Wing Commander 2014?

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Finally a new space sim!! Privateer and Wing Commander were some of my favorite games.
A X-Wing/TIE remake next please :)

rynnor

Rockhound
Shame its crowdsourced - thats for sucker investors buying vapourware.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
if you need a wing commander fix while you wait try: http://wcsaga.com/

played it through and it is incredibly fun, no need for joystick either (though im told that makes it easier) - i played on normal mode with mouse

theres a thread about it in this section somewhere...

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Great graphics. Impressive if they really are in-game rendered without cheating.

Finally a new space sim!! Privateer and Wing Commander were some of my favorite games.
A X-Wing/TIE remake next please :)

If anyone ever does X-Wing they really need to make it just as hard as nails as the original or it will be fail. These days, games are aimed at the dribbling masses that want easymodes. I don't consider myself 'hardcore' but I like some challenge.

opticle

Part of the furniture
I fucking loved X-Wing :)

So much fun, and so satisfying completing hard-ass missions and having the promotion ceremony ^^

Good multiplayer too. Why isn't there another game like this out already ?

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Good multiplayer? You're thinking of x wing v tie fighter or at a push x wing alliance then yeh? X wing itself had no multiplayer iirc.

+also: tie fighter the sequel > x wing in terms of gameplay. I think Firaxis should remake x wing :)

opticle

Part of the furniture
I remember playing X-Wing against my bro on a 2 PC LAN :) It definitely had something.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
GAthered 6mil, everything on the list is go. My pants couldn't be tighter.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've heard that it's going to be pay2win?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
They're saying it's not, no idea to be honest, just glad enough to see it possibly come out and possibly be excellent :p

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Now we just wait for the first alpha build we can "test" :D

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I've heard that it's going to be pay2win?

Depends if the pledged ships will be available on the official persistent multiplayer servers or not. How good those ships will be compared to the rest. How you acquire the ships and what not.

If the pledged ships are vastly more powerful then any other ship available but won't be accessible on the official servers then i couldn't care less.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Meh. You'll be able to buy better guns and better ships.

F2P is AIDS tbfh.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Meh. You'll be able to buy better guns and better ships.

F2P is AIDS tbfh.

It's only pay to win if those guns aren't available through playing and if the combat is based on gear not skill.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
F2P doesn't work if combat isn't based a lot on gear. What's the point in paying for better stuff if the stuff you pay for isn't better?

Even if the guns are available through playing (which they probably will be) it just means that we'll be robbed of being able to watch the game develop slowly. On day 0 there'll be people with fucking amazing equipment flying about - rather than us slowly running into people with cool stuff as the game develops over time.

I'm sure there's a F2P model that doesn't seriously compromise the experience in some way - but I can't think of it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Actually there's F2P models that don't mess the game up, take league of legends for example and in this case as said if the gear is lateral, not just +1 to damage, then it's a good f2p model. YOU might want to buy better gear that +1 and end all, but none of league of legends stuff helps you in the combat and it sells like hotcakes.

Even if they sell better guns with cash, it's really no different from xp boosters. Or they do some other stuff.

It's all about how it's done and that we don't know yet. Speculating that F2P = bad is never good ;)

Oh and, this isn't F2P anyway;

"To play Star Citizen you need only to buy the initial game. There will never be a monthly charge for usage. Some in-game items may be available as microtransactions, but we will NEVER sell anything that can’t be acquired through honest (and fun!) gameplay."

Had to check if there was a mention, now i don't know where you got that idea from :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
"To play Star Citizen you need only to buy the initial game. There will never be a monthly charge for usage. Some in-game items may be available as microtransactions, but we will NEVER sell anything that can’t be acquired through honest (and fun!) gameplay."

So, what you're saying is that it's not F2P yet it's still P2W?

Fuck. What a giant sack of wank :(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
How do you reckon it's pay to win? Do you know the items aren't simply cosmetic? XP boosters? Lateral items instead of power items?

Especially since they've said that it's not going to be pay to win.

Microtransactions are not pay to win ;)

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
They always say it's not going to be pay to win. Always.

An admission that a game is pay to win is like saying "please don't play this - it's gonna be shit".

And if you can't get more powerful lazers, bigger engines, faster ships etc. it's unlikely that people'll be buying them. XP Boosters, btw, are effectively P2W IMO.

In fact, XP in a game like this, unless it just gives you better titles (e.g. Commander>Dangerous>Elite) is shit. Just like Battlefield. Wank.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's clear you have no idea what you're talking about and you're just raging over -your own- speculation, not a particular brick wall my head feels comfortable against :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Last statement was a bit rude, but here's the facts;

They say it's not going to sell power items, we don't know otherwise.
They will have microtransactions, we don't know if they're cosmetic or what.
It won't be a F2P since it has a regular pricetag on it.

That's it, anything else is speculation and really bad speculation at that.

Even if i could argue game development with 4 legs to stand on 'till the milking cows come home :p

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Any purchasable advantage over others would be pay2win. Nobody in their right mind would release that sort of content though because it would be death.

Pay4shit would also be pretty pointless because nobody in their right mind would buy it. Maybe the odd decal here and there, or maybe some other vanity item, however the small amount of money generated would not cover the cost of any serious development, future non-expansion content. That's what Blizzard (regardless of whether you like WoW) do so well, content throughout the lifespan of an expansion that is paid for by subscription fees.

This free to play model just wreaks of shit games with no content between expansions to me. If people don't think a few quid a month is worth it for an MMO, or an MMO game model then they should look at the price of other entertainment. I pay around £9 a month for wow, I get at least 20-30 hours a month from that...30p an hour to be entertained...not bad imo

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Vanity items sell, league of legends and team fortress prove it pretty well. Guildwars also supported itself by expansions and now aided with the gemstore on 2.

F2P isn't necessarily bad, if it's done well it's actually better for players and the developers.

There are poor examples as well, no doubt, but that just applies to last line.

opticle

Part of the furniture
I don't play WoW purely because of the monthly subscription. I can't commit long term to a game like that because of my lifestyle. If I could pay a one off price and then buy expansions if I wanted, as and when I wanted, I would have bought it years ago.

As Toht says, if people love a game, vanity items, e.g. a badass looking space cruiser or decals, are definitely popular. However, I don't like it if those items are only unlocked through cash.

Tribes Vengeance has a good model - you can unlock things faster if you want, or take your time, and it doesn't give you a massive advantage - just an alternative way of playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom