Windows XP connect to internet on start up

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
How do you get Windows to connect to the internet automatically on start up? I always had my own computere set up this way so I never thought about it, but my friend has somehow switched this off and we can't figure out how to switch it back on again.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
how'd you mean mate? not dialup surely? I'm kinda thinking you mean that your doze box can't find it's default gateway and thus can't get outside your network?

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Sorry I should have said, it's just a PC with an ADSL Broadband connection. On my PC at home, where I am now, it just connects to the internet through the ADSL modem when Windows starts. I just wanted the same thing to happen at the above guy's house too so his virus scanner stays up to date and so on, he has it so it only connects to the internet when you actually go to a website or check emails and he never updates the virus stuff on his own because he doesn't know how to. He's disabled with brain damage and can't speak so I try and keep things as simple as possible, but every time a go around there there's a stack of Windows updates that need doing and the virus database needs updating because it can't update itself automatically because his computer isn't connected to the net when he switches it on.

I think now, looking at my own PC, he needs to have 'never dial a connection' set in internet options, which he doesn't have at the moment.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
aha I see. He's not on pay-per-use ADSL is he? because in that case it won't be "allways on" because he'll be billed for the minutes he uses it.

my mum has it like that, and that's why I know of it (ie since yesterday). Myself, the DSL is connected 24x7 and I never have to connect to anything because it's "just there"

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Nah, it's just that over here most bb providers give shitty USB modems which require dialing out - with a decent router obviously that's not necessary.

It's a bad idea mal, but try just creating a shortcut in startup and tick "connect automatically" in the dialup thing. I think.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks, I'll have to wait till I see him again on Friday now anyway. As far as I know he's on the same BTInternet thing I am; though I don't use a Speedtouch modem any more like him, I used to do and that always connected all the time the PC was on I think.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Right-click drag the connection from My Network Places to desktop, put it in the Startup folder in the Start Bar, hide it from the desktop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom