Rant Windows update

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Is it just me or does it turn itself back on, or install "critical" updates when its turned off regardless?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
MS can install updates it deems critical even if you have turned it off, the only way to be sure is to disable the Windows Update service...

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Why would you turn it off...?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Cos I want to install the updates and reboot my PC when I decide, not when MS wants to.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
You must still be on XP then.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
No I am not, Windows 7.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Win7 has done it occasionally for me, less than 5 times I reckon. Leave it on overnight downloading something, come back in the morning and find out it restarted about 2 minutes after I left it to install some critical update or other.

*grumble*

soze

I am a FH squatter
There are stories of M$ employees getting fired for updating server to the latest level as they run about 18 months behind. If no updates is good enough for them then its good enough for me.

Athan

Resident Freddy
Hmmm, I have Windows 7 set to check for updates, but do nothing else until I say so...

... and I use a Limited account 99.9% of the time ...

... and have never had any trouble with it deciding to install any update and reboot when I didn't say so.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
put it this way, would you want gates/ballmer to stick his magic wand up your arse while you sleep?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I've completely disabled mine. Last time I turned them on it disabled Microsoft Word & Excel. Keeps wanting to install the latest Internet Explorer & god knows how many "Critical Updates" (AKA Microsoft spyware). I was going to make a comment about "at least Apple doesn't try to butt-fuck you with shit", but then I remembered you can't do anything unless its iTunes compatible or been pre-approved by Apple. Suddenly Linux is looking interesting...

Cyradix

FH is my second home
In Windows 8 defender (security essentials) gets its updates from windows update, so if you disable it you won't get defender updates.
Luckily it complains every few days that it is out of date and you can just click the warning to do an update :)

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I always have my updates set to notify me before downloading. I don't remember any updates installing themselves without intervention while I've been on Win7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom