work winge

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Not often i have a good ol moan on here however today is one of those days....

Do any of you have evening meetings where you are asked to do shit loads of work before 7.45am in the morning.......

If not welcome to my world :eek:

Mellow

Loyal Freddie
That makes not much sense?

Stop moaning about your job! Put up with it, or get a new one :D

Summo

Loyal Freddie
Mellow said:
That makes not much sense?

Stop moaning about your job! Put up with it, or get a new one :D
Yoni, your company is taking the piss. Don't do the work until tomorrow morning.

Clown

Part of the furniture
I'm not asked to do anything. I know what I have to do.

Will

/bin/su
I mention things like "double time" and "anti-social shift allowance", and they normally ask me to do it tomorrow morning instead. :)

Yoni

I am salaried so no overtime and I would do it tomorrow but the presentation is at 8.30am.

Thanks for the sympathy Mellow :)

Vae

Resident Freddy
Having just got in from work and, I believe, in a similar job I know exactly how you feel :(

I do think they tend to take the piss sometimes and put up with it far more than I should do.

:wub: But hugs and drink make it all go away :D

Yoni

awww Vae I have just finished - *goes to kill some fishheads, heheeh Summo watch out :p*

dysfunction

FH is my second home
On the day of the tube strike my boss decided it was a good idea for me to work late :(

I dont mind having to work late from time to time but not on a day it takes me hours to get home ffs!!!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Yoni said:
I am salaried so no overtime and I would do it tomorrow but the presentation is at 8.30am.

Thanks for the sympathy Mellow :)

I don't work for free. Why should anybody else?

Its not like they have any excuses to ask this of you. Demand recompense, or don't do it.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Tom said:
Demand recompense, or don't do it.

or dont do it and loose your job at the first available excuse

hmmmmmmmmm :rubchin:

Yoni

so no one apart from Dys / Vae or myself are salaried working for companies with unreasonable work ethics?

Hmmmmmms this is interesting...

I work for a French company. Over there they get extra days off because of the labour laws for management. I wish there was a way of making companies limit the hours staff work in the UK although that would have its issues also.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, the place I worked for my uni year out was like that. I once worked till 1am one day. Got some nice scotch eggs out of it :D

Dweller

Fledgling Freddie
You're not the only one Yoni.

My wife and I work for a large American IT company, which is regularly in the habit of screwing it's employee's over. Due to cost-cutting measures and internal restructuring, they've managed to reduce the workforce by 20%, whilst increasing the amount of work to be done at the same time, resulting in most people doing one and half times their normal amount of work, for the same pay as before :(

kanonfodda

Fledgling Freddie
hmm, always a pain when work takes the piss. I am also salaried, and have been asked to do things that will take me outside of my hours. As I don't get overtime etc, unless it is authorised by the department I am working for (I work in IT), I usually just tell them when it will be done.

I do understand how you fell Yoni, my previous employer used to take the piss, which is why I left.

:fluffle:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Kanonfodda has the correct attitude. I don't find it at all difficult to tell somebody that unless they pay my overtime (a rate that I decide, not them), then I won't be working for them. If that means they never call me again, then so be it, but I don't want to work for people that take the piss anyway. Its called respect, and if they don't show it, they don't get it.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
our OT rate is only time and a third, but if you do 50 hours in a month you get £100 worth of voucers aswell :D. also know what you mean about taking the piss, at my last job they took the piss waaaayyy too much telling me im not allowed lunch!! in the end i got bullied out because i wouldnt take shit from them and they couldnt fire me for it.
now where i work (wanadoo), they dont take the piss at all. you do your 7.5 hours and thats it, they even make you go home when you have done it!

Vae

Resident Freddy
It's all very well Tom but your profession is one where that kind of situation is the norm. In other professions like Yoni's and mine where the position is salaried and the norm is more than a 9-5 job it's more difficult not to bow to the pressure to "just finish this job" or "just get that letter out" or "can you put that report on my desk for that morning meeting".

Maybe we should refuse but the problem is it's normal for the job and thus expected. Even if they can't get fire you for it you can guarantee your job will become more difficult or you'll be first in the redundancy list :(

G

In your contract of employment it probably says that you are expected to work, "for the required time per week that it takes to complete your job role"

This could possibly include work at home, which if you are salaried then is included in your monthly cash, if this type of thing is a regular occurance then i would speak to your line manager about time off in lieu.

Wait until you have completed your tasks before asking, these extra things you are doing will hopefully bolster your chances of a pay rise at the pay review time.

Richard

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
My work is similar to some and similar to others.

One one hand, you are "expected" to finish the job. If that means working over time, then so be it.

On the other hand, if your work has been finished for the day, my boss has often told me to pack up and go home.

As for overtime, I DONT get paid for overtime worked Mon-Fri. For the weekends, I only get OT for more than 4 hours worked. (i.e. working for 3 hours on a Sat gets me diddly squat)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You guys should consider moving to France.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Vae said:
It's all very well Tom but your profession is one where that kind of situation is the norm. In other professions like Yoni's and mine where the position is salaried and the norm is more than a 9-5 job it's more difficult not to bow to the pressure to "just finish this job" or "just get that letter out" or "can you put that report on my desk for that morning meeting".

Maybe we should refuse but the problem is it's normal for the job and thus expected. Even if they can't get fire you for it you can guarantee your job will become more difficult or you'll be first in the redundancy list :(

Exactly.

And another point is that there are probably 100's of other people out there that could take your place.

So its not easy to just drop your job and get another one when there is so much competition.

I am in the process of finding another job. Ive been looking for about 8 months now. I could have moved a lot earlier to jobs where the situation would have been very similar. So it would have been the case of "same job, different office". I'm not prepared to just move for the sake of it.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
tris- said:
our OT rate is only time and a third, but if you do 50 hours in a month you get £100 worth of voucers aswell :D. also know what you mean about taking the piss, at my last job they took the piss waaaayyy too much telling me im not allowed lunch!! in the end i got bullied out because i wouldnt take shit from them and they couldnt fire me for it.
now where i work (wanadoo), they dont take the piss at all. you do your 7.5 hours and thats it, they even make you go home when you have done it!

What's overtime? I've not been paid overtime for 4 years now..... My normal working week is around 50 hours and I'm expected to work weekends and evenings if needs be...... Although if they don't start paying me a decent wage soon I will be looking for employment elsewhere....

Although that said if i need time off I can have it and my team and management are pretty relaxed and flexible which makes it almost bearable (that and the fact i'm unofficially taking all the weekend work off as time in lieu which means that after 2 holidays and a couple of long weekends i still have 20 days holiday left this year!)

Yoni

My contract of employment says I am required to work between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday with an hour for lunch.

"OCCASIONALLY" your manager will require you to work outside of these hours.

My reality
Frequently
7.30am - 5pm Mon - Fri

Often
7.30am - 6pm Mon - Fri
couple of hours in the evenings
4 or 5 hours over the weekend

Rarely
07.00 - 9pm Mon - Fri
when I get in till 2am
All Weekend.

If I refuse then:
a] I am not considered to be doing my job (my role which involves strategic projects / acquisitions is bound by time restraints i.e. you CANNOT walk away from them.
b] I would get a shite appraisal which would inturn reflect my pay rise and bonus.
c] Due to me being "inflexible" if redundancys were to occur then I would appear top of the list.

I like my job I just feel sometimes they ask a little too much - that is what my winge was about. However I find it incredibly interesting that there are not more than a few people who actually have to work in this kind of environment who use these boards.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
I am salaried and I am expected to work at least 9/5.
I am often out of my house a stupid o'clock in the morning, and often don't get home until 10/11 pm if at all. Being in sales I do have an incentive to sell, which often means putting in the hours. I will occasionally need to do reports etc at weekends due to running out of time during the week.

I do not intend to spend the rest of my working life doing this.

kanonfodda

Fledgling Freddie
Yoni said:
However I find it incredibly interesting that there are not more than a few people who actually have to work in this kind of environment who use these boards.

hmm, interesting point, I started visiting Barrysworld after I started my current job, and as a direct result of it, as the Clan I am a member of was formed by a group of people in my office. I would imagine the percentage of people with a less time intensive environment is quite high on these boards, because of that environment.

just a thought. :D

I do have a lot of sympathy for people who do work in an office where working late is the norm, rather than the exception, as I did it or a fair few years. I was lucky that this job came along and gave me a way out. I hope that your environemtn improves, either with better pay/benefits etc, or that a better job presents itself.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Yoni said:
My contract of employment says I am required to work between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday with an hour for lunch.

<snip>

My reality
Frequently
7.30am - 5pm Mon - Fri

So what you're saying is, your employer is regularly breaking your employment contract? Thats total bollocks, and you should have a chat with your union rep (if you have a union).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom