Advice Winter Clothes

Fweddy

FH is my second home
It's getting cold out side now and as I want to keep up with my wildlife photography through the winter I'm going to need some warmer clothes. I want to be able to sit around fairly motionless for a few hours at a time without freezing so obviously I need warmer stuff then if I was walking about or doing anything active. Trouble is I'm not sure how much warmer I'd likely need.

Any ideas Freddys? A jacket and boots/anything to keep my feet warm are probably my first priorities so any suggestions on brands/shops would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Chilly

Balls of steel
Puffer jackets are the daddy. Feet is more problematic. Even with the best socks and boots in the world, your feet will chill down if you dont keep blood moving. I guess you do as best you can with socks and boots and then just try to keep them moving as best you can without being rumbled.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I have not owned a coat since 2007. Only purchased that one due to a snow storm in Dallas. Not worn one since a week after that. Enjoy your foul cold weather, I'll be sat on the beach with a BBQ this weekend :)

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Yeah, it's the not moving around that's the trouble. I have decent quality winter clothes that keep me toasty walking around in any temperature I'm likely to see in a British winter but they won't cut it for sitting around outside for half a day when it gets colder. Even with a couple of jumpers on underneath I'll end up chilled to the bone after a couple of hours. I suspect I need something designed for colder winters than ours but I don't really know how much colder. Basically the question I'm trying to ask is would a jacket designed for walking around in at -40c be comfortable for sitting around in at 0c?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
...wildlife photography dogging. Don't try and make it sound all fancy.

dlyan

Can't get enough of FH
Buffalo special 6 smock.i've had 1 for years now and really is the dogs balls.they do a full zip belay jacket as well so really down to personal choice of wanting a jacket or head over smock.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Thick socks, warm headgear, thick gloves, rum. <--Survives waiting for a bus for 30 minutes in Finnish winter weather.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
As someone who stands around in Scottish winters doing photography, I can answer your question with confidence.

Wearing multiple jumpers is not the answer, down filled insulation is the best way to keep warm. I usually wear a ski base layer (Icebreakers are toasty) to keep any sweat in check, a windproof fleece mid layer and then either one of two jackets:

- North Face Vostok Parka (down filled, waterproof) but appears to be discontinued

1224062_fpx.tif

- Canada Goose Chilliwack Bomber

image1xl.jpg

I pick the North Face one where rain, sleet or snow may be an issue as that is 100% waterproof where as the Canada Goose is water resistant and not designed for rain. It's designed for arid, subzero Canadian winters and is noticeably warmer than the North Face jacket. The do a range of jackets including the infamous Expedition Parka which is standard issue in Antarctica and will keep you warm down to -40c.

There are other options out there by other manufacturers (Berghaus, Mountain Equipment, Montane etc.), but ultimately your outer jacket needs to be windproof with plenty down insulation (Primaloft is an alternative, but I won't go into it here). Putting the hood up on a down filled jacket makes it a very cosy place to be.

That Montane jacket reviews well:

I'd worn this jacket casually for a few weeks after getting it, and it was cosy and warm. It's first real test was on a two day trek high in the Cairngorm mountains in Scotland, with an overnight stay in a snow-hole. It proved to be up to the challenge, offering warmth in sub-zero arctic-like conditions. The jacket is a nice fit and not too heavy, and importantly I didn't overheat while on the move. I particularly like the strategically placed re-inforced material sections that protect the jacket from wear and tear from rucksacks. I also liked the deep pockets and removeable hood facility. A top quality performance jacket that's good value for money and worth every penny.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I have a down-filled water proof jacket branded by Hilfiger. Bought it from Selfridges. Very toasty

Last edited:

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
When I go to football games in the snow I usually stuff my Snow boots with these one I know I am going to be staying in one place for a while:

Heat%20Treat%20Hand%20Warmers%20at%20REI.jpg

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Good thermals, layers made for winter weather as they will regulate your temperature (not just layers of your normal clothes). I would really invest in a good coat and you can buy foot warmers which heat when put in your boots. 2 years ago I was at a team building event in Borlänge it was -25 and by dressing appropriately the cold wasn't an issue. The only odd thing is how my nostrils stuck together when i breathed, but I'm not sure you will be that cold (happens to me around -15).

Tom

I am a FH squatter
canada-goose-364.jpg

I use a Canada Goose Expedition Parka (identical to the image above) while working outside. For instance, last night I was filming the Rugby at Bristol and was stood in the same spot for about 100 minutes. My previous combinations of fleece-coat would have seen me freezing cold after an hour, but the Canada Goose is like a portable oven.

Trouble is, it's £750. So you have to decide how much you want to spend. And it isn't waterproof. And the moment you get any sort of minor stain on it, you'll be unbelievably pissed off.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Thanks guys, this is all really helpful. It's going to take me some time to research all your suggestions!

I'm not too bothered about waterproofing since most animals have the sense to seek cover if it's pissing it down but I'm fairly sure I don't want to be spending £750 on a coat unless I absolutely have to.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Humdidum, -15 few nights ago. Stop overcompensating with your overburdened fluffy jackets! The real Cold is not even herr.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Autocorrect f*ckphone. Here (herr) in Bollnäs. Middle of Gävleborgs län.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You have a Borg LAN near you? Scary shit Or a place called Hammer town!?

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Gavle borg lan translates roughly to Middle Castle\Fort district.

Those Borgs roaming the woods are scary as hell. Their lan's are proper shite though. Want to play the same game all night and youd better keep up..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom