Wireless network cards help pls

J

jilson

I'm still in halls, with a bitch of a firewall which won't let me do shit. Someone suggested using a wireless network card, and dialing up to my own isp, bypassing the firewall would this be possible at all. Would i encounter any problems or was he talking shit :)
Thanks

M

Merl

Think he was talking shit. Even with a wireless network card u still need to be on the network and thus have to go through the firewall meaning u still wont be able to dial out. Only way toget around it is patch your computer right into the internet i.e. plug it directly into a phone line and dont go through the network.

Firewalls on networks are a bitch unless u have admin rights and configure it etc, there aint alot u can do toget around them as far as i know :(

N

Naewae

Pretty easy to get through the firewall I think. Find out what port DAoC uses (it's bound to be in some tech doc somewhere) and ask your administrator to open it on the firewall.

Buy him a pint or something :)

M

Merl

Originally posted by Naewae
Pretty easy to get through the firewall I think. Find out what port DAoC uses (it's bound to be in some tech doc somewhere) and ask your administrator to open it on the firewall.

Buy him a pint or something :)

ah yes bribery i forgot about that ;)

But i think camelot may use more than 1 port and very often system admins are reluctant to open unecessary ports, for "security purposes". Allthough if u could get them to do it then yeh it would work.

H

Hit ^_^

im not 100% sure this is all the ports its using
but the ones i found sofar is
10500-10504
probebly uses more ports but as it seems that the firewall my network is using has blocked all ports but 8080 and icq one i cant do shit atm :(

G

Galiryn

use some firewall-goawaynow!-program or something

Users who are viewing this thread