Woo at Steam Update

A

-adz-

The worst timing ever, as in an hour or so before a league game steam gets an update.

Added support for "trickle update", which will allow updates to games to be delivered over time before they are activated.

Optimizations in Steam targeted at reducing CPU and memory load on some systems.

Progress dialog always shows now during startup.

Fixed handling of cache fingerprint mismatch on reconnect

Fixed case which would cause the preloader ignoring errors to send extra messages to the Steam servers.

Fixed a potential lockup case and access violation case in Steam.

Fixed bug in Steam that would cause cache to be validated too often when Steam started. This would cause hard drive thrashing.

Possibly the best steam related news i've heard, i got tired of the hard disk having a fit every now and again

C

Ch3tan

Yeah I pm'd benny with the hardrive update info bit -I am usre he will be releaved.

One snag with Steam they still haven't fixed though -updates should not run when you are connected to a server, I had to exit and turn of all auot updating and then restrat Steam to stop it ruining my ingame pings.

A

-adz-

Perhaps the trickle update may tie in at some point, you never know they might eventually get it right soon :)

T

throdgrain

Mine worked fine, even though other people were updateing, there was no call for me to do so untill I restarted it.
Then it stuck on 38%, where it remains :)

S

]SK[

Yes mines on 30% and has been updating for about 20 mins. Modem doesnt look too busy either.

C

Ch3tan

The actuall update worked fine. My issue was with trickling I think. I installed Opposing force add-on the other day, via Steam. It installed enough to let me start playing and gets the rest of the content when I am idle -however since this upgrade it does it while I am ingame not just idling :/

S

]SK[

Yus after finally updating and after many restarts steam says I have no games installed. I close steam and reopen it to find it updating again. Only to find its not updating its going back to a previous version :(

We have identified a bug in the recent update which was causing Steam users to download much more content than was necessary. This was overloading the network and not allowing people to play games, so we have reverted back to the previous version for now. There will probably be some network congestion due to all this for the next couple of hours or so.

Users who are viewing this thread