Win2K killed my PC

W

Will

Win2K killed my PC - I get as far as detecting hardware, then the system locks up totally, then - my first blue screen of death.

Any ideas?

S

SoWat

The blue screen should give you some idea which file is causing the problems. Post the name here (so we can all taunt you further;)).

T

Testin da Cable

it's not the "I forgot to get the win2k version of driver X" BSOD is it?
:D

P

Perplex

Yep, looks that way. Bet it's a scsi/ata controller driver

W

Will

You'll all have to hold on till later - I'm still working till 11pm, but a phone-call home (after 8pm when they stop listening to me) will give me the message.
Just to go a bit more into it, you may well be right - I took out all my spare components, so all that it is in my box is my gfx card, my floppy, my CD-ROM, or my hard drive.

W

Will

Here we go
Code:
***STOP: 0x0000007A (OxE121CC88, 0xC0000185, 0xA00DA5B7, 0x03B1B860)
***ADDRESS A00BA5B7 BASE AT A0000000, DATESTAMP 384388ss7 - WIN32K.SYS
Then some crap about dump of physical memory - we've all read it before.
If you don't recognise this message, then I did get it over the phone, so forgive me.

W

Will

It's my ATA66 driver - just got to change my drive to 33 or find an updated driver. If this is horribly wrong, let me know.:)

W

Will

Cheers tdc - if you come visit Edinburgh I'll buy you a pint.:cool:
(I'm probably safe)

T

Testin da Cable

bwahaha I've been known to do very silly things for a pint m8ey :)
nehoo, to give an example [the driver, not the things I do for beer] my raid adapter caused stop errors with w2k but an ickle update [actually two ickle updates] cured that nicely :)

W

Will

Maxtor drivers are a bitch to find. All I could see was this which seems a bit over the top. Am I on the right track, or am I playing a different sport entirely?

T

Testin da Cable

mmm don't think thats it dude
Perplex and I were thinking more along the lines of you running an ultra66 controller or a built in raid card or something.
I believe those drivers are to tweak the way your ide talks to the drive, not w2k talking to your ide

W

Will

Master, your words of wisdom sail straight over my head.

W

Will

Ignore me - I'm a moron. SHow me a wrong tree and I'll bark up it untill I fall off the top.

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by ItchyTrigaFinga
Master, your words of wisdom sail straight over my head.

learn much you must young padawan :)

S

SoWat

Take a look here . There's a load of stuff about STOP errors, and your one (7A and C0000185) is about halfway down the page.

W

Will

Sorry to drag this out, but how do I fix it. Me and my rl mates are all stuped. If it's any help, I have an Asus A7Pro mobo and a Maxtor ata/66 hd.

T

Testin da Cable

Stop 0x7A is usually caused by a bad block (sector) in a paging file, a virus, a disk controller error, or failing RAM. In rare cases, it is caused when nonpaged pool resources run out. It is also caused by defective hardware.

SCSI problems. If the I/O status is C0000185 and the paging file is on a SCSI disk, check the disk cabling and SCSI termination for problems.

your mobo has an ata66 controller built in. it's either a promise [www.promise.com] or a highpoint iirc. sniff around the asus site to see what they have to say about w2k and drivers.
also, do what ms says and check your cables are well seated. change em around with a spare set to see if that brings an improvement

P

Perplex

Originally posted by Perplex
Yep, looks that way. Bet it's a scsi/ata controller driver

Originally posted by ItchyTrigaFinga
It's my ATA66 driver - just got to change my drive to 33 or find an updated driver. If this is horribly wrong, let me know.:)

Man I'm goooooooooooood :D :D :clap:

W

Will

I've given up - there is a total lack of ATA66 files with asus, and I want my PC to work. Back to 98 (ctrl-alt-del anyone):(

S

SoWat

Well I've just looked around the Asus site, and there's loads of stuff about ATA66. Bios, drivers, you name it.

W

Will

Really - maybe I'm a cripple - give me a link please, I'll be really happy, I'll even post a happy smillie

T

Testin da Cable

post one now and I'll think about it :)

C

.cage

Just ordering my new kit from Scan - On the subject of win2k, will this sys have any problems running it? (I.e. any dodgy drivers or incompatability?)

Some Asus Mobo (Not got the exact model # to hand atm..)
1.2ghz Athlon
256MB 133MHZ SDRAM
Asus GF2MX (I'll be using nvidia referance drivers of course)
3COM PCI Nic (For Blueyonder)
Creative Soundblaster 512
TDK Cd-rw (IDE)
Creative 12x DVD (IDE)
41GB hdd (IDE)

Gonna have to get another cd though, borrowed a mates to install on this comp, dies on boot (NTLDR not found!) albeit he'd got it working previously.

S

SoWat

You should be able to navigate to the sections you need from here.

Good luck!

W

Will

Cheers, I looked at that earlier, but ignored it as not specific enough to my problem. That's why I'm the one with the broken PC, and you are the ones giving advice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom