Windows Media Player

Argyle_Avendale

Fledgling Freddie
First of all, im terrible with computers, so any help you might give me, please do so in a way I will probably be able to understand :)

I just downloaded some DAoC movies, and some of them I cant watch ( the picture just isent there, although the music is ).

Im using the latest version of Windows Media Player, and i've been told I need some codec or so.

Where do I get the codec's needed? A link would be nice.

Also is there anything else I need?

Maybe I need another/a better media player instead of the windows one?

Thanks.

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
There isn't a lot of difference between movie players as they will all use the same codecs that are installed on your pc (I'm going to get burned for that sentence but ah well.)

So what you need is a good package of codecs.

I recommend The Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP)

Good luck!

Laddey

FH is my second home
DAoC Movies, pfft! Thats what they all say.

And yes it's codecs you need but i'm as much use as a women reversing.

Fatload BoysDoCry

Can't get enough of FH
FFshow is a great set of codecs, although use VLC player and you won't have any problems with anything.

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Leahc said:
Windows Mediaplayer sucks. Try VLC instead :D

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Leahc
I prefer wmp over videolan to be honest, and i'm extremely anti-microsoft.
VLC's useability is far less than WMP. For instance, where are the controls in fullscreen mode in VLC? Yeahyeah, keys etc, but I really can't be arsed to first memorise all keys necessary in fullscreen mode etc.
Also, VLC's playlist mode is far from easy manageable...
Sure, VLC has gone great strifes since I first tried it back in 2000 orso, but to me it's still far from a well-rounded program.

Also, winamp is one of the better music players in my opinion, but its video capabilities seem to me a bit of an afterthought.

Although I've had to change a million settings in Windows Media Player to make it useable and safe, I still prefer it over anything I've found so far. I will however gladly move to another (preferably OSS and/or non-MS) videoplayer if I find one that's better.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Be warned that installing random/multiple codecs is a source of many potential problems with directx based games and applications. If you have problems that cant be fixed by uninstalling codecs, then uninstall media player and reinstall it, that fixes most codec problems and might be worth a shot.

Congax

Fledgling Freddie
Hell, you don't even need to use VLC player (link posted above somewhere) if you can't handle the crappy look. Just install him and it'll install the codecs aswell :>

Leahc

Fledgling Freddie
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
I prefer wmp over videolan to be honest, and i'm extremely anti-microsoft.
VLC's useability is far less than WMP. For instance, where are the controls in fullscreen mode in VLC? Yeahyeah, keys etc, but I really can't be arsed to first memorise all keys necessary in fullscreen mode etc.
Also, VLC's playlist mode is far from easy manageable...
Sure, VLC has gone great strifes since I first tried it back in 2000 orso, but to me it's still far from a well-rounded program.

Also, winamp is one of the better music players in my opinion, but its video capabilities seem to me a bit of an afterthought.

Although I've had to change a million settings in Windows Media Player to make it useable and safe, I still prefer it over anything I've found so far. I will however gladly move to another (preferably OSS and/or non-MS) videoplayer if I find one that's better.

I have to agree with this ^^ :)

I use Winamp for music and VLC for video only, once in a while I find a wmv file where I need to use WMP - because VCL don't play all kinds of wmv's.

VLC comes with almost all codecs, and could be a quick solution for the original poster tho.

Leahc

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Download and install DivX (you don't have to install the player just the codec but its the same install file)

http://www.divx.com/

Also download and install the AC3 codec from clicky

That'll let you play ANYTHING except the most rare of files. Exact setup I use, and I've found one file about four years I can't play.

GL :)

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
RS|Phil said:
Download and install DivX (you don't have to install the player just the codec but its the same install file)

http://www.divx.com/

Also download and install the AC3 codec from clicky

That'll let you play ANYTHING except the most rare of files. Exact setup I use, and I've found one file about four years I can't play.

GL :)
won't let you play anything... not by far. Can't play .mov with them, or mp4, or....

Besides, xvid beats divx, and can play divx movies as well :)
Koepi's codec is a good XviD codec. (direct download)

Then there's also Real Alternative, and Quicktime Alternative, which give your vidplayer of choice the ability to play Real media and quicktime movies :)

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Ill prolly get flamed for this by all the geeks in here saying "omg haxors virus zorrrrssss!", but i use acemegacodecs pack, just google for it, loads of codecs (some hacked yes) and players in it including an old style media player with all the tweaks.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
won't let you play anything... not by far. Can't play .mov with them, or mp4, or....

Besides, xvid beats divx, and can play divx movies as well :)
Koepi's codec is a good XviD codec. (direct download)

Then there's also Real Alternative, and Quicktime Alternative, which give your vidplayer of choice the ability to play Real media and quicktime movies :)

You're wrong. I can play everything on that setup, except Quicktime. Which isn't what he wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom