Women aren't funny...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So much backtracking and goalpost moving by Scouse that i could swear he's imitating me. Not worth the effort really :p

"Women aren't funny!"
"Women can be funny!"
"Women are genetically not funny!"
"It can be that women aren't funny due to other reasons!"
"If they are funny then they are funny women!"

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
On telly, definitely, but on the circuit the pressures are different for women than men (for the reasons above) and that plays out more noticeably with alternative female comediennes. You'll notice a lot of safer female comics will get the sandwich act, to warm up for the main, or they'll get the compère role because they aren't too challenging and they build a warm rapport. Women don't tend to get the first spot, as that's when audience confidence is low. The edgier female comics don't always get the time to develop their act because the faith that the pay off will be there isn't as high.

Fucking hell Dams, is there anything you don't do? :)

What needs to happen for women to get those spots then? What's happening that's stopping them?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Stopping them; Same thing that's happening with all the professions that used to be male-clubs; doctors, race drivers, game development, etc.

What needs to happen; Time needs to happen. Things are advancing all the time.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I very much doubt there is some sort of old boys club holding Women back at Never Mind the Buzzcocks. I would imagine the best talent that is affordable / available is booked and gender doesn't factor into it.

Now at open mic nights ect it may be different maybe comedy clubs do have a sexist attitude but this kind of thing from the BBC is typical for the fucking nanny state pc bullshit.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
And it's probably some PR guys bright idea to bring more females in because "we get more female viewers that way."

Damini

Part of the furniture
I very much doubt there is some sort of old boys club holding Women back at Never Mind the Buzzcocks. I would imagine the best talent that is affordable / available is booked and gender doesn't factor into it.

Now at open mic nights ect it may be different maybe comedy clubs do have a sexist attitude but this kind of thing from the BBC is typical for the fucking nanny state pc bullshit.

But the Catch 22 is that you absolutely won't get booked at the BBC or equivalent without having being an established presence on the circuit, or without having stormed Edinburgh Fringe (a feat in itself, requiring thousands of pounds of investment). You also won't get to be great unless you get the experience - being inherently funny is only a starting point for stand up, and the skill can only be practised in front of a live audience.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I bet there is a anti discrimination committee set up within the BBC and in one of the meetings some metro sexual said "there were no females on NmtB". They then formed a steering committee and spent 18 months and x thousands deciding this pish!

soze

I am a FH squatter
But the Catch 22 is that you absolutely won't get booked at the BBC or equivalent without having being an established presence on the circuit, or without having stormed Edinburgh Fringe (a feat in itself, requiring thousands of pounds of investment). You also won't get to be great unless you get the experience - being inherently funny is only a starting point for stand up, and the skill can only be practised in front of a live audience.
Yeah I have just been reading about how Comedy Central Roasts have been a launching pad for lesser know female comics in America.

The problem I see with the BBC doing this is it will still not help the lesser or unknown female comics. All i can see it doing in ensuring that the established female comics can write their own cheque and will be on several shows a week.

Unless the BBC now do some sort of stand up talent show and establish a new crop of female talent it does not seem to be helping the grater issue.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
On another downside it also devalues any female comic who's now going on the show due to being there "just because they're a woman".

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
An amazingly unique female trait.
Best I heard it described..woman waits in queue seemingly oblivious to the possibility of there being a financial transaction at the till.

Himse

FH is my second home
Miranda on BBC, the worst 'comedy' i've ever even half seen (i saw an advert, and it looked horrific)

ileks

Part of the furniture
The only female comedian I find funny is Joe Brand. Philomena Cunk doesn't make me laugh at all. Ali G and so many others did the pretend to be stupid routine ten times better. There's a woman who used to be on QI quite a lot who just pretends to be stupid all the time and it's terrible.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The only female comedian I find funny is Joe Brand. Philomena Cunk doesn't make me laugh at all. Ali G and so many others did the pretend to be stupid routine ten times better. There's a woman who used to be on QI quite a lot who just pretends to be stupid all the time and it's terrible.

"Philomena Cunk" is just reading Charlie Brooker's script.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
On a related subject, and you're not really supposed to say it out loud, but is there a single current non british white comedian who doesn't make jokes about the fact they're non british white? Or jokes about how their particular ethnicity is hiarious when their nan does something in a particularly ethnic way etc.

It really boils my piss when the likes of Shappi Korshandi or Omid Djalili have to include jokes about being Iranian in every single fucking set they do.

Oooh, I'm a racist for noticing this I'm sure, but I can't be the only one who sighs when they see them on the bill at Live at the Apollo, vow to turn it over the moment they make a 'I was stopped getting on the plane because I was wearing a body warmer' joke and then bang it over to something else when it inevitably arrives?

Sorry for going a bit OT.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
sorry but <every "roast" ever> is the most unfunny shit in the world and shouldn't even be called comedy. and that goes double if a token "celeb" is there to woodenly read some lines off an auto-que.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
sorry but <every "roast" ever> is the most unfunny shit in the world and shouldn't even be called comedy. and that goes double if a token "celeb" is there to woodenly read some lines off an auto-que.

Eddie Murphy, not really a roast, celebration was rather good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom