Windows update problem

D

doh_boy

Ok this is the problem I haven't updated my xp since sp1 and now I need 27 critical updates. The only problem being the windows update system doesn't seem to work for me.

Try (1) I fire up windows update select all 27 (total 35Mb I am on broadband so shouldn't take too long). I agree to the eula and the download/install box appears. At the top it says 'Preparing to download' for about 20 mins (I watched that black hawk down thingy on channel 5). Nothing happens.

Try (2) I decide to try on a smaller update so I pick 2 small updates (total 1.2Mb) and still the same happens.

This is really getting annoying :/

W

Wilier

I was going to suggest that you download the beta of SP2, but if you follow the links in Neowin , which takes you to Tech Connect they claim that the SP2 leak was a fake.

Ive searched Google, but the only SP2 results are all foreign, or no good.

D

doh_boy

Originally posted by xane
Have you tried going directly to www.windowsupdate.com ?

Are you using a genuine IE browser (not some AOL crap or non-IE) ?

Aye I went straight there the first time then all subsequent times through the link in my programs menu. I have I.E 6 :/

W

Will

I found it hung for me last night too. I think the site is getting rather hammered as most of the world tries to patch at the same time.

D

doh_boy

cool I thought that was the reason

One more reason for me to get off my lazy arse and sort my linux install out (was having trouble with my nivdia (official) drivers :).

I have a second linux-only machine now though \o/ I was thinking of getting a third (I was given two crappy pcs for nothing :D (p2 300 and p3 450 or something) as a firebox but there are no drivers for my (usb) adsl modem so nevermind :/

W

Will

ADSL modem with USB = teh lose

FreeBSD > Linux

Cliche > sentance structure

P

PR.

Originally posted by Will
I found it hung for me last night too. I think the site is getting rather hammered as most of the world tries to patch at the same time.

Its also getting hammered as the blaster worm also attempts to DoS the windows update site, to prevent updates

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by Will
ADSL modem with USB = teh lose

FreeBSD > Linux

Cliche > sentence structure

Correct spelling > spamming

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom