Question Windows 7 User Accounts

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I usually only have 1 account on my PC eg "Admin". I have now had to setup another user account so that I can network the PC to my media streamer.

The "problem" I have now is that when I start the PC it presents me with two user accounts to login to. I find this very irritating as I would prefer it just went straight into windows without me having to login.

How do I set it that I just go straight into my "Admin" account without having to click my user icon?

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Sort this out by modifying some Winlogon registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Create new REG_SZ keys as follows:
AutoAdminLogon set to 1
DefaultPassword and DefaultUserName with the relevant details.

The AutoLogonCount value will tick down with each logon and stop the auto logging in after it reaches zero, but I believe you can just delete this.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Windows Help File said:
Turn on automatic logon

You can use automatic logon to log on to your computer without having to type a user name or password.

Warning
Using automatic logon can pose a security risk because anyone that has access to your computer will have access to your programs and personal files.

In the Search box, type control userpasswords2, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box, and then click Apply.

In the Automatically Log On dialog box, type your password, and then click OK.

In the User Accounts dialog box, click OK.

After you restart your computer, you will be able to log on automatically.
Hope that helps.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Thanks!

I'll give that a go but it sounds like it is more for if you have a password on your account...which I don't. The PC auto logged on when I only had the one user account.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
You get the option list whenever you have more than one account so it's pretty normal what has happened. Go for Meg's explanation - it's a piece of cake and no need to faff with the registry.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just add a password, and make it the same as your username if you don't want to remember it. It'll work fine, we use it on some of the work PC's that need to run shit at startup that can't be done as a service, like shitty scanner programmes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom