windows update failing

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Ok, I am getting frustrated with windows update. The latest two updates just fail to install -almost instantly. MSN Messenger fails to update with error code 1601.

I have removed msn antispyware beta, turned off the spybot immunizations, shut down avg and zonealarm but I still cant get the updates to work.

ONly thing thats changed since I last performed a windows update is that I am using a router now. Could this have anything to do with it? Cant find help on the msn install error code on the MS site either.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
1. Click START, and then click RUN.
2. In the OPEN box, Type msiexec /unreg, and then click OK
3. When this process is complete, click START, and then click RUN.
4. In the OPEN box, type msiexec /regserver, and then click OK.
5. Now install MSN 6.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys

Just a general point, but I hear Microsoft is changing 'Windows Update v5' to 'Microsoft Update v6'. I'm not sure if these changes have already happened or if they're happening now, but it may perhaps cause some trouble (I doubt it's the cause of this problem but you never know)?

Kind Regards

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Nope Laz. I still can't update messenger. Same error message.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Ch3tan

v6 of Microsoft Windows Update (not Microsoft Update, sorry :)) is available at http://update.microsoft.com/ Might be worth trying, just in case? If not, I'm unsure what to suggest, really (are you using an OEM or retail version of Windows?).

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. I've just read the new site has gone live and now offers a unified system for both Windows and Office patches and updates.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Sorted. The background itelligent transfer service was set to manual and not activating, had to set it to automatic. Cheers for the pointers guys.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Well done for sorting it, Ch3tan *bumps reputation*

Kind Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom