work winge

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
I suppose I'm a jammy bastard. I am on flexi time, I'm contracted to do 37 hours a week. This only changes when a project is coming to a head (release date) and I am expected to work every hour under the sun - this is usually fo r about 2 weeks, seems to be averaging about 6 weeks a year.

The rest of the time I go in when the fuck I want and I leave when the fuck I want. As long as all work is going full steam ahead and being dealt with and I'm doing my bit they dont care what I wear, what time I go in or anything.

I was lucky enough to be asked to join the company, they know my attitude is Life > Work and if they tried any of the shit you have to put up with I'd walk out and do piercing/tattooing full time. They bloody well know this but I have a good relationship with work.

It definitely hasn't always been this way! I would seriously consider moving on Yoni! poor thing :fluffle:

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Tom said:
So what you're saying is, your employer is regularly breaking your employment contract? Thats total bollocks, and you should have a chat with your union rep (if you have a union).

Tom members of professional bodies are not allowed to be in Unions as far as I am aware......

You will find that most people who are professionaly qualified / part qualified work these kind of hours.

Oh and :fluffle: to you too Xtro - hope Canada is going well

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
Im a software engineer for an American Telecoms company.

My contract states I get 20 days holiday per year, work for a MINIMUM of 37 hours per week plus what ever extra hours my manager sees fit which can include bank holidays, weekends and working away from home and my usual office.

Ive also had to wave my right to the European Workers Rights directive (cant do more than 48 hours per week for something like 17 weeks straight) and Im not allowed to join a Union.

Im salaried and dont get overtime, I regularly work 60+ hour weeks, but I do get paid a shit load for what I do.

I intend of paying off a huge lump of my mortgage over the next 2 years (if not all of it) and then quitting and getting a job in Maccy Dees for a couple of days a week to keep me occupied :)

They do take the piss with the hours I work, but then I feel that I am actually financially rewarded for it so it doesnt bother me too much.

(I actully type this from work and I have no idea what time Im going to finish tonight)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Yoni said:
Tom members of professional bodies are not allowed to be in Unions as far as I am aware......

You will find that most people who are professionaly qualified / part qualified work these kind of hours.

Oh and :fluffle: to you too Xtro - hope Canada is going well

Exactly...I wish there was a Union I could go on strike more oftenthan the tube workers...

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Well I had a mid-year appraisal yesterday and telling my line manager that the company had shat on everyone went down well.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
All I can say is, keep watching television, keep me in work! Thank Christ I don't have to work under the conditions you guys suffer.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
dysfunction said:
Exactly...I wish there was a Union I could go on strike more oftenthan the tube workers...

I've seriously considered jacking in IT and becoming a tube driver...

35k a year, 6 weeks holiday and a 35 hour week maximum......

And they can't sack you because you have 3000 lazy bastards who will go out on strike at the drop of a hat so they can drink beer and watch the football.... Nice...

Although I am considering civil service it jobs as my next step, they now pay more than i get in the private sector with more benefits....

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
The only laws about working silly hours in this country are that you're not meant to work more than an average of 48 hours a week over an extended period of time (it's something like averaged hours/week over a 17 week period). also you intitled to a minimum of 12 hours off between work periods (i.e. if you work till 9pm they can't legally have you come in before 9 am the next morning).

That said, I sometimes work silly hours (80+ hour weeks are harsh) and as I'm salaried, no overtime is paid. That's just the way the industry I'm in works alas. :(

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
danya, does that 12 hours apply to everyone? because my shift is 1.30-10 sunday then 9-5.30 monday.maybe my counting is off but thats 11 hours not 12. can you also please link to a website so i can tell my HR dept about this. because if this is the case im not happy.

edit: bah, just found a website that says 11 ;) oh well

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
why arent some people allowed to join the union btw? Is that somewhere in the law or just in their contracts (both seem weird to me tbh)?

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
If you decide to join a professional body you agree not to be apart of a Union. Well thats how it worked when I joined CIMA.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
danya, does that 12 hours apply to everyone? because my shift is 1.30-10 sunday then 9-5.30 monday.maybe my counting is off but thats 11 hours not 12. can you also please link to a website so i can tell my HR dept about this. because if this is the case im not happy.

edit: bah, just found a website that says 11 ;) oh well
Ah yeah might have been 11 for UK and 12 for europe, I could never remember which was actually right here. :eek:

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
only 12 if your aged 16-18, the young wippa snappers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom