Wireless network adapter

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Hi, I would like some help please :)
Ok so basically I have a router in a room downstairs and a desktop pc in a far corner of a room upstairs that gets used for gaming. It's too far for a cable, and the crappy wireless usb network adapter I have is far too temperamental for it to be useful for more than web browsing.
I need a way of getting a good stable connection to this computer so I can play games on it. It's too far and awkward to stretch a cable up the stairs or start drilling through the floors/ceilings so it needs to be wireless. Also I can't move the router or the pc really.
So any recommendations on wireless network adapters or similar things?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I would go for the Devolo AV ones. They do not require you to be on the same power circuit and can handle Voip and HDTV much better than the previous standards. Devolo seem to be the "kings" in powerline adaptors

devolo dLAN 200 AVeasy Starter Kit - Eth/ Eth: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I think there is a new standard AV2 coming out soon as well which is supposedly a lot better. I think it's in 2011 they will be selling so prob not worth waiting!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug_Powerline_Alliance

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
My mate has these powerline adaptors and I've tried them in my own place and at my folks' place as we all had the same issues with wireless (generally no use for HD streaming and connection issues). I can highly recommend them as a solution.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Awesome, cheers guys. I had heard of powerline adapters but didn't know anything about them.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Powerline even at 85Mbps is adequate for most needs, including gaming. I have a crazy set up where the downstairs router connects via powerline to a WAP in the loft, works absolutely fine.

If you do resort to wireless, I'd advise using a bridge rather than an adapter on the PC.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
If you really want to go wireless rather than powerline then I'd recommend netgear Rangemax Wireless N gigabit routers; I use mine with games and HD streaming without issue; the only criticisism is they don't always play nice with slower (wireless_G) kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom