Wireless Network Set-up... The Noob continues :)

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Righto , my main PC is connected to the web via Router connection, has a wireless card in it as well - what I want to do is get my second PC which is in another room to connect to the web via my main PC. Both have Wireless cards in - I am sure I have had it up and running using my Laptop but as usual a mate set it up, so I havent the foggiest where to start - basically how do I go about getting the 2nd pc to connect to the web via the main pc's connection ?

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
So your main comp has wired connection to router and that router doesn't support WLAN?

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Not directly - I used to have my Laptop connect via its wireless to the computer that was wired to the Router - the computer thats wired also has a wireless card in it.

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Bridge the two connections (wireless and lan). Should work fine.

Alternatively to that, try ICS (Internet connection sharing)

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Just tried bridging it before I go to bed - I knew there was a problem somewhere :) - when I bridge them it creates a bridge, but then my connection to the web drops completely.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
evzy said:
Just tried bridging it before I go to bed - I knew there was a problem somewhere :) - when I bridge them it creates a bridge, but then my connection to the web drops completely.

Only way i see if u got Main Pc connected wired to Router and Notebook connected via Wireless to Main Pc is to enable ICS on the wired card on the Network Neibourghood (sp :s) properties.

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
Why not just buy a wireless router? Seeing as everything has wireless cards :) You can get them for as little as £35 these days!

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Gahn said:
Only way i see if u got Main Pc connected wired to Router and Notebook connected via Wireless to Main Pc is to enable ICS on the wired card on the Network Neibourghood (sp :s) properties.

Where do I find it exactly - right click properties on Network Places go from there?
When I click on any of the connections LAN / Wireless etc - cant find an ICS option.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
evzy said:
Where do I find it exactly - right click properties on Network Places go from there?
When I click on any of the connections LAN / Wireless etc - cant find an ICS option.

Aye right click properties of the wired card connection then last tab should be advanced and there u find ICS, bare in mind that this kind of setup "transforms" your PC in a DHCP server so u'll have to set the wireless card to automatically acquire IP address etc (on notebook that it)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Hit your PC tower case with one of your speakers. Usually does the trick for me ;p

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
evzy said:
Righto , my main PC is connected to the web via Router connection, has a wireless card in it as well - what I want to do is get my second PC which is in another room to connect to the web via my main PC. Both have Wireless cards in - I am sure I have had it up and running using my Laptop but as usual a mate set it up, so I havent the foggiest where to start - basically how do I go about getting the 2nd pc to connect to the web via the main pc's connection ?

buy a better wireless router.. i hate internet connection sharing with a passion.. i would rather go downon the Hoff...

:m00:

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Tried ICS and no joy there either, thing is this used to work fine on my old PC setup, but since I rebuilt my main PC it has never worked - my mate who set it up originally hasn't been able to figure it out (methinks he maybe has bodged the wireless card in my main pc or something..) Knowing it used to work fine I dont want to have to go and buy a wireless network if I can getting it working without having to - everything else is wired into the router except 1 PC in another room which I would've liked connected as it used to be..

I am teh lost :(

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
evzy said:
Tried ICS and no joy there either, thing is this used to work fine on my old PC setup, but since I rebuilt my main PC it has never worked - my mate who set it up originally hasn't been able to figure it out (methinks he maybe has bodged the wireless card in my main pc or something..) Knowing it used to work fine I dont want to have to go and buy a wireless network if I can getting it working without having to - everything else is wired into the router except 1 PC in another room which I would've liked connected as it used to be..

I am teh lost :(

in the end you will get so pissed off with trying to find how such a "simple" thing is not working that you will buy a wireless router anyway.

bite the bulet and buy one, you can find some pretty cheap ones on ebay.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
I can't give in..its not in my nature* !!

*well.. til I cba to buy a wireless network...but then I would have to set that up anyways and I have no faith in them considering I can't get one working atm.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
evzy said:
I can't give in..its not in my nature* !!

*well.. til I cba to buy a wireless network...but then I would have to set that up anyways and I have no faith in them considering I can't get one working atm.

good luck let me know what wireles router you buy..

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Buy a wireless router. Prefer with WPA encryption, alot easier to get the encyption key correct, than the WEP string of alphanumeric characters.

Change Admin password.

When you start off connect on a fixed channel. Don't set wireless router on floating channels.

When you start do not set any encryption. Get it to connect 1st without all of the security crap you are going to switch on later.

Also make sure the laptop is in the same room as the fixed pc and wireless router, otherwise you will be doing a lot of running backwards and forwards.

Remember to add the mac address of the pc that is trying to connect to the wireless router in the list of acceptable mac addresses on the wireless router.

/ipconfig all in dos window will provide the mac address on the wireless pc.

Set up WPA on encryption on router and switch on WPA encryption on wireless pc (Make sure you get the WPA key correct).

Once connection through to internet on from wireless router.

Switch on Hide SSID on wireless router.

At every change. Its worth a reboot on wireless pc and you record what you changed. Then connect to internet.

Good luck.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Something I just thought - on my old PC when I booted up the Wireless connection would already be open so I could access the connection from a PC downstairs straight away...however on the new PC I have - I have never seen the wireless connection open - its always off - got me thinking - I wonder if my mate has even set it up on the new one - could this be my main problem - so the other wireless PC cant even find it due to it not even being there? How can I check / set up a new connection via the wireless that shares the plugged in connection - bearing in mind when I have tried to Bridge it - it just kills the connection - is this because it needs setting up first?

(still determined to sort it out!)

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
This is all I want to do :(
This is what I am trying to do basically - but..on the configuring the host computer - I cannot find a Computer to computer (ad hoc) networks only bit on the advanced tab it tells you to go to - there is no Comp to Comp option..

What am I doing wrong / need to do?

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Hmm well I followed that - managed to set up a ad hoc , got the 2 pc's talking and wireless was up and connected...only problem - it killed my connection to the internet stone dead... and now I have no fucking clue :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom