Windows installation problem

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
So, decided to upgrade my comp. Bought a p4 2.8 D with 2x1gb ram new gfx and a sata300 maxtor disc.

Problem is, when I install windows it boots up the cd fine and can locate my HD. But after windows is done loading drivers(after some googling this includes f6'ing to install HD drivers from manufacturer) after I get the msg setup is installing windows(still in text install) it crashes with a blue screen and I get a stop error.

stop: 0x0000007B (0xf78da63, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

From what I can read on microsofts webbie and from different sites via google. It has to do with HD drivers not being loaded properly and/or windows own drivers conflicting with the OEM from my floppy.

Ive tried just about everything now and still get this error msg.

Now Im curious if any of you have had this error and have been able to sort it?

I read on microsofts hp that one way was starting up from a floppy boot and copying the driver files to the temp install and windows dir. But they also start saying stuff like make a partition and make sure u can run fat32 so u can install it in the system32 folder.

Sounds like a BIG project and atm I cba.

So lemme know if any of you have an easier way.

/Dracus

Chronictank

FH is my second home
looks like a memory error to me
as you are able to post here you must have a working system to do this from :)

Download a program called Memtest from here :
http://www.memtest86.com/

Installation etc is pretty self explanitory, you will need a floppy disk.
Make sure you run a full format on the disk to make sure the disk is ok first, you dont want to get odd results because of a bad floppy drive.

Next thing it could be is your hdd has gone, easiest way would probably be to make the following bootable disk (so that you can scan ntfs drives in dos)
http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm?gclid=CPnRlMrp0YQCFU5_EAodeQrPWw
Run scandisk (or chkdsk), preferably a surface scan. takes a very long time but will verify the integrity of your drive.
Most hdd manufaturers provide diagnostic disks from their websites also that would be better than above as it will be a much more throtough examination of your drive.
A quicker method would be to take the drive out and stick it in another computer and run it from windows.

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Thx for the help. I hope it will sort it somehow, got plenty to start with :p

I cant install the drive in another comp, since its sata300 :( I even have a promise sata300 PCI controller card I just tried..excactly same result.

I really dont hope its a problem with any of the hardware since its all brand new and I had to send in 1 HD already with a different error :(

/Dracus

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
New turn of events...I tried installing a working sata150 HD on the onboard sata, excactly same error :p starting to piss me off now.

Havent had a chance to do what you suggested yet chron, ill do that next.

/Dracus

Joor

Can't get enough of FH
Your windows CD..does it have service pack 2 on, if yes you dont have to install any sata drivers.
Is is a SATA2 harddisk?

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
The CD has SP2 and yes its a sata2 or sata300 disc.

But its not the discs...Ive had a sata300, sata150 and ata133 disc and even started without discs and still got same error..am just in the process of gettin that memtest program to work.

/Dracus

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Chron, how many times does the memtest have to run? :p its on its 3rd pass now >_<

No errors yet tho :( no idea wtf is wrong.

/Dracus

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Fixed. I feel a right twat tbh. Turned out it was because the dvd I was installing from was on IDE3, which it apparently cant figure out...popped it on IDE1 and vóila :p

/Dracus

Chronictank

FH is my second home
hehe normally 1 pass is fine for a quick test, but you normally want 2-3 or so to get a comprehensive result
to save time its generally ok to run tests 5 and 8 to check stability, a full test is needed if you find them to be clean.

Just for future reference

Glad you got it sorted :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom