Wine anyone?

• Thread starter old.Reverend Flatus
  • Start date
O

old.Reverend Flatus

Anyone used Wine?

I want to run dedicated servers for games such as Sin that are not available for Linux. I installed Wine and tested it by running a few simple applications like notepad and all seems fine. When I try and run the server - wine sin/sin.exe +set dedicated 1 +exec server.cfg I get an error message - Couldn't create dedicated server console. Does this mean Wine couldn't create a DOS style window like you'd get under Windows?

O

old.Reverend Flatus

Update...strangely enough it seems to run in graphics mode ok, well nearly ok - software rendering, no sound and in a window.

B

bids

Read that WINE is a real resource hog - is this the case Rev ?
Was thinking of trying it meself, but didn't want everything else to go snail - Apache / Samba / Oracle, etc.

What spec/Linux you running it on ?

O

old.Reverend Flatus

I don't know yet, only started playing with it today.
It's running on Mandrake 8 on a 1.2G Athlon with 256M and a Geforce something with an old Soundblaster 1024 live.

T

Testin da Cable

I don't use it. It's a truly wonderful bit of code tho [I've seen it in action]. Emulators [or indeed semi-emus ;)] aren't really my thing.

O

old.Reverend Flatus

Originally posted by testin_da_cable
I don't use it. It's a truly wonderful bit of code tho [I've seen it in action]. Emulators [or indeed semi-emus ;)] aren't really my thing.
Same here but I don't see how else I can run Windows only games...

S

ShockingAlberto

I play HL through it, but i don't use it for much else. It's deffinately a serious peice of coding though :)

O

old.Reverend Flatus

I haven't tried Half-life (I have the Linux dedicated server) but I expect I'll try some other Windows only games.
Anyway, back to my question...
When I try and run the server - wine sin/sin.exe +set dedicated 1 +exec server.cfg I get an error message - Couldn't create dedicated server console. Does this mean Wine couldn't create a DOS style window like you'd get under Windows?

S

ShockingAlberto

Proberbly.

What is the minimum OS for Sin? What i'm thinking is use --winver win3.1 (or whatever it is), so that it would assume you're in a dos terminal, and run the console in the linux terminal rather than in something created from wine. But maybe i'm just talking crap :/

O

old.Reverend Flatus

Oh ta, I'll try that when I'm sober...happy new year and all that stuff.

O

old.Reverend Flatus

I found out the message "Couldn't create dedicated server console" is coming from Sin not Wine by running strings on the Sin binary. I don't know how to fix it though.

S

ShockingAlberto

Tried WineX?
I think the URL is http://wine.codeweavers.net (or .com possably, or maybe .org). As far as i know, WineX has better games support, or possably directx support, or possably it's just better :/

O

old.Reverend Flatus

Thanks but I think that's the version I got, well the rpm is called codeweavers-wine-20011108-5.i386.rpm anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread