Windows 2000 AD Question

L

LTF

Right, this is all theory in my head at the moment, so it probably wont make sense, but i'd appreciate some help if anyone does understand it!
A user has a laptop at site 'a'
Laptop doesn't log into the 2000 domain 'a' because user has a roaming profile and uses his desktop on domain 'a' to log in (thus not to currupt roaming profile).
Laptop is a member of the domain, however user logs into into the laptop and not the domain 'a' (therefore can browse the network, receive mail etc)
User takes laptop to site 'b'
A different domain, user can see domain 'b' through a modified registry (other domains).
Still logs into the machine locally.
By using a second IP address on the nic to work with domain 'b', would he be instantly able to browse the network 'b'?
Now, he needs to print to a printer that is on the domain at site 'b', when trying to add a network printer, only domain 'a' shows up as browsable, the domain 'b' does not. (Probably becuase XP will only show the default domain?)
The printer is networked at site 'b', an HP5000, what would be the easiest way to print to this from the laptop?
Also, if user browses the network, does he use up a licence on the server?

Buh, doesn't even make sense to me now :(

J

Jonty

Hi d0nk3h

To be honest, I can't help, apart from to suggest that the user in question purchases a portable printer (like this) :)

Sorry I cannot be of more assistance

L

LTF

Heh, did it make sense?

He has a printer, just doesnt want to lug it around all the time!
Company are too tight to spend money, everything has to be done with sticky back plastic and egg cartons or for free!

T

Testin da Cable

your problem sounds slightly familiar tbh, but I'm sorry: my windoze days are _really_ far behind me. I can only advise scowering the newsgroups and mailinglists via google, or some other search medium, perhaps deja news if that's still around.

M

Mellow-

To print to another domain in AD you need the appropriate permissions.

p.s Your "descriptive" paragraph was really difficult to understand. :(

M

Mellow-

Make sure the users in question are global users and not just local. :p

K

kameleon

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
your problem sounds slightly familiar tbh, but I'm sorry: my windoze days are _really_ far behind me. I can only advise scowering the newsgroups and mailinglists via google, or some other search medium, perhaps deja news if that's still around.

elitist :D

Q

Quige

OK, I've not faced this exact situation, but I'll suggest a few things that might help from my experience.

I don't know if this is going to be possible because you don't explain much about your network setup at domain 'a', but I would suggest that if the nic in the laptop is set to DHCP it should just pick up an IP from either domain 'a' or 'b' as it's connected to each. The dhcp business doesn't know anything about Windows domains and security.

Next I would suggest that the user is set up with the same username on domain 'a', 'b' and the local laptop.
With NT/W2K/XP I would expect an unauthorised user attempting to access a share, for example, to be challenged to submit a valid username and password if the one that is used to access the resurce isn't recognised.

To give a personal example I used to work mainly on one domain on a laptop, but would occasionaly have to visit remote sites ... as long as I had, or just knew a valid account on the domain I was visiting, I would just go to the run box, type \\servername - I would be asked for a valid username/password/domain, I pop it in and I could then browse the resources on that server.

This type of arrangement might work in your situation, but it can be a pain to administrate as there are 3 accounts and their passwords to keep in sync - not a problem if you don't have a password expiry policy in place, but not the most secure solution.

Again, you don't say much about how related the 2 domains are in the real world, but if you could set a trust up between the domains, then the user would be offered the choice of logging on at domain 'b' to domain 'a'.

Hope that might help.

Users who are viewing this thread