Help Wireless something.. I dont understand

russell

FH is my second home
Oh Help. Been on the phone to Virgin as our internet connection failed and we tried to re- connect to it and it said it didnt recognise our password.

Fuckity fuck fuck- I wish I understood computers.

Basically we re -set our password and connected the yellow lead thingy from the router to the laptop and it worked.

But the connection goes again when the lead is taken out.

The Virgin man said 'the wireless adadpter on the laptop is not working. We cant help you. Goodbye'.

Toshiba laptop is older than a year- and we are poor - Is it really expensive to fix? Any advice from the clever people in the know about laptops?

Kryten

Old Cow.
Wireless adapters don't tend to just stop working, so on the positive side I can't imagine you'll need to be replacing anything just yet.

To start with, is it a USB wireless adapter in your laptop or is it built in?

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
try in "network connections" to see if the wireless connection is "ENABLED"

if not right click on Wireless network connection icon, then you left click on ENABLE

OR

your laptop may have a key to press to turn the wireless on, the writing is normally in BLUE as you have to press the FUNCTION key AND the key with the wireless symbol on it.

OR

you could have a little SWITCH to turn the wireless on

what's the model of your lappy

nath

Fledgling Freddie
ZOMG WRONG FORUM BAN FFS MODS!

Ahem.

Do you have any other devices that connect to your wireless router? If so, are they working? If not, are you able to get a friend round with a laptop to try?

What brand is the wireless router? How much do you know about accessing wireless networks from your laptop - are you fairly comfortable with viewing/connecting or do you need help with that?

What version of windows Vista or XP?

russell

FH is my second home
Oh sorry if Ive posted this in the wrong forum- was having a bit of a moment. Should it have been in the technical bit? Thanks Dorbc, Kryt and Nath. Did what you said and it seems to be working ok now. Big snogs x

nath

Fledgling Freddie
When you say "did what you said" what exactly did you do? Was it the little wireless switch on the laptop? :)

russell

FH is my second home
No! I am crap with computers -but not that crap.

I went into network connections and had a fiddle around:)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I have moved this to Techie forums even though you have sorted the problem I thought the daylight fearing nerds in there would love to be able to help a lady. Having said that the main ones have already fixed your problem.......

.......*runs from Nath*

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Oi, I don't fear the daylight... we've just come to a mutual agreement that we're going to see other people.

sayward

Resident Freddy
At least it's not just me that has problems. Can anyone tell me how old is a laptop to be too old? Having dreadful trouble logging on.

Thinking of changing from BT internet to Sky. Any opinions out there?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
You'd need a *very* old laptop to have significant problems getting on the wireless. What's your current laptop and wireless device?

sayward

Resident Freddy
Dell Inspiron 5150 at least 5 years old. Router is BT Voyager 2000. Were also hoping to save a few pounds by changing to Sky.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
What specifically is the problem you're having with the Dell? Are you able to get on to the wireless at all?

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
wo, wo, wo...

lets back up a few posts, a lady?? on the internet???

in other news, i like to stick to the internet service provider internet service providers

often with bundled packages you can get a less than stellar package, but some of these cable people are starting to look attractive, with their crazy bandwidth and all

the best advice with something like an ISP, as you can't really try before you buy, is to get on google and read as much as is possible, until you run out or get bored

the more complaints, the more likely you are to get bummed. also, don't go with one of the plusnet family, they managed to email all of my details to about a million people

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
No! I am crap with computers -but not that crap.

I went into network connections and had a fiddle around:)

if my "bits" werent working, can you come round and "fiddle" with them for me ? :sex:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom