Windows Server 2003 R2 - CAL licensing ?

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
Where or how do you enter CALs on a MS Windows 2003 R2 Server ?

With the SBS2003 (R1) it's "Server Managment Console(?)" -> "License" and then just enter the key of the CAL and activate it by internet or phone, simple.

Now with the R2 (without the SBS package) I got "System Control" -> "Licensing" it just lists a "Windows Server" license and I can happily add licenses in any amount I like, no question if I want to activate anything. Downside, it's all gone when the server reboots.
There's an option to change the licensing model, but with the warning that I can only change it once.

So before I screw that server, where do I enter those CAL codes? Or is it just that other licensing option ?

The Server just runs a MS SQL2005 database. Works fine, just a bit worried about the lack of entering key-codes etc.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
that's an SBS (Small Business Server)

got no problem getting a License on those. My Problem is a Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition (not SBS/Enterprise and whatever else there might be).

It's slightly different there.

What I found out so far is, there's no activation of those keys as there is with the SBS ones. MS "trusts" the User here, if you add more than you bought and they'll find out, you probably get sued to hell and back ... twice. :p

Set to "Per Server" license mode the amount of licenses entered stays, if set to "Per User/Device" it disappears on reboot.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
that's an SBS (Small Business Server)

got no problem getting a License on those. My Problem is a Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition (not SBS/Enterprise and whatever else there might be).

It's slightly different there.

What I found out so far is, there's no activation of those keys as there is with the SBS ones. MS "trusts" the User here, if you add more than you bought and they'll find out, you probably get sued to hell and back ... twice. :p

Set to "Per Server" license mode the amount of licenses entered stays, if set to "Per User/Device" it disappears on reboot.
It's been a while since i was a straight server admin, but pretty much always do per server license as client OS's have the CAL built into to their licence corporate license.
Having to input server cals would be a nightmare for us poor suckers who deal with 10,000+ connections :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom