Rant Work!

Dukat

Resident Freddy
I sit here for the best part of every day browsing FH and wikipedia simply so I dont go (more) insane.

I work at a company where I do things such as graphs, spreadsheets etc, getting data from external analysis and presenting it to the rest of the company, most of the data is weekly, so once its done one week its then done until next week.

Mostly I recieve around 15 peices of work a week, most of which take significantly less than 1 hour to do, three peices of work take around an hour, depending on complications which usually arise during processing. I work 20 hours a week, and spend atleast 10 of those hours without anything to do, more often than not its nearer 15 hours.

Great you say, you get paid to do nothing, but its not great, I get bored, intensely bored. When my boss is at work hes at a desk in the same room as my own, but hes not talkative, and theres no one else in the office, and because of my proximity to my boss I tend only to browse the net on FH or Wikipedia, so as not to push my luck, but he can see that I've got nothing to do, when I first started (over a year ago) I asked every 15 minutes if there is something to do, I could feel it was starting to piss the boss off, so I dont ask so often now, but I do periodicly ask for more work in general, with vague promises being made in return.

Dont get me wrong, its a good job in a way, I dont have to do much, I get paid well, I live within walking distance of my home and my hours allow me to train for the army. but being sat here with nothing to do and no one to talk to really is soul destroying.

What would you lot do? The obvious answer is have yet another serious talk with my boss, but I've tried it and continue to try, but the boss is also a friend of sorts out of work, and he's been good to me in the past, so I dont want to abuse that by having a go about something which possibly isnt entirely his fault.

I suspect the previous holder of my position didnt know much about computers or data manipulation, because she worked full time here doing only what I do.

I just wonder what the best course of action would be in a way, I sense that a few of the other people in the company are getting pissed off about it too because they're all busy, yet when I ask for work I get vague responses without any real answers.

I'm not really bothered in a way, its just irritating sometimes, Its ideal and yet its fart-boring. I guess staying here is the best bet, as other oppotunities for decent jobs in my area are limited (I live in a village in the middle of nowhere).

More of a rant than anything, I dont suppose there is much to do apart from continuing to try to talk to my boss about it, hopefully before too long I'll be in the army and things will be different.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Evidently they don't know you're better at your work then they assume.

Ask for more work and as such, more pay naturally.

tierk

Part of the furniture
Start up a business selling sarnies for delivery to the outlying villages, working from the net!! :D

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Start up a business selling sarnies for delivery to the outlying villages, working from the net!! :D

haha :D my golden rule is never to work with food, I cant stop myself eating, if I worked at a maccy D's I'd either get the sack or bankrupt the company because none of the food within a 50m radius of me would be getting to the customers :(

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Ask people if there is anything you can help them with?

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Maybe it's worth a sideline business to keep yourself amused. Maybe ebay if you know what you're talking about, or if you're good with computers (which you sound like you are) offer yourself out as a freelance web designer or something of that ilk. Something not too big to take up all your time, but something you can keep yourself amused with whilst also being productive.

The other, less interesting option, is to get to grips with the company you work for - is there anything they need that they haven't identified? For example, could you make their process of presenattions more effective or increase their impact by doing things a different way. You're the one doing the job so only you would know what they're missing.

It's a horrible thing when your immediate boss is kind of a friend. I work ina school and luckily my line manager (who isn't technically my employer, but is responsible for me) is distanced from me, especially as he's almost 60! I'm careful to distance myself from those I line manage - a swift drink after work etc. but that's it (beside they're all girls, I'm the last bastion of man in my immediate workplace!)

I hope you come up with a solution, I acknowledge it's hard to be more motivated as your boss could take it as 'This bugger wants my job' but if you are bored, no harm in trying and it shows the company that you're willing to contribute and see them succeed. ;)

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Thanks for the replies everyone :)

Hi Laddey :p

I have asked Rubric, but there seems to be a serious problem with people sharing thier work here, my boss doesnt like me helping elsewhere, even though I do make it known that if anyone has PC problems or wants a spreadsheet/application made or fixed then I can do it, but that only rarely happens.

I have covered for other people, but again this seems to be very uncommon and only when someone is off on holiday.

I dont think a pay increase is something I can realisticly ask for Toh, I'm being paid well for the work that I do, but I dont really do enough else to warrant it, and considering everyone else is far busier than I am, I would really kinda feel bad about taking more money - I dont really need it atm either, it would just be nice to not be bored for so long, I have asked for less hours, in order to make things a little better, but I didnt get a decent answer on that one either.

I do do a little web design on the side Kiliarien, and it keeps me busy out of work, but I'm not allowed to bring that sort of thing to work. I spend a few months when I first got here adding macros to the spreadsheets that are being used so that when I come to enter data, I can copy+paste it from the source and have the macro format it for me, rather than having to retype it manually, which seems to be what the previous person seemed to be doing.

I do have a look at what I'm doing occassionally, but it seems like I've done as much as I can now, each process is now as efficient as I can get it.

Looking at maybe making new reports is and idea though, I will spend a little while looking through things, but unless I can find loads of them, I will still be spending alot of my time without work to do.

Cheers for the answer though, its given me a few things to think about :) I think you're right about keeping some people at arms length, it would make things a little easier I guess.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I would base the negatives against how much you earn, and if you could get more for doing that job full time somewhere else.

But most importantly, would you want to be working full time? You have so little time if you need to commute by trains etc

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Whats the pay like compared to that job in other companies? maybe its time to move on buddy

Its fairly good pay really, everything aside from the fact that its fart-boring is ideal about it, thats why I havent quit yet :(

Its less than 1 mile from my home
It pays well compared to other jobs locally
Its contract work so I can quit without too much fuss
Its 20 hours a week, so plenty of time to allow me to train

Also, it might not be so easy to get another job, although there are a few options on that front I think, I'm kinda reluctant to leave this job when the grass might not be as green as it seems in other jobs.

Its not really much of a problem, worst comes to worst, I can leave that job without really missing it, the money might not be so good elsewhere but then I'm not so concerned with that side of things - I have bills to pay but nothing too substantial, and I fully intend to be in the army before too much longer.

My boss gets back next wednesday, so I'll have a word then, I think my contracts up for renewal soon anyway so I will have to have a think :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Its not really much of a problem, worst comes to worst, I can leave that job without really missing it, the money might not be so good elsewhere but then I'm not so concerned with that side of things - I have bills to pay but nothing too substantial, and I fully intend to be in the army before too much longer.

My boss gets back next wednesday, so I'll have a word then, I think my contracts up for renewal soon anyway so I will have to have a think :)

Stick with the job. You want to go into the army, so any other career at the moment does not really matter. You have nice hours, nice pay, 0 travel time and expenses so its a perfect job. Ok, you get a bit bored. But trust me mate, if you work 40 hours a week and it takes you an hour to travel to/from work you'll soon say "god i was a fool to leave".

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Stick with the job. You want to go into the army, so any other career at the moment does not really matter. You have nice hours, nice pay, 0 travel time and expenses so its a perfect job. Ok, you get a bit bored. But trust me mate, if you work 40 hours a week and it takes you an hour to travel to/from work you'll soon say "god i was a fool to leave".

Yea, this is true, I reckon I really should stay with it, I have a renewal date up soon I think so I might have a word about changing a few things, but I guess its best to stay like you say.

My boss has been off this week, so even less work than usual, but without him sitting at the next desk over from me I havent felt so guilty about slacking off :) Will have to see how it is next week I suppose.

Cheers for the replies and advice :D and good job on CS last night lol

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Yea, this is true, I reckon I really should stay with it, I have a renewal date up soon I think so I might have a word about changing a few things, but I guess its best to stay like you say.

My boss has been off this week, so even less work than usual, but without him sitting at the next desk over from me I havent felt so guilty about slacking off :) Will have to see how it is next week I suppose.

Nah I was awful, but I did have a couple of good rounds hehe.
Might be on tonight so can have another game. Have recently changed my CL_CrossHairScale to 25000 meaning its super small. Headshots are easier from distance, but certain maps make it hard to see where you're shooting lol

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Nah I was awful, but I did have a couple of good rounds hehe.
Might be on tonight so can have another game. Have recently changed my CL_CrossHairScale to 25000 meaning its super small. Headshots are easier from distance, but certain maps make it hard to see where you're shooting lol

Yea, the smaller crosshair is much better, dust and dust 2 can be a pain for that though :(

I wasnt going to be on tonight but I might beable to now depending on how things work out :)

That Magical badger guy is always abusive though, its like his thing :) people join vent and he swears at them instead of saying "hello", its really kinda funny when you think about it - hes the youngest person in the clan and trying to annoy people is just what he does :D

Best bet is to swear at him and tell him what you intend to do to his mum in graphic detail lol, after a little while of abuse he kinda warms to people (or just runs out of steam) and simmers down to background levels of rage :)

Killing him and then laughing about it for the next 10 rounds is good too :D

crispy

Can't get enough of FH

Seems like you need your own office then?

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Seems like you need your own office then?

That would be kinda nice, but unlikely to happen for a couple of reasons - I'm contracted so I could leave at any time, and I'm a technical advisor, so my job is about advising my boss (and other people), which means I guess I should be in the same office.

All of my work is on the PC, so very little bulk or stuff to take up an office, if I asked for one and someone said "why?" I'd be hard pressed to find an truthful explanation as to why I really do need one.

Combine that with the fact that very few people have thier own office here and it would make me feel a little silly to ask for my own office, especially for just 20 hours a week :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Yea, the smaller crosshair is much better, dust and dust 2 can be a pain for that though :(

I wasnt going to be on tonight but I might beable to now depending on how things work out :)

That Magical badger guy is always abusive though, its like his thing :) people join vent and he swears at them instead of saying "hello", its really kinda funny when you think about it - hes the youngest person in the clan and trying to annoy people is just what he does :D

Best bet is to swear at him and tell him what you intend to do to his mum in graphic detail lol, after a little while of abuse he kinda warms to people (or just runs out of steam) and simmers down to background levels of rage :)

Killing him and then laughing about it for the next 10 rounds is good too :D

Yeah I will let my kill ratio against him do the talking next time I see him...but if that fails, I'll open a can of Mrs BugZ on his ass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom