Windows Backup / Ghost

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
Sorry all out of luck, No Norton/Symantec products support x64 at the moment apart from Symantec anti-virus 9 and 10, why not just use the back-up utility that comes with Windows x64, that creates an image of your drive which you can use through the recovery console of your Windows x64 CD.

Saw this posted on another forum, i put my SATA drive in my PC today and im just creating partitions etc. I have Windows running on an IDE drive at the moment and i want to transfer to SATA and then remove the IDE drive.

Can i create a backup in XP pro 64 like what is mentioned above and use the recovery CD to restore it to my SATA drive?

Ta

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Don't know if what they suggest works, I thought the backup utility in windows was just for file backup, but Ghost should still work, it shouldn't care what O/S you are running. Else you could always use DD under unix/linux, as long as the partition sizes are the same, and are in the same order. You'd probably have to fix the MBR under the recovery disk though.

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
I nearly always use Ghost myself to back up but it has left me down a few times. Faulty DVD creation of images now and then. When I go to use them they don't work. Probably my own fault. But this has happened a few times and the trouble is you won't know the backup is faulty until you are desperate and need to restore. Bit of a pig. I haven't done much work on my site for a while and going to revamp it soon to concentrate on Free Games and Software etc. I have on there now though 7 backup programs that offer trials.

Backup

Uniblue Backup is a top performer and might be worth a try. I will probably test these myself soon.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
nlite is a handy little tool - you cn customise the windows installation to suit your own needs (including other programs in standard install etc)

http://nuhi.msfn.org/

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
Ta chaps. Norton Ghost 10 wouldn't install on my PC, need a 64 bit version.

Will check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom