Wireless Network Problem

Gamah

Banned
Hello,

I just moved into my house and I am using a Belkin Wireless Router onto ADSL with a Belkin Wireless Receiver on the computer.

Everything is fine normally and I get a Excellent signal with no troubles whilst surfing.

However when I play daoc every now and then the signal drops and disconnects me from the network.

This only happens when I am playing Daoc.

Any Ideas?

Using Windows XP etc.

Mas

One of Freddy's beloved
Hmm aye i use a belkin wireless newtwork card with a linksys wrt54gs wireless router, get the same probs here to. Duel loggin is a right pain. Sometimes its fine all night and other times its ld city. Rest of internet works after daoc ld's but when i log back in its ld all over again.

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Is DAOC the only online game you play ?

What I mean is, is this the only game where a constant internet traffic is required.

Also have you got "Show network" connection switched on, for your task bar. You may be dropping a connection but not seeing it visually.

So for example you may be browsing dropping the connection briefly then restablishing it, but because its a web page, the web page may just appear to load slightly slower.

You imply you have moved house. So I "ASS"ume that it worked fine before. Were you in a heavy wireless network zone before. So when you search for new networks, you have less or more than before.

If you are in a new house, then your route to DAOC may have changed and you may be experiencing lost packets of data. Which when websurfing not matter. but for online gaming, cause you to LD.

Are you sharing your connection with anyone (I assume you have WPA encryption switched on), so no one else is "Sharing" your connection.

Gamah

Banned
Is DAOC the only online game you play ?

What I mean is, is this the only game where a constant internet traffic is required.

Also have you got "Show network" connection switched on, for your task bar. You may be dropping a connection but not seeing it visually.

So for example you may be browsing dropping the connection briefly then restablishing it, but because its a web page, the web page may just appear to load slightly slower.

You imply you have moved house. So I "ASS"ume that it worked fine before. Were you in a heavy wireless network zone before. So when you search for new networks, you have less or more than before.

If you are in a new house, then your route to DAOC may have changed and you may be experiencing lost packets of data. Which when websurfing not matter. but for online gaming, cause you to LD.

Are you sharing your connection with anyone (I assume you have WPA encryption switched on), so no one else is "Sharing" your connection.

Well I was hijacking someone elses unsecured network in my old room :p (Norty me) but had no problems..the belkin wireless signal drops (the icon goes red for no signal) when I exit doac again it goes back green again. I play online poker and have the problems (that requires a constant stream of info)

I have WPA set up yes, the only other person that uses it is my girlfriend on her laptop.

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Ok,

So you were using an unsecured line previously which had no encryption and was basically open. Ok then its unlikely you would have any problems with any connections in that instance.

As per usual its not DAOC thats the problem its your internal network.

This would indicate the setup of your wireless router is not correct. Since you didn't have a problem using someone elses, but now have a problem using one you have setup (user error ;) ).

One of the problems I have experienced in the past with my Belkin router was when I had it originally setup to pick the "Best" channel available in the surrounding atomosphere. Now I thought ahhhh that will be ideal, if a channel is being used, then swap to another..... Big mistake, it was ropey as fuck. I can theorise why it didn't work, but not my favourite subject.

Ok.

1. Set your wireless router to a specific channel to work from. Don't use the roaming ability. Pick a channel, not the end 1 or 11, may 9, 10, 3,4. Whatever the default channel was make sure you don't use it.

2. Play a couple of nights with no encryption running and broadcasting your Channel ID.

If ok then ...
3. Switch on Encryption and play for a couple more nights.

If Ok then ...
4. Stop broadcasting you channel.

Let me know how you get on. The problems you are experiencing are the same as what I had with Wifes computer. Obviously not mine, since I hard wire mine into router. But wifes is by backup DAOC machine, therefore must be ready to go incase of my PC failing ;)

Gamah

Banned
I know quite a bit about wireless networks but have never seen this.

I will try what you suggested however I can't unsecure my network due to some of the information I transfer over my connection ;).

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I remember the trouble i had with wireless networks. My issue was the signal dropped for a split second every 10 minutes or so. With webpages you dont notice it but you mentioned poker being ok?

Cosmos helped me on my troubles, but in the end i hard wired.

hemorragie

Fledgling Freddie
Used to have more or less the same issue.
I fixed it by switching from a WAP to a WEP encryption.
That did it for me.

uron

Loyal Freddie
yea i have this problem aswell, belkin router and card, n00b question but how do i go about changing the channel?

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
yea i have this problem aswell, belkin router and card, n00b question but how do i go about changing the channel?

Okay.

1. Do you know how to log onto your router ?

If yes, then log on and go into the wireless settings tab on the look for a drop down box in the section. It will have number in it from 1 - 11 I think. Now remember that what options / interface I have may well be different to yours. But I went for fixed channels and it sorted out my connection issues.

IF YOUR WIRELESS WORKS, DONT CHANGE IT UNLESS IT IS TO ADD ENCRYPTION.

Now if you change that channel no. I think you have to change you wireless device to that channel as well.

If no, log on immediately and set a nother admin password. Since it also implies you have setup no security on your wireless network and people like Gamah are hovering up your bandwidth ;)

Of course your belkin may have asked you when you bought it to set up the security. Things on the wireless setup have improved over the last couple of years. It may be you have set it up correctly already. Hard to say.

(Next weeks lesson will be port forwarding)

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
II will try what you suggested however I can't unsecure my network due to some of the information I transfer over my connection ;).

If you are VPNing into work, then data is already encrypted using the Token number + personal number you entered when you established the initial VPN connection. WPA is merely encrypting something that is already encrypted via the VPN (That is my understanding).

Gamah

Banned
If you are VPNing into work, then data is already encrypted using the Token number + personal number you entered when you established the initial VPN connection. WPA is merely encrypting something that is already encrypted via the VPN (That is my understanding).

More like I do a lot of internet shopping and banking and would rather not send my bank login details and card details over an unsecured connection. I know the risk of interception is low but in an area with 8 other wireless netoworks (the ones I can see) I would rather not chance it.

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Understandable. Though worth remembering thats why those webpages would have SSL on and your data is encypted.

You would require a password/account code sniffer on your PC. But multiple levels of security are always wise.

tollstore

Fledgling Freddie
One thing I would try before anything and is always what I advise customers to try first.

Go into the router change the channel -- Generally 7 and 11 tend to be the most stable.

As silly and as basic this sounds it has resolved many of my customers problems with connection dropping.

Might not work but it is worth a try.

Gamah

Banned
Thanks for the help guys, i'll let you knwo how it goes!

Gamah

Banned
Wee changed to channel 7 and now having no problems :)

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Lets see how it goes for a week and then celebrate. Wireless networks are the work of the Devil ... its official.

Gamah

Banned
Yeah doing the same thing again :twak:

Can stream music for hours, do big downloads..nps ..when daoc runs it does it :|

Gamah

Banned
Tried the usual update drivers thing.. i'll let you know!

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
I hope this helps.

WIRELESS SETTINGS

Current Channel > 11
SSID > DAOC
Wireless Mode > 802.11g Only
Broadcast SSID > yes
Protected Mode > On

QoS Configuration

ACK Mode > Immediate ACK
802.11e QoS > On

SECURITY
Security Mode > WPA-PSK (no server)
Encryption Technique > TKIP
Obscure PSK > Yes

I have one program my wife likes to use, or did until I banned it from the network ... picasso from Google, that would force me to reboot the router, when ever it tried to upload any photos.

Gamah

Banned
Solved the problem...

I turned on the WCZ service and let windows manage my wireless connection rather than the Belkin app..and been running for 3 hours with no disconnects.

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Since its working fine i'm just adding this for sake of anyone else. In most EU countries its legal for us to use an extra two channels that they cant in the US. So normally these are disabled on the router unless you can change your location setting or whatever. If you can use Channel 12 and 13 they are generally less congested and may help.

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Solved the problem...

I turned on the WCZ service and let windows manage my wireless connection rather than the Belkin app..and been running for 3 hours with no disconnects.

With WPA I used the microsoft control settings. Sorry I didnt mention that.

With the Vista and some of the better wireless network card control drivers. They seem to manage the whole setting up wireless connections alot better than the old belkin software I used, which was a bit naff tbh.

Anyway very happy you have sorted it.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
More like I do a lot of internet shopping and banking and would rather not send my bank login details and card details over an unsecured connection. I know the risk of interception is low but in an area with 8 other wireless netoworks (the ones I can see) I would rather not chance it.

I do hope u only shop in https tho, so no real worry to have.

Gamah

Banned
I do hope u only shop in https tho, so no real worry to have.

Yeah I do, but also the fact anyone can log onto my network where I have shared printers and folders is not good practice :p They can also do anything on the internet and I would get boned for it.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Yeah I do, but also the fact anyone can log onto my network where I have shared printers and folders is not good practice :p They can also do anything on the internet and I would get boned for it.

Ofc!

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie

Shared folders should have passwords on them if an unsecured network..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom