts :) Recently mostly systems based. We just had a new IT system installed and I have been sorting that out. My current project is sorting out the stock management system for our service sector. I work a lot with JCT and DOM/1 contracts too, making sure we don't get skanked, negotiation with quantity surveyors and what not (They are mostly dickheads btw!) over valuations on industrial building projects. It's pretty small firm staff wise so I get involved with loads.

Ormorof

FH is my second home

its because they know that if they hire you, you will leave as soon as a better offer comes along, they want someone good enough for the job, but not good enough to leave as then they would need to go through whole recruitment hoopla again (which is a pain in the ass)

its frustrating i know but makes sense from the company point of view (i was in same situation a few years ago kept getting "you are overqualified... this wont be challenging enough... blablabla" when i all i wanted to do was work and not be unemployed anymore :p )

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
In the 3rd week of my new job so still getting up to speed on a lot of stuff. Turns out pretty much everything on the site is a cludge, broken or massively inefficient. Which wasn't that much of a surprise but its still scary when you map it all out. Now I just have to prioritize what to fix first.

throdgrain

FH is my second home

I know you're going to hate me for this but ... surely anyone can get a job in 14 months??

Maybe you should get a "lesser" job than the ones you are applying for to keep you going until you get the job you really want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom