Windows Install Problem :x

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
I recently made a new computer using some old parts I found lying around gathering dust, specs are:

1.2 Tbird
40GB IDE HD
Abit KT7A-RAID
256MB RAM
Voodoo 3 AGP

I installed windows, removed it, installed Fedora Core 4, and now I'm trying to reinstall windows, since the linux file system baffles me too much. So I stick in the windows cd and it boots from the cd, and then it gets to "Installation is checking system hardware configuration..." and then it black screens, and it just sits there forever, not doing anything.

I would post this on the OcUK forums but I got banned for saying "fuck" :eek7:

If you can help cheers alot.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
My gut feeling says stick in a Windows 98 startup disk, and run "fdisk /mbr", then delete the linux partitions with fdisk and recreate them.

The /mbr resets the master boot partition, which may be where your problem is.

Darzil

DrunkSkunk

Fledgling Freddie
Darzil said:
My gut feeling says stick in a Windows 98 startup disk, and run "fdisk /mbr", then delete the linux partitions with fdisk and recreate them.

The /mbr resets the master boot partition, which may be where your problem is.

Darzil

some side question: does the use of "fdisk /mbr" formats the HDD, or makes the files on it unusable?

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
DrunkSkunk said:
some side question: does the use of "fdisk /mbr" formats the HDD, or makes the files on it unusable?
doesn't format the drive and shouldn't render the files unusable, but it's Microsoft, so don't automatically count on it for everything to work flawless ;)

here some more reading on fdisk /mbr

fixmbr is the replacing command in WinXP's repair console which is accessible by booting with the WinXP installation disk, so you don't necessary need a Win9x version for this. (actually perhaps better to use the WinXP one since that's probably also the one which created the partitions)

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
fixmbr is the replacing command in WinXP's repair console which is accessible by booting with the WinXP installation disk, so you don't necessary need a Win9x version for this. (actually perhaps better to use the WinXP one since that's probably also the one which created the partitions)

Thanks, that's useful to know.

In this case looks like it was Linux which created them.

Darzil

Herjulf

Banned
Dont push the red button reading ACHTUNG before you know what it does ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom