Windows surface pro 3 or MacBook Air?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
USB and/or wireless tethering is so easy nowadays it's probably not an issue (especially if it's a work device and they're paying).

Embattle

FH is my second home
Indeed since most the time you'll be carrying a phone, you could also consider a mifi type device as well.

Tilda

I have a Pro1 and am trying to convince myself that I don't really need to upgrade to a Pro3.

I have used a macair and a pro3 and the pro3 is such a nicer device. It is now insanely slim and so pretty to look at.
Its a no brainer in my book to get a Pro3.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
What about mobile connectivity? Do you dongle up or just not bother until you're near wireless...?
I have dongles for US, Turkey, Bahrain and Qatar around UAE all my meeting points have WiFi available.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I would love an i7 Pro 3 and the docking station for at work. One device and I could lose a Desktop, Laptop and Tablet. Just carry my iPhone and Surface.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Mac? No thanks! :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I have a Surface Pro 2 w/kbd and tbh I think that MS is getting things right with the Pro 3, especially the slightly bigger screen and the extra setting to the kick-stand. That said, the kbd is a must-have, and you cant put the surface on your lap with it, simple. With that it's likely better to get a decent laptop, unless the Pro 3 is vastly different to the '2.

Reasons for me: yes, it's light and powerful. no, you cant use it in comfort in something like a train. Im in trains 8+hrs / week. you can't put it on your lap with the kbd and be comfortable. Also, the Pro 2 doesn't allow 64bit VMs in it, using VirtualBox, or it didnt last time I tried it..

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
the Pro 2 doesn't allow 64bit VMs in it, using VirtualBox, or it didnt last time I tried it..

That would be a back to laptop deal-breaker for me tbh.

Tilda

If anybody is uncertain how note taking works, I'm happy to explain my system/video if wanted.
This is my system in brief for lectures/meetings etc;

Import powerpoint slides directly into Onenote
(With lecturers permission start recording what they say - directly into Onenote)
Use the pen to write directly onto the slides in Onenote.

Later I can click on my handwriting and hear what the lecturer was saying.
I can search all of my notes back to first year using recognition of writing in powerpoints, handwriting recognition and voice recognition of lecture recordings.

Tilda

So good I just upgraded to a Pro3.

Anybody want to buy a brand new Pro1 (MS replacement)?

soze

I am a FH squatter
So good I just upgraded to a Pro3.

Anybody want to buy a brand new Pro1 (MS replacement)?
What are you selling it for? I would love to play with one but looking online they still seem to go for OK money.

TdC

ooh ooh buy my pro2! I'll throw in the type keyboard!

Tilda

So this is the story,
I had one and it kept doing funny static shocks on me when charging from the back cover.
At the moment its shipped back to MS for a replacement.
Its a 128GB one. That said, once they receive it, they'll ship me another Pro 128GB which should be in perfect condition.

CeX offer £205 and sell for £300ish.
They seem to go for around £280 on a quick look at ebay.

I also have a good condition type keyboard that I'm happy to chuck in.

To avoid fee's on ebay, general uncertainty etc, how does £270 ex postage for the Pro and keyboard sound?

leggy

Probably Scottish
How new tilda? What's the condition like? I'm very interested.

Tilda

My Pro was just over a year old but for condition, screen protector since purchase etc.
The one they have shipped back to me today I will report on but should be good condition A+ or A.
Will let you know when it arrives (I assume either/both of you would want me to check it works before posting on so will open the packaging!!)

soze

I am a FH squatter
I will step out of the way here. I want to play with one but I am trying to be sensible :)

Tilda

@soze and @leggy have now received the Pro back in box from Microsoft, as-new condition, screen works fine, charging/shock problem is gone.
I'm keen to get rid, make me an offer!

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
@Tilda I am *possibly* interested if @leggy isn't so PM me if the sexy cow doesn't have it. I would also *possibly* be interested in @TdC 's but I reckon the fancy, rich mincer would want too much for that.

TdC

fancy rich mincer eh? the price just went up as I had to spend time reading your post. it's just business chum :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
This sounds mad, mainly because I am a dosser now, but I really want one for my daughter to paint on, I also fancy one to replace my laptop (I mainly browse and fanny about with phones on it) possibly but mainly for my daughter. The boy has been lost to the Xbox :(

Tilda

I've been using Manga on my Pro3 its really nice, the watercolour stuff is amazing!

TdC

This sounds mad, mainly because I am a dosser now, but I really want one for my daughter to paint on, I also fancy one to replace my laptop (I mainly browse and fanny about with phones on it) possibly but mainly for my daughter. The boy has been lost to the Xbox :(

PM Trembacon

soze

I am a FH squatter
I would like a surface but my budget is only around £200 so it will have to wait. Unless work buy me a 3 which is not very likely.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
So this is the story,
I had one and it kept doing funny static shocks on me when charging from the back cover.
At the moment its shipped back to MS for a replacement.
Its a 128GB one. That said, once they receive it, they'll ship me another Pro 128GB which should be in perfect condition.

CeX offer £205 and sell for £300ish.
They seem to go for around £280 on a quick look at ebay.

I also have a good condition type keyboard that I'm happy to chuck in.

To avoid fee's on ebay, general uncertainty etc, how does £270 ex postage for the Pro and keyboard sound?

I know this is a bit late now, but is this still available.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
Where's a decent place to get a Surface Pro 2, leaning towards that one as 3 as a bit too pricey for me but I looked on the microsoft store hoping to get Uni discount but they only do the Pro 3. Hell I guess even a Pro 1 would be suitable I just want to do similar things that @Tilda has mentioned, and it would be handy for travel/work. CCL I think have a decent price for a Pro1 but of course it's sold out :p

http://www.cclonline.com/product/15...-Intel-Core-i5-Windows-8-Pro-Tablet-/TAB0699/

Tilda

I'd guess ebay? The price difference isn't massive, and you could probably do without a keyboard if you could reach a student price Pro3 i3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom