windows + partitions

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
hi there

i reinstalled windows on one drive, the other drive is partitioned (and it had windows xp and before that 2k+xp multiboot). The problem is, i want to get rid of the partition on the now redundant windows drive.
in computer management ive gotten rid of 2 partitions but it wont let me merge the other 2; it says it cant remove it because its a system drive (but theres nowt system-esque on there)

how can i fix it? the boot file (from startup options in System > Startup + Recovery) has all 3 OSs in it (XP,XP and 2K) and i want rid!
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Control Panel
New window
Folders Options
New window
View

Check box. Show hidden files and folders.
Uncheck box. hide protected system files (recommended)
new window
Click ok.
Click ok.

Edit file X:/Boot.ini (X = main boot drive)
Make sure (very important) Boot.ini is on the drive you are useing to boot an OS on. If so, Edit it in Notepad. Remove 2 redundant OS lines.

Reboot, Retry to rejoin 2 partians.

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
Bob007 said:
Control Panel
New window
Folders Options
New window
View

Check box. Show hidden files and folders.
Uncheck box. hide protected system files (recommended)
new window
Click ok.
Click ok.

Edit file X:/Boot.ini (X = main boot drive)
Make sure (very important) Boot.ini is on the drive you are useing to boot an OS on. If so, Edit it in Notepad. Remove 2 redundant OS lines.

Reboot, Retry to rejoin 2 partians.

hi;

boot.ini (along with autoexec.bat and others) are on the 'other' drive; can i just move them all over without any problems?

Bob007

Prince Among Men
This creates a problem. What i would try.
Copy 2 files over and unplug 2nd drive, Check for boot. If its boots alls good. If not... replace drive 2 and reboot from there. Not sure it will work, Post if it do/don't.

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
hey again

i copied over the files and put the main drive as the first boot; it got to the OS selection screen, but when i chose the 'good' installation of windows, it rebooted (there was a little message underneath but it rebooted too quickly to read it)... what now :(

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
can you not boot from CD and REFORMAT the drive (do you need the info on there)?

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
then i wont be able to boot...

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
if you boot from CD, then reformat the drive into your bootable drive you will

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
sorry i didnt see the (do you need the info on there) in your first post.

yeah i need it!

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
This is exaactly the situation I was in after adding a new 2nd drive and installing XP on it - the BIOS will still use the NT bootloader from the original drive, so this is where XP installs BOOT.INI, NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM, and it's this drive/partition that has the XP boot sector installed.

You should be able to copy these files to the new disk (once you have convinced Explorer to display them :)), edit the copy of BOOT.INI to leave just this OS:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

(NB: This is the line that refers to your fresh XP install, with the disk number changed to 0, remember to change the 'default=' line too)

..then disconnect the original disk, set the new one as the IDE master and try a boot. If this works, reconnect the original disk as the IDE secondary et voila! you can do what you like with it.

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
phlash; tried that just now and it just reboots after POST...

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
rats :(

That sounds like the new drive/partition isn't marked as bootable, something you can fix with diskpart.exe (please read the help as you can easily trash things with said tool!)

HTH,
Phil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom