Winamp5 Released

F

FatBusinessman

Now comes the ultimate question:

Winamp or iTunes?

*is torn*

W

whipped

I've still yet to try iTunes. But as I can't be assed doing any work today I may as well give both of them a go.

W

worMatty

I think with 5 they're trying to work their way up to 9, to rival WMP. You don't just skip a whole number as a joke. Not when 2's had all those tiny increments.

In six months' time they'll try some fancy calculation to get it up to 9, and it'll all end up looking like Countdown.

S

(Shovel)

I tried the betas, and while it was overall pretty nice, memory usage wasn't bad compared to the bloater of Winamp 3, I just didn't feel inspired by it. Including the "Milk" AVS by default was nice though :)

I'm a bit of an iTunes convert these days, I like the way it integrates together, I'm not keen on the "lots of separate boxes" styling of Winamp. The Media library of iTunes is much better. -- With it all being in XML as well I'll be able to script something to put my top 25 tunes onto my website every night, not that that's going to be of much appear to people who just want to listen to music ;)

B

bigbb

mmm, I like this. Tres bien Nullsoft.

Even less resource intensive than W3, surely not?

W

worMatty

Indicative that they were going wrong with 3, somewhere? I stuck to 2 throughout because it didn't crash, or mangle my playlists with random character strings.

S

Swift^

I tried 3 near an early stage, and gave up after a couple of weeks use. Hideously buggy, and performed like utter utter shit.

Later versions are ok, but not great.

It all went downhill from 2.2* when AOL bought out nullsoft...

D

Deadmanwalking

When i could be arsed with it Winamp 3 was fine for me :eek:

C

.Cask

I like it. 3 started crashing my PC so have been looking forward to a new version.

S

Sar

WA 2.XX = nads
WA 3.XX = bads
iTunes = Not Bad.

I'll d/l it and give it a whizz.

Although I'm quite happy with iTunes atm.

F

Furr

agree, WM9 doesn't give me any probs so dont see a point in changing

E

ECA

erk bottom of the tick icons *Place AOL icon on desktop*

Shudder.

S

]SK[

Ah didnt know AOL brought them. Did think why they were asking me to install that on my desktop. Least thats the only thing in the program realting it to AOL.

M

~Mobius~

Mine won't find any online TV channels, it just refreshes continiously. Any idea why?

S

Sar

Dunno, works fine for me.

Can't get onto the pr0n channels though.

*dang*

:D

J

Jonaldo

Used Sonique for a long time and never had any problems with it at all. Winamp always seemed shit, dunno what people went on about it for.

*shrug*

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Sar
Dunno, works fine for me.

Can't get onto the pr0n channels though.

*dang*

:D

Thats because your other half has disabled them....dirty man :p

S

Sar

Originally posted by Embattle
Thats because your other half has disabled them....dirty man :p

I'd be amazed if she knew what an mp3 was.

:)

S

Sharma

Wheee, Winamp now shuffling my 1000 song playlist...wheeeh. :D

The functionality of this new release it quite good compared to Winamp 3. ;)

C

caLLous

So I start playing a song in WinAMP 5, and after about 5 minutes, my CPU usage shoots up to 100% and the only way of resolving it is a reboot (usually reset because it's not responding to anything). I've tried ending the winamp exe in task manager, it ends it but still says I'm running at 100% CPU usage. There's no visible process that's using anywhere near 100%, so what's going on? :(

S

Sharma

Heh, im barely edging on 15% load with Winamp 5, irc, mozilla and msn running ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom