Wizards....

O

old.LandShark

Can anyone give me some kind of comparison between fire and ice in lvl50 RvR? I'm not sure which spec to choose when I get the single-line respec at 40. Atm I'm ice for PvE. Pros and cons in RvR, at all? Oh, and I'm not really considering earth. Gifvs DD, etc.

E

--Eraser--

if you re brave enough to run close to the enemy, pick ice...dmg output is just insane i think, although the fire one isnt that bad too :)

about the resists: i can only talk about fire and i feel all mids n hibs (especiallly last ones) mave maxed this to the limit. but might be with ice the same, no idea.

ok whats better with fire...the additional spec line bolt, which is supposed to be THE 1-hit-killer?
forget it, as long as the bolts are bugged in this way (target in combat, you know what im taalking about), they re as good as useless. i can count with one hand how often i killed someone with a bolt in the last month....aehm year maybe even.

only thing why i stay with fire is the advantage you have with able too keep distance to your enemy. i really hate my hands glowing in fire when casting cause this indicates me as a potential big damage dealer, but beside that you can be pretty lucky sometimes beeing ignored, just because you stand more far away casting...

just my opinion about that topic....damn i start writing these disclamers now as well beeing afraid to be flamed....
stupid community !!! :)

D

DeaD GuRu

if ur going ice, try to find a descent "pet"
as in a fighter or paladin that wants to shield , protect u in rvr, then u'll rock

as for fire, i don't think it is wise nor would mezzers, rooters like it if u go AOE crazy in rvr, single dd is verry effective, and with the right buffs and upgrades, u could even singlebolt another caster. U will never outrange other realms tho, that is a problem, so resists to mezz and protection is also needed for firewizzies as for icewizzies.

This protection is and will always be a major problem because fighters and paladins are to eagre to go bash some mid-faces. No fighter seems willing to be in the second line of assault, all want to chop chop.

I think to be good in rvr u will need a slamming shield speccer protecting u. When i went RVR, looong time ago, i had a couple of fighters-paladins protecting me in my former guild, it worked, and it went nice. But in some instances it is a boring experience for the protecting person. So u can't blame em if they suddenly seem to have dissapeared and are bashing some gate or mid

damage will be descent in both cases, ice or fire, it's just the way and moment u do it that change it. Ice snare is fun also.

as for earth.... i have no idea, rest of my points have been spent on this type, but not one effective nor gescent spell to be found in there.

maybee ice fire would be a good combo if u want to go AOE crazy, Long distance aoe fire nuking, short distance pbaoe ice nuking to finish the job, dunno if this works tho. Just a thaught.

greetz

E

--Eraser--

good points ironheart made there.
i agree having a tank at your side increases the chance to survive abit longer incredibly! but i also agree on the problem tanks have often with this job...once they smell blood they run off to chase a hib/mid...and they re always very sorry afterwards....
"damn it just went though with me again..." :)
(hello tempy, yes i talk mostly about you, eheh)

about the idea to go for a mixture fire/ice:
mmmh nope ! the idea sounds good, to have a spell for ranged and close but in practice i think you just gimp yourself because your dmg output wont be enough...and thatss what the damn wiz is about, doing damage...we cant do ANYTHING else :)

F

Flimgoblin

go earth ;)

fire's better for running around emain, ice better in keeps. Unless you've got a group set up for PBAOE (like LA etc.)

I imagine you'll have an HB guild group - so you might do pretty well with ice.

That said fire's not so bad from keeps either - bolting casters from the walls is fun (especially if they let their AF drop)

W

-Wedge-

Having played fire for 4-5 months and now switched to Ice... The damage output on normal nukes isnt hugely different... You have a snare or debuff with your ice nukes, and you just had 'good' damage as fire...

AOE isnt used a lot (fire one), since it just doesnt cut it... But PBAoE is 'da bomb'... But I have to admid, I was a bit disapointed I only hit for 300-500 most of the time... (almost never above 500)

Then again, thats way more then with fire :clap:

One thing I do notice though, I run OOP a LOT as Ice wizard, and I do mean a WHOLE lot... Way more then a firewizard... Not sure why... Nukes dont actually delve at higher power usage... (the snare is 33 power, and 47-fire dd is 31)

Perhaps its because the snare is level 50 (meaning 100% power usage with a 50-focus staff, instead of 80% power with a 47 spell with a 50-focus staff)... Atleast I thought this is how it worked...

J

Jiggs

i know from my runemaster (has level 50 snare/dd same as ice wiz) that if you have a decent level of wild arcana your snare can 'critical'

now not many know this but effectively it means you have a DD/Root when it goes off which is really vicious: DDing someone for 300ish when they cant move :D

i wouldnt rule out earth either, alot to be said for gtaoe and ae root....

but in the end of the day, if you are ice and enjoying it while you level up then stay ice: you are used to it etc etc

F

Flimgoblin

due to all three lines becoming viable (ish) I had to change my plans for my earth wizzie :)

37 earth 39 ice !

gimpzard!

S

smokee_hb

Well atm. albs cant do propper rvr pbaoe groups in emain unless they are 2 groups. Other tactics would work better when only 1group. But if you got one tank group with BoF ahaed of you and a group behind with 2 pbaoers that target those that goes for group 1 healers or casters, it work very well. Tried some different tacticts on this one, and you might wanna check up on guild forum for more info.

//Smokee of HB

T

Tilda

+well i know FC has about 4 - 6 people all with an ice wizard somewhere in the making.
thb go ice, they reason hibs wipe zergs out so fast is an aoe root/mes and the lots of pbaoe.

If we can indoctrinate people into making an ice wizard rahter than fire albion coould potentially become a greater force to be reconed with.

Tilda

O

old.LandShark

I'd check up guild forum if I knew where the hell it was, rofl =)
My bad, I know it got moved lately....
Never occurs to me to go check it tbh :p

Thanks for all the suggestions folks...
Only thing didn't get covered is the speed differences... I'm a sucker for really fast DDing, and I'm fairly convinced the fire baseline DD is faster than the ice... and the fire specline is faster than the ice snare/debuff DDs....
Can't imagine ice or fire would face different resists really, both types of resist buff are druids' whereas body/energy/spirit are on wardens which is why sorcs/minstrels/clerics feel so damn nerfed when they DD a hib.. :p

A

Apathy

I have a level 5 earth wizard!

I clicked the wrong button. :(

But...it's ALL on matter damage and so...mwahaha. I thinl GTAoE is the funniest thing ever, anyway.

a.

F

Flimgoblin

apathy - respec at 20 ;)

ice and fire base dds are the same speed (ice used to be faster)
the ice spec dd/snare is 0.2 seconds slower :(

A

Apathy

I dunno...I am grouping with a paladin most of the time. Ice would have worked pretty well but earth is just so funny.

a.

S

-Shaz-

Psht, stop respeccing from fire to ice, go ice from 1-50 like me t_t

Fear the soloing of the ice wizzie in the olden days before anyone (even hibbites) used pbae groups t_t

S

-Shaz-

As for pbae, you neeeeeeed boofs.

300 int and 290+ dex means i pop most ppl for around 500 even if they have high resists, sometimes falls just under and goes up to almost 800 :D

Ice is fun...don't expect to run around pbaeing as easy as hibs as they have 2-3 pbaers in their group and have a "lead" pbaer (we really need to do this) but even solo it's fun. You just have to think, find the right time for the pbaes :p

Hardest bit about ice wizzie is getting the rp for purge then moc which is about 400k with mcl or 320 without :p

Then you can have fun with wild power and mom :D

L

lac_desariel

My wizard atm is speced at 32 Ice and 43 Earth.. Im a group wizard i use base line nukes (not the snare) i have the 3rd best PBAE hits for about 20-50 more than my nuke..... its good enough to do the job needed. mostly i use my /assist zoyster Macro and between me and him most die real fast..... (tip to casters Assist you main nuker) i have the best AE Root in the earth line which is handy and the Best GTAE...

My wizard is build for keep defence, i will always be back up nuker if another wizard is in the group and back up CC if we have other CC (providing they are good) normaly its Outlaw, unless i run a 2nd GOL group then its me.

In a keep im in my element my GTAE rox, stealther can try but i always have a shield cos im the Earth boy in a keep and the PBAE hurts em enough... with a good healer ive manages a 5 count with MoC...

Not got the power off an Ice or Fire wizzy but that hybrid spec is good and fun.. Thinking of changing to full Ice tho as its not offten i find myself in a keep with enemys attacking....

I can only tlak from my play experiances tho

C

Chenuba

GTaoe just rox inside/outside keeps and when 2 zergs are having standoffs at xMGs.

A very underrated spell is th AE dam-snare, it really nice to see the enemies charging slow down and get easy targets for rest of the group.

Q

Qte Eth

no point in fire wizzys at all, either go ice or make other class
air/earth theurg and body /mind sorc both have 209 dd instead of 219 dd of fire wiz ,but giv muuuuch more to grp

Z

-Ziro-

Ice wiz defo

dd cold debuff, dd snare, pbaoe and aoe dd heat debuff all in 1 spec line.

Fire gets oh so boring when you played it a while.

Havent tried earth but ice > fire, no doubt.

O

old.LandShark

Originally posted by Qte Eth
no point in fire wizzys at all, either go ice or make other class
air/earth theurg and body /mind sorc both have 209 dd instead of 219 dd of fire wiz ,but giv muuuuch more to grp

As a hib... don't you find you have high nature wardens more often than high nuture druids?
Just thinking of the resist buff difference...

Still, the lovely exinfer is lending me his icewiz so I can try it out, so, well, now I've just got to persuade wildfire to lend me his firewiz so I can compare :p

S

-Shaz-

I miss being like one of 3 ice wizzies on the whole server :|

Trend people go away fs! :d

J

Jiggs

as far as i can remeber Aoe was the original ice boy :D

H

hercules-df

I almost made a fire wiz but realised they aint much good for rps CONSIDERING ALBIONS "tactics??????"
The bolts never hit since everyones meleeing, noone ever seems to protect any casters, too busy zerging, the dds are nice but how eften do fire wizzys get to cast them, ice wizzys pbaoe isnt insta and not gonna stay alive long without a healer sexying them up bigtime, I decided to go earth (when i get him to 40 of course ) since GTAOE works throough walls/doors/trees etc. sounds the sexiest for keep raids and defence, maybe a bit useless in out in the open rvr but then again what class isnt in albion?, earths have a nice aoe root and quite a nasty dot. bolt is quite good, but think about a few gtaoe wizzys in lord room or far behind a keep door while its being attacked, gtaoe range is the same as a DD not the teeny range of pbaoe, the only thing an earth wizzy has to worry about is remembering all the coords for doors etc, :) or some filthy SB. cant wait to get behind a keep door and rape some DIRTY STINKING MIDS!

Earth Wiz - portable seige weapon :D

S

-Shaz-

Originally posted by Jiggs
as far as i can remeber Aoe was the original ice boy :D

Nop Nop Nop

Stek was by far

Even i rolled before Aoe

O

old.Zoyster

People that hate Bolts......arent playing their char to the max !

O

old.LandShark

Ye ickle Stekeltje was the first, or at least real close to the first :p

Odium: Albion needs more PBAE, it's hardly a trend thing because tbh icewizards look shite on paper. All wizards do. :p

S

-Shaz-

I was kidding :p

Now get more ice wizzies and groupeth with me :p

O

old.LandShark

Going to be levelling as a quartet hopefully, rejuv cleric matter caba and two icewizzies. Should be a laff =)

Users who are viewing this thread