Wireless ADSL ModemRouter

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I recently purchased a Linksys WAG54G V2 ADSL2 VPN Wireless Router, I have set everything up and I get a connection speed of 70% which is fine.

However when using the internet I noticed the signal cuts out every 30 minutes (not exactly 30 minutes but about that time), the signal tells me its disconnected...about 3 seconds later the signal comes back...as im trying to download the windows service pack it always stops before the download is complete, i mainly bought the machine for Gaming so as you can imagine, getting kicked off the internet every 30 minutes kinda causes a few problems :(

Things that may help you ascertain whats going wrong:-
1) i only have the default firmware which came with the cd, i was unable to find a version on this site as i heard the firmware is no longer supported for this model.

2) when i setup the adsl modem it asked me about "Keep alive" meaning the signal was always on, there is a redial count of 20 seconds, (should i lower this?).

If its any help im using pppoa(sp?)

kk i copied the email i sent them, but anyone got any clues?

MaCaBr3

Banned
Ur keep alive is set to 20seconds, meaning that ur router will check if have a PPP connection every 20 seconds. If you disconnect every 30 min, there must be a problem somewhere else.

Are u sure u selected Keep-alive instead of Dial on Demand?

Anyway every router has an eventlog, check in the log why I disconnects.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
yeah i made 100% sure of the Keep Alive setting, what if i lowered the 20 seconds to 10?

The only thing i can think is the heat, im gonna try putting it vertical tonight...thanks for the info, i will try and find teh error logs

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
I recently purchased a Linksys WAG54G V2 ADSL2 VPN Wireless Router, I have set everything up and I get a connection speed of 70% which is fine.

However when using the internet I noticed the signal cuts out every 30 minutes (not exactly 30 minutes but about that time), the signal tells me its disconnected...about 3 seconds later the signal comes back...as im trying to download the windows service pack it always stops before the download is complete, i mainly bought the machine for Gaming so as you can imagine, getting kicked off the internet every 30 minutes kinda causes a few problems :(

Things that may help you ascertain whats going wrong:-
1) i only have the default firmware which came with the cd, i was unable to find a version on this site as i heard the firmware is no longer supported for this model.

2) when i setup the adsl modem it asked me about "Keep alive" meaning the signal was always on, there is a redial count of 20 seconds, (should i lower this?).

If its any help im using pppoa(sp?)

kk i copied the email i sent them, but anyone got any clues?

what wireless network card are you using intel one? or linksys one? try switching the linksys router to mixed mode 802.11a and 802.11g compatibility or switch mixed mode off.

If you lose connectivity every 30 minutes it could be another device using 2.4ghz causing electromagnetic interferance.

:m00:

Bahumat

FH is my second home
im using a linksys receiver card.

hmm this modem seems to be a knightmare to fix, i'll sooner get a cure for diabetes than get this piece of shit working.

not only do you have to goto the darkest dirtiest part of the internet to find some firmware (none on the official site) you get to speak to filipino's on their helpdesk who are as useful as chocolate kettles.

If people who type things that i cant understand yet still have problems i fear im never gonna get this working.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
according to this handy object i dont need wireless networking. i can just plug it into the power supply and use it as a phone access point

http://www.withandwithoutwires.com/default.aspx
Devolo Wire Free MicroLink® Networking dLAN® Additional Adapter
Online Price: £54.99
Normal Price: £64.99

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
according to this handy object i dont need wireless networking. i can just plug it into the power supply and use it as a phone access point

http://www.withandwithoutwires.com/default.aspx
Devolo Wire Free MicroLink® Networking dLAN® Additional Adapter
Online Price: £54.99
Normal Price: £64.99

I thought of using one of these but it depends how good your wiring is in your house. give it a go and see what its like, i would be interested to see the resileance and latency

dont forget you need two of the adapters so it will double your price.

:m00:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom