Windows command or way round...

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Im at work doing the software audits but i have a piece of software that i cant remove from a user's machine.

Normally we use our dollar accounts (Admin full access accounts) to access the command prompt (normal user's have this locked down). Im doing all this remotely by the way.

runas /user: DOMAIN\$USER cmd.exe
from here its addremove or if need be control appwiz.cpl

Anyways the software dont come up in there so i checked the directory c:\program files\gimp software and found it, when i goto remove it i receive a message its already running so cant be deleted. I checked task manager and its nowhere to be found (also in processes).

What i want to do is access msconfig so i can disable it from loading at startup.

Do i access the command prompt and type a nifty command to access this? or do i change the runas /user: DOMAIN\$USER cmd.exe via the Start>Run prompt to something else?

I have tried runas /user: DOMAIN\$USER msconfig.exe or just msconfig and nothing happens (asks for logon but nothing loads)

Edit:- I have put a space between : and D to avoid the poxy :D

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
The majority of startup apps are controlled through services or the registry.

Load up REGEDIT on your own computer and click FILE -> CONNECT NETWORK REGISTRY then specify the name of the remote machine, you need to browse the key called :-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

(or for services, if you have an XP/2003 machine just run "services.msc" and right click "Services (Local)" in the left window and select to connect to a different computer)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Alan said:
The majority of startup apps are controlled through services or the registry.

Load up REGEDIT on your own computer and click FILE -> CONNECT NETWORK REGISTRY then specify the name of the remote machine, you need to browse the key called :-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

(or for services, if you have an XP/2003 machine just run "services.msc" and right click "Services (Local)" in the left window and select to connect to a different computer)

with regedit i get a message about both parties have remote registry services or machine has remote desktop setup (am pretty sure what its asking has been locked down)

The services.msc we can access but i only have
All Tasks
View
New windows from here
Refresh
Export List
Help

hmmm Alan im sure Ford have done some pretty clever stuff to limit even the admins access. Oh well, thanks for your help though :)

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Ahh chances are the remote registry service is disabled/manual - thats needed to edit the registry remotely.

You can only connect to services on another machine if you are a power user/administrator of that box and you are connecting from an XP or 2003 server, but the "Connect to other computer" option is there when you right click on the left hand window.

Attachments

• services.gif
    services.gif
    9 KB · Views: 13

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Yeah we're setup in the active directory as admins but im 1st level support thus cba to do all that messing about to help some loser who will re-install the software an hour later.

can send it to the deskside team, can just log on the machine with their accounts.

Thanks again for the help Alan

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Alan said:

Replace Noob with Pro and add "with my momma" and the statement is correct.

Also you fancy your mum, Freud says so!

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
Replace Noob with Pro and add "with your momma" and the statement is correct.

Also you fancy your mum, Freud says so!

Whatever.... Mr 1st line support :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Alan said:
1st line = noob
3rd line = pro

ooh someone's bitchy this morning, so when you got 3rd level they must have taught you "Eliteness of the Shortsighted" and "Arrogance of the Twat" cause their both shining through at the moment!

Im happy with my job and i know enough about computers to not be a noob.

Playing the "ooh lets make fun as i am 3rd line and he's not card is sad".
Your probably older than me for a start.

Try not being a complete **** to others on the forums, i said thanks a few times for your help but due to our setup the company simply dont want us playing around with certain options.
Its true i was stuck but to be fair, 1st line shouldn't even do these things so im one "lucky noob" to investigate this sort of thing off my own back.

If you wanna rub people's noses in it about their job roles why not goto the 1st line in your company and insult them as well?

I dont give a fuck if you ban me or warn me for typing all this, you fucking have the cheek to mock me after i thanked you for the help? WTF is that all about?
I was appreciative of the help and i said that a few times, yet you had to get your little dig in.

I actually thought better of you, hell, even if you were joking around it was never portrayed as that.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
ooh someone's bitchy this morning,

lol - you should really update your "Location" field :) and yeah... i'm old... fancy a worthers original?

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Alan said:
lol - you should really update your "Location" field :) and yeah... i'm old... fancy a worthers original?

lol what for? its Irony that I left it as Tears.

Ah so you are older than me, so you werent born a genius and instantly went into 3rd line?

Seriously, im shocked you stooped so low

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Admins are Pro
3rd Line just think they are Pro's
At least 1st Line Know their Limits

:p

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
But in most jobs (including mine) .... Admin are the 3rd line.

A call comes into our helpdesk, they log it and try to fix it by their own knowledge or a knowledge base - then it gets passed to a more senior tech who can poke around the systems and try to resolve it - then it comes to me

Kind of a shame I rarely get to speak to a user anymore, just other techs.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
When i was working with locked down machines I usually just used runas to open the command promt and ran any other tools from there. Also did u select show prccess from all users?

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Alan said:
But in most jobs (including mine) .... Admin are the 3rd line.

A call comes into our helpdesk, they log it and try to fix it by their own knowledge or a knowledge base - then it gets passed to a more senior tech who can poke around the systems and try to resolve it - then it comes to me

Kind of a shame I rarely get to speak to a user anymore, just other techs.

Well 3rd line would be Admins, but i would argue that not all Admins are the top level Admins.

I have never worked anywhere where all 3rd line or Admins are Enterprise Admins. So they are still limited to what they can do and still have to clear top level changes with someone else.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
# runas
-bash: runas: command not found

Oh, and nothing beats support guys squabbling over which line is the best while noone realizes it's still just support they are doing. :)

No... devs, that's where the cool guys are! ;)

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Azathrim said:
# runas

Oh, and nothing beats support guys squabbling over which line is the best while noone realizes it's still just support they are doing. :)

Code:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\windows\system32>sudo
'sudo' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\windows\system32>

edit : Noob :)

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Azathrim said:
# runas

Wrong OS.

Well if it wasn't the Dev guys writing shit I guess us support bods would be out of work. :worthy:

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Mojo said:
Wrong OS.

Notice though, that I was the first in the thread to actually mention an OS - albeit indirectly. Alan (the noob) just wrote harsh language about The Pretenders malware. ;)

Mojo said:
Well if it wasn't the Dev guys writing shit I guess us support bods would be out of work. :worthy:

It have always been a mistake to allow users access to any system. They just screw it up and do nothing a shell script couldn't handle.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Azathrim said:
Notice though, that I was the first in the thread to actually mention an OS - albeit indirectly. Alan (the noob) just wrote harsh language about The Pretenders malware. ;)

It have always been a mistake to allow users access to any system. They just screw it up and do nothing a shell script couldn't handle.

mv Azathrim /dev/null

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
find / -user `grep ^you: /etc/passwd|cut -d: -f3` -a -name base -exec chown us.us {} \;

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Azathrim said:

Windows rocks, get onboard, u know u wanna. ;)

Azathrim said:

Back to me being out of work, that's not a good solution :p

Ryuno

Can't get enough of FH
lol what ever happened to Freddyshouse. Something really got Bahumats back up here. Chill man :eek:

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Azathrim said:
find / -user `grep ^you: /etc/passwd|cut -d: -f3` -a -name base -exec chown us.us {} \;

very nice - made me smile (ohh and the unix guy who sits next to me)

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Never bring a windows admin to a nix fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom