Women + Shopping

Y

~YuckFou~

This is really about discounts.
Mrs Yuck will be in town and spot something, maybe a top. Now lets say the top is normally £60, but its reduced to £30. This now is a "must have" item. She wouldn't buy it at £60 but at £30 it's irresistable, but only because it used to be £60.
When she gets home she will proudly show me her great buy "Look I saved £30!". No you didn't you say I, you spent £30. The money is irrelevant, its the thought process I don't understand.

If I want something, I know more or less how much it will cost, go looking for that item or something very similar. I'm going to buy it whatever, so if I get a sale/discount bargain then I've saved some money.

The discount tops etc invariably end up in the bottom of the wardrobe and finally in the charity bag btw.

S

Sharma

Women + sales and bargains are like bread and butter ;)

J

Johnny Bravo

LoL...I know what ya saying. Buy 1 get 1 free falls straight into this category too.

Go food shopping with the girlfriend, every single buy 1 get one free offer is snapped up. You get your til receipt at the bottom she points out how much we *saved* on the offers, she just doesn't understand that we didn't need 1 of the items let alone 2 and therfore spent more :rolleyes:

X

Xtro

My shopping trip :

Get in car, go to city centre, go to Shop A for Prouct A, Shop B for Product B, get in car, go home.

I know what I am going for, I already know where to go to get it and that the price is ok.

Mrs Xtro's trip:
Go to shops A-Z, spend ages in each one dithering for fucking ages only whilst in shop Z to say...actually I prefer that one in Shop A. Go all the way back to Shop A only for...actually oh I don't know! What do you think? Leave town, nothing bought. Turns to me and says how can you shop like you do? You don't want to browse? Me - no I actually fucking buy thing that I want.

D

Durzel

In all honesty, I fall foul of this quite often.

If I find something available for some insane price (e.g. imported) then I often rationalise buying it in my mind by saying "but its x cheaper than over here, I'd be a fool not to snap it up", forgetting of course that - as you say - you're only saving money if you genuinely were prepared to buy it at the original price anyway. Often, discounted items (or at least the perception of discounted items) makes something that you would otherwise not have considered buying suddenly unmissable - exactly the situation you have pointed out.

It's a common pitfall that anyone who is susceptible to bouts of irrational retail therapy falls into. The catch of course with "50% off!" discounts is that often the discount is applied to the full RRP, which is normally discounted anyway. So you're not really making a killing or anything, but psychologically you are.

D

Durzel

Originally posted by Johnny Bravo
LoL...I know what ya saying. Buy 1 get 1 free falls straight into this category too.
Being pedantic - I don't think it does..

Buying 1 and getting 1 free is a loss-leader obviously, but since its normally applied to food - you have to actually want the first item to even care about the second. Although, technically I suppose it would in theory make you want to try it just because you're getting one extra "free".

Y

~YuckFou~

Another thought that occured...

Me "How much is it"
Mrs Yuck looking at price ticket "£19"
Me looking at price ticket "No, its £19.99, thats £20 then"

Always.

L

Lester

A guy I know, when he has some excess of shit stock he puts a big sign over it saying "ONE PER CUSTOMER ONLY!"

They all go within days....

W

Wij

This is so true Yuck.

"I've saved so much money !", they tell you. :doh:

Also, my shopping trips can be acheived on my own in less than an hour.

Mrs Wij's shopping trips have to have an afternoon allocated to them, and a morning helping her get ready, and cannot be achieved without my help. Even if she only wants one item.

:(

M

mank!

Alas, I'm the same. I fall for 'spesheul offarz!!!!1' :(

I'm also awful when it comes to shopping, I'll spend ages browsing in shops but if it's HMV or something I'll be there hours, get myself a small pile of CDs and think "Hm, can't afford all this" and put a few back. Then I decide to put the ones I've still got back and get the ones I put back. Then I find something else and decide not to buy the others and buy that and finally decide I don't want that either and leave.

Even if I go in with a couple of CDs in mind I either come out with nothing or with entirely different CDs :/

L

Lester

I hope you put them all back in the right place.

*grind teeth*

M

mank!

Originally posted by Lester
I hope you put them all back in the right place.

*grind teeth*

Yeah I do, I also do it in other shops when I see something out of place whether I've touched it or not :/

If I see someone put something back out of place it annoys me, must have come from working in a shop where things were invariably all over the place.

W

Wij

I like to move things to the wrong section. I find it fun.

T

Testin da Cable

I hardly ever go shopping because I hate it. Ooh, I hates it bad.
When I do go however, I plan ahead where to go, what to get etc. Trips usually take less than an hour (boon that I can walk everywhere too as I live in the city).

I do love to go clothes-shopping with girls though (yep sounds strange indeed). In fact I love it so much that they tend to never ask me to go with them after the first time. Which also is a boon :)

M

mank!

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
I do love to go clothes-shopping with girls though (yep sounds strange indeed). In fact I love it so much that they tend to never ask me to go with them after the first time. Which also is a boon :)

Is this to do with you following them into the changing rooms?

L

leggy

wtf is a boon?

(apart from lame english TV show with micheal elphick)

D

Deadmanwalking

Hang on TDC so u like going shopping with them? yet its a boon if they dont ask u to go again?

HUH

W

Will

I like going underwear shopping with girlfriends.

"So, you want me to go into La Senza with you?"

"Yes"

"And I have to look through lots of skimpy underwear, and imagine you in it?"

"Yes"

"In public?"

"Yes"

"Fantasic, lets go"

They look very confused after that. Can't think why, since its a win-win situation for me.

T

Tom

I'm a bit of an impulse buyer, I usually buy stuff I like, get home with it, play for 10 minutes or so, then think 'er.. right. think ill make a cup of tea'

Its not so much the thrill of buying, but the thrill of wanting. I 'want' that BMW530d estate, but when I 'get' it, it will be just another car.

J

Jonny_Darko

Shopping for shoes is teh worst. It's such a stereotype but it tends not to be exaggerated. My four pairs of shoes consist of trainers, casual shoes, smart shoes and slippers.

My gf has 27 pairs of shoes...

"I need some black boots"

"You have some black boots"

"Ahh, but these have a square heel and stitching, I want a pointed heel and no stitching"

"Riiiiight"

SLAP!

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by Mank:
Is this to do with you following them into the changing rooms?

yeah, that too :)

Originally posted by Leggy:
wtf is a boon?

boon:
- A benefit bestowed, especially one bestowed in response to a request.
- A timely blessing or benefit: A brisk breeze is a boon to sailors.

Originally posted by DMW:
Hang on TDC so u like going hsopping with them? yet its a boon if they dont ask u to go again?

HUH

I live to confuse :)

J

jo.

I'm sure I remember some TV program ages ago saying that men shopped "efficiently"... planning ahead what they needed to get and where, and only going where they needed to before heading home.

Women however go shopping just to buy things, and randomly flit from shop to shop looking at things they don't really need, before spending hoards of money on something they'll probably never use.

Shopping efficiently is a pain when you need to kill time though... I'm going into town tomorrow to buy a couple of things, and need to waste an hour or two before heading to college. But I can guarantee I'll be finished inside 20 minutes. :(

T

Testin da Cable

kill time shopping? *shudders* it's teh evil!!1

T

Tom

The title for this thread is wrong. It should be:

Women = shopping

S

SilverHood

shoping is a money sink for women

for men, its to get useful bits and bobs

S

Shocko

Originally posted by jo.
Shopping efficiently is a pain when you need to kill time though... I'm going into town tomorrow to buy a couple of things, and need to waste an hour or two before heading to college. But I can guarantee I'll be finished inside 20 minutes. :(
Too true :( When you're looking at something, knowing full well that you're not interested in buying it at all... It seems so dirty. It's as if the other people in the shop know that you're only browsing for the sake of it :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom