Rant Work.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well. Fun!

Boss left for a vacation.
Hell of a hurry(about twice the hurry compared to usual, great time to vacate boss!).
I'm in charge in his absence(how handy...for him.)
Heard i might have to do two days of work AGAIN because someone in another department forgot to add a number in a file.

Last bit left me...how to say...joyous.

In short;

F*CKING AMATEUR F*CK F*CKERS!

Better.

Thank you, rant over.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Welcome to the real world, where most of us have to do at least 5 days a week of work.

...yeah, well read dude.

Do the work again. Ergo, 2 days of work gone, useless, worth nothing, because of someone elses work that should have been done as so.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I am sure you have made a mistake at work that has left someone else with something extra to do. It's all about being part of a team, sometimes people drop the ball but complaining won't resolve anything.

As the person in charge did you give them enough help? If they are amateurs maybe you should have been giving them better instructions, tthat is your role while your boss is away.

Marc

FH is my second home
...yeah, well read dude.

Do the work again. Ergo, 2 days of work gone, useless, worth nothing, because of someone elses work that should have been done as so.

You should have said "re-do" then shouldnt you :twak:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I am sure you have made a mistake at work that has left someone else with something extra to do. It's all about being part of a team, sometimes people drop the ball but complaining won't resolve anything.

As the person in charge did you give them enough help? If they are amateurs maybe you should have been giving them better instructions, tthat is your role while your boss is away.

Actually no, i haven't done mistakes of this magnitude. It's not an "it's expected" situation, that's a poor starting point.

People make mistakes, but rightfully so, i have the right to rant about it. Especially here where everyone does. I'll do the job as it's my job, but it's still two work days of wasted time. Even if i made suc a mistake that cost someone this amount of work, i'd rightfully expect someone to get a tad pissed about it.

I'm not in charge of that person, like said, different department.

You should have said "re-do" then shouldnt you :twak:

Do again, re-do, nit pick all you like.

Calaen

Actually no, i haven't done mistakes of this magnitude. It's not an "it's expected" situation, that's a poor starting point.

Just because you don't know about them does not mean they don't happen, as a manager of any department it is expected that people will make mistakes, the trick is how the top guy handles these problems.

Gunning down the employer will not work, you need to promote an environment where people are happy to own up to mistakes, in order to get the issue resolved. Nothing worse than working with people who will deny any wrong doing, it turns any workplace into a bitch fest. Problems encountered should be discussed openly, this is the only way for companies to work as a functioning unit. Regardless of the fact he's from a different department you are clearly on the same team, this means both sets of people have to communicate!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Just because you don't know about them does not mean they don't happen, as a manager of any department it is expected that people will make mistakes, the trick is how the top guy handles these problems.

Gunning down the employer will not work, you need to promote an environment where people are happy to own up to mistakes, in order to get the issue resolved. Nothing worse than working with people who will deny any wrong doing, it turns any workplace into a bitch fest. Problems encountered should be discussed openly, this is the only way for companies to work as a functioning unit. Regardless of the fact he's from a different department you are clearly on the same team, this means both sets of people have to communicate!

I'm not "gunning down" the employer, i'm ranting on it on a forum. But hey, assume away.

I talked about it with the guy and we came up with a working solution, the work needs to be redone still, but no major damage.

But i took the cat out of the bag and did make clear that it's not "ok" to make such mistakes. Next time, it's in the back of the head reminding that "i'll check that to make sure it's right". If not and it happens again? Well, different story.

Losing 15-20 hours of work is not, in any book, "ok".

And yes i do know if i've made a mistake that costs other people time, because people would tell me likewise. It's how things improve and people learn, not by patting their heads and going "It's ok".

Calaen

Had a hard drive fail on me about 8 years ago with over 150 hours of CAD drawings that had to be redrawn. Life is full of challenges, complaining about two days seems a bit poo :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Had a hard drive fail on me about 8 years ago with over 150 hours of CAD drawings that had to be redrawn. Life is full of challenges, complaining about two days seems a bit poo :p

A harddrive popping and an employer making amistake that he's trained to do, different situation.

I've had a project cancel on me that made 3-4 months of work useless, hardly the point now is it?

Life is full of challenges, sure, but saying "it's ok that another employer cost you workdays" is the "poo" part here.

But i guess we would have different leading styles and they would work in different companies, with different people, so let's not fight about that.

I got to rant, i got the steam out, let's not get into it eh? :p

Calaen

A harddrive popping and an employer making amistake that he's trained to do, different situation.

I've had a project cancel on me that made 3-4 months of work useless, hardly the point now is it?

Life is full of challenges, sure, but saying "it's ok that another employer cost you workdays" is the "poo" part here.

But i guess we would have different leading styles and they would work in different companies, with different people, so let's not fight about that.

I got to rant, i got the steam out, let's not get into it eh? :p

Thats the point though being trained does not make anyone immune to mistakes, the guy could have been having a real bad time personally, there are alot of factors at play when it comes to work.

I got no problem with you venting, I just know sometimes the shit hits the fan and the people that clean it up the best are the ones that don't moan about it :)

So rant away :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I got no problem with you venting, I just know sometimes the shit hits the fan and the people that clean it up the best are the ones that don't moan about it :)

So rant away :p

Now now, ranting here doesn't mean i moan about it at work ;)

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I'm covering a guy at work 6 days a week atm - a 40.5 hour week. Ofcourse it's nothing compared to what those on a salary do but I must say, it really opened my eyes as to how stressful & tiring work can be!

Most of the errors people make are small but yeah, without Marc's rude tone, I'd say try and not come down on them too harshly. esp. if the conditions etc. are unknown. I lost some money at work once (only a small amount) and noone understood the pressure I was going through at the time, with 101 things on my mind and trying to do 2-3 things at once. They simply see the mistake and blast you for it. Thus when others' make mistakes when I'm one of the foremen for a job, I try not to be a prick about it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Thus when others' make mistakes when I'm one of the foremen for a job, I try not to be a prick about it.

Just don't go the other way of the scale either.

I think Calaen thought i ranted at the guy and basically blew his head off, which i'm not suprised at all about as noone would know before i told about it.

But you can be too forgiving.

If people don't get hassled about mistakes at all, they get sloppy, don't bother with them and in msot cases don't even try to avoid them.

Too much of nice or too much of rant is equally bad.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
All work is a waste of time. We work for money which is a human construct of value but all the work we do is ultimately a waste of time because everything ceases in the fullness of time. So to say to repeat stuff is a waste of time isn't accurate. All you do at work is try to fill yr time till you can go home, if its unique or repeated work it doesnt really matter as you still get paid.

But ultimately society is crap, work is crap, money is crap. And its all pretty meaningless in the wider scheme of things.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
All work is a waste of time. We work for money which is a human construct of value but all the work we do is ultimately a waste of time because everything ceases in the fullness of time. So to say to repeat stuff is a waste of time isn't accurate. All you do at work is try to fill yr time till you can go home, if its unique or repeated work it doesnt really matter as you still get paid.

But ultimately society is crap, work is crap, money is crap. And its all pretty meaningless in the wider scheme of things.

Remember

howtocut.jpg

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Thanks for the advice .. i will remember to slice you up like that if i meet you :)

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
oh for crying out loud. it is rant. take it for what it is and stop trying to troll the shit out of it. even here i have to say stop.

/edit

see you all hugged and kissed and made up. good boys.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
I have never had a job that actually matters to the community but I do recall one fuck up last year. I was working 12 hour shifts in a factory and the manager (who got fired in the end) set the machine incorrectly. Instead of producing x number of products, it made less but you cannot tell by eye. One of the quality inspectors sussed it when she was counting the numeber of products in the stack.

I had to then rip open all the boxes and somehow shove in the extra products to make up the numbers. So I got my break at 530 am or something instead of 3 :/

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
I was thinking the same as Moriath. I can understand if you gotta work 20 hours for free. But 20 hours extra work, your getting paid for it anyway. Whats the big deal?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I was thinking the same as Moriath. I can understand if you gotta work 20 hours for free. But 20 hours extra work, your getting paid for it anyway. Whats the big deal?

There's a rush, we're overworked as it is, don't really have the extra time(have to get it somehow though) the company suffers if we're late, i won't accept failed deadlines(,y own that is), the previous work is effectively useless work.

I don't work solely for a paycheck, i actually like my job.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Welcome to the real world, where most of us have to do at least 5 days a week of work.

I have 6 weeks off now - all paid. Tough life this teaching lark. ;)

Now now, ranting here doesn't mean i moan about it at work ;)

Why not? Moan at the person who's fault it is. Glue his favourite coffee mug to his/her desk. Glad you got the steam out anyways. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom