Windows XP SP3

Nate

FH is my second home
Anyone heard anything about this? Just saw on Click it'll be available at the end of April. It has all of the Security Updates since SP2 and includes some Vista features...is this going to fuck up the performance of XP so people don't notice the difference between the memory hogging Vista and the <3 XP?

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
Anyone heard anything about this? Just saw on Click it'll be available at the end of April. It has all of the Security Updates since SP2 and includes some Vista features...is this going to fuck up the performance of XP so people don't notice the difference between the memory hogging Vista and the <3 XP?

apparently not, i heard it has a 10% speed increase, dunno if its noticeable tho

Yaka

Part of the furniture
on the RTM (read the manual?) thignie me jigg just as stable a normal

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
its apparently a decent enough boost to XP while still beating Vista for system and games performance.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi nate

Yes, SP3 will be available to download tomorrow (April 29th). The full release schedule was previously mentioned elsewhere.

You're right, it includes all the major updates, plus some very minor new features. There's nothing substantial from Vista (i.e. no DirectX 10), it's mostly just minor compatability improvements, so most people won't even notice the changes (plus it doesn't make sense from Microsoft to slow down XP or back-port lots of features, although I guess Microsoft doesn't always make sense anyway :D).

As for the performance, there are some small improvements, but nothing incredible. I've used the beta version and it's nice and stable, and the RTM (released to manufacturing) version should only improve things.

Just one note, Microsoft recommend systems have at least SP1 and preferrably SP2 installed before running the SP3 update.

Kind regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom